• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

snowbound and stranded at home, relying on lifts from neighbours in their 4x4s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    If you're at work or whatever you are still responsible so you have to arrange for a 3rd party to do it for you.
    That is the advantage of living in a decent apartment block - the Hauswart does that job for yer.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

BBC weather forecast = heavy rain or Showers, Temp 1 - 2 deg

Actual = -3 deg and chucking it down with snow

It's a winter wonderland
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Purely out of interest, can one purchase such esoteric things as winter tyres in the UK?
        I looked around for a set when I needed new tyres recently and there is hardly any market for them. Even using a large supplier down SOuth, they would have to order them from abroad as they don`t carry any stock themselves. And they could only find one manufacturer with stock availablity at present. The cost of four was £930, yet summer high performance tyres cost around £560 which they hold in stock. Might have more luck if you have just a run of the mill FWD car though.

Preferably you`d need a spare old crappy set of wheels to put the winters on, or pay more to keep changing them over each spring or winter.
        Last edited by SuperZ; 23 December 2009, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          Preferably you`d need a spare old crappy set of wheels to put the winters on, or pay more to keep changing them over each spring or winter.
          You are best off having spare wheels. If you are going to get fancy alloys fitted to a new car, make sure you hang on to the old ones.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

where about in S Wales are you Diver...i'm the big 'diff and it's just raining here

Comment

Originally posted by welsh1927 View Post
              where about in S Wales are you Diver...i'm the big 'diff and it's just raining here
              1/2 way up the side of a mountain/big hill Pontypool way

Comment

hmmm turning to snow now...watch the permies run home

Comment

Originally posted by welsh1927 View Post
                  hmmm turning to snow now...watch the permies run home
                  We've already got a few inches of snow!

That's why I put the snow chains and spade in the car, ready to go pick the missus up from work at 6

Comment

cheap winter tyres

£930 is a bit steep!!!
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

well as quick as it started it's stopped.

I've got to drive to the middle of Dartmoor tomorrow...think i may need a spade or two!!

Comment

Working...
                      X