• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Am I being tight

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Am I being tight"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I'm don't really understand this talk of paying girlfriends for sexual services. What happened to people loving each other?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Can you tell us what you already have, and what she is asking for?

I don't mind around Xmas/birthday when the missus hints at a certain perfume, DVD/CD, etc as it makes it easier - but an extra £300?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I've always been careful with my money stems from the fact I didnt have much when I was young and now I have a bit of income I don't want to blow it. Its my current gf's birthday next week and already its cost me the best of £400 she has also mentioned something else now she would like to do but its pushing it up to around £700 all in. Usually I could afford it but have spent sh*t loads last 4 months renovating house and still have a load to spend so £700 seems alot at the moment. Do you think I'm being tight if I say no its too much even though I could afford it really ?
    No - you're being stupid for spending so much money on her in the first place.

Doing something special doesn't need to cost money - any idiot can spend money, it takes more thought to do something special though.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Is there any chance she's mentioned this second gift thinking that either

a) the £400 present she mentioned first might have been too expensive and she was giving you a cheaper alternative? or

b) you may not have heard time she mentioned gift A, because Mr Jumbo was firmly in the driving seat at the time, and she's just dreading the black and red lingerie that every other bloke probably bought her before?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    No not looking for approval of what I'm doing probably just someone to tell me to come to my senses which is the general feeling I'm getting from the thread. I would rather ask the question anonousmly then ask people I know. I always seem to go for the wrong type of girl if I'm honest.
    As everyone else is saying, if she is aware you have spent 400 quid and is asking for MORE, she has some dubious morals - doesn't matter if you're a millionaire, money still has value. How cringeworthy. I haaate talking about money with boyfs or potential boyfs, can't imagine asking for more for a birthday. How rude!

Don't get her what she's asked for and if she truly kicks up a stink you know for sure what she's really after.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

So you're not really a bike courier then, RH????
    It's classified. I can't talk about it. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Ok. Next time you meet a potential girlfriend, and she asks what you do, tell her you work as the fluffer on the Graham Norton show. If she stays with you, it's true love. Either that or she wants to 'turn' him. In either case, it'll be interesting.

So you're not really a bike courier then, RH????

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That would be the 23 really crap years, would it?
    ROFLLLL!!! Pure gold!! LMFAO

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Tell her you are giving up contracting to work with handicapped which pays £5p/h. Watch for the reaction.

Good strategy.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by LostInBrussels View Post
    We've been married 7 glorious years, and she has stuck with me through some very bad times.
    That would be the 23 really crap years, would it?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Just say you work for the 'government', the pay's not all it's cracked up to be, and leave it at that. Any questions around earnings or job specifics should be deflected/avoided politely and tactfully. Avoid anecdotes about tornado flights & spagetti.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Tell her you are giving up contracting to work with handicapped which pays £5p/h. Watch for the reaction.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Seriously, you could just describe your job to GFs in a way that seems financially 'stable' enough, yet not overly attractive to gold-diggers. And not flash the cash about. And massively underestimate your net earnings if you have to tell her.
    Binman would fit the bill.....

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Seriously, you could just describe your job to GFs in a way that seems financially 'stable' enough, yet not overly attractive to gold-diggers. And not flash the cash about. And massively underestimate your net earnings if you have to tell her.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I always seem to go for the wrong type of girl if I'm honest.
    Ok. Next time you meet a potential girlfriend, and she asks what you do, tell her you work as the fluffer on the Graham Norton show. If she stays with you, it's true love. Either that or she wants to 'turn' him. In either case, it'll be interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X