• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "snowbound and stranded at home, relying on lifts from neighbours in their 4x4s"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Top tip:

Over the last 3 days my drive has developed its own mini glacier, half a bag of dishwasher salt did the trick.
    I'm short on salt whatever I had left I emptied at the top of the drive, so I have 5 ft clear and 25ft not.

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    They do. I live well outside the M25 and have had them deliver.
    OK - they have expanded, but not to my postcode. But this info is useful, it shows I CAN walk back....

Shop for groceries in branch:
    Step 1 Book a delivery slot
    Step 2 Shop and pay in branch
    Step 3 Leave your bags at the checkout
    Step 4 We'll deliver to your door
    Minimum order? You can use this service for orders of any value
    Costs £5 for delivery of orders less than £50
    £3 for delivery of orders over £50
    Only problem is, it doesn't say where you book the delivery slot in the first place????

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    PPPPPP

My folks live on the edge of Dartmoor. It seems like you need similar winter precautions for your neck of the woods...

You'd probably be alright with snow socks which you can also drive (sensibly) on cleared roads.
    Snow socks? WTF are snow socks? Oh do you mean these? - are they any good? Do you need to take them off again once you reach a gritted road?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I can see the main road from my window.

Traffic is now moving at walking pace through the slushy snow that now covers the road

Leave a comment:

• welsh1927
    replied
    thats the reports i've had from back home. Problem is I have a Mario Kart final against a permie at 3pm so i have to stay around to beat him (yep I'm that busy today!!)

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Snow is actually starting to settle on the freshly gritted road now. as low as - 4 deg forecast for tonight, so the roads tomorrow are going to be impassable.

Mrs D may have to stay home from work

Leave a comment:

• welsh1927
    replied
    hmmm...it keeps starting and stopping here. But i live up Pontypridd way and it's coming down up there now. AS long as i can get home I'm happy, may have to give the mother-in-laws a miss tomorow....ahhh well

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Blimey!

The snow is really chucking down here now!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    My car is rear wheel drive - it doesn't do snow
    We have a couple of inches up here in Manchester I took my car out once on Monday to the local shops to buy some heavy stuff, slithered all over my road and will not take it out again until I can see the tarmac!

I will walk or take taxis.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Yep, the quote was for Vredestein Ultrac Extremes. However, they`re 18" wheels (225*45*18 and 255*40*18).. THink I`m better off getting a cheap banger for winter and bunging some winters on that, except I have no room for two cars at present
    Park it on my drive, I have room for about 9 vehicles and have only got the two now.

It is in S Wales mind

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    cheap winter tyres

£930 is a bit steep!!!
    Yep, the quote was for Vredestein Ultrac Extremes. However, they`re 18" wheels (225*45*18 and 255*40*18).. THink I`m better off getting a cheap banger for winter and bunging some winters on that, except I have no room for two cars at present

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    it says £130 FOR SET OF 4 FITTED TO YOUR CAR
    "MATCHING PAIRS" - wot, no matching sets of four?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    cheap winter tyres

£930 is a bit steep!!!
    it says £130 FOR SET OF 4 FITTED TO YOUR CAR

Leave a comment:

• welsh1927
    replied
    well as quick as it started it's stopped.

I've got to drive to the middle of Dartmoor tomorrow...think i may need a spade or two!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    cheap winter tyres

£930 is a bit steep!!!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by welsh1927 View Post
    hmmm turning to snow now...watch the permies run home
    We've already got a few inches of snow!

That's why I put the snow chains and spade in the car, ready to go pick the missus up from work at 6

Leave a comment:

• welsh1927
    replied
    hmmm turning to snow now...watch the permies run home

Leave a comment:

Working...
X