• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I being tight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    No not looking for approval of what I'm doing probably just someone to tell me to come to my senses which is the general feeling I'm getting from the thread. I would rather ask the question anonousmly then ask people I know. I always seem to go for the wrong type if I'm honest.
    I think you're being generous enough with the £400 so far tbh. If you're not comfortable with what else she's asking then don't do it.

Comment

You are not a tight git. I am.

I never paid more than 40 gbp for my wife's presents before we got married. I never even bought her an engagement ring. I would have if she had wanted one, but she was not the kind to worry about these things too much.

We've been married 7 glorious years, and she has stuck with me through some very bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        I always seem to go for the wrong type of girl if I'm honest.
        Ok. Next time you meet a potential girlfriend, and she asks what you do, tell her you work as the fluffer on the Graham Norton show. If she stays with you, it's true love. Either that or she wants to 'turn' him. In either case, it'll be interesting.

Comment

Seriously, you could just describe your job to GFs in a way that seems financially 'stable' enough, yet not overly attractive to gold-diggers. And not flash the cash about. And massively underestimate your net earnings if you have to tell her.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Seriously, you could just describe your job to GFs in a way that seems financially 'stable' enough, yet not overly attractive to gold-diggers. And not flash the cash about. And massively underestimate your net earnings if you have to tell her.
            Binman would fit the bill.....

Comment

Tell her you are giving up contracting to work with handicapped which pays £5p/h. Watch for the reaction.

Comment

Just say you work for the 'government', the pay's not all it's cracked up to be, and leave it at that. Any questions around earnings or job specifics should be deflected/avoided politely and tactfully. Avoid anecdotes about tornado flights & spagetti.

Comment

Originally posted by LostInBrussels View Post
                  We've been married 7 glorious years, and she has stuck with me through some very bad times.
                  That would be the 23 really crap years, would it?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                    Tell her you are giving up contracting to work with handicapped which pays £5p/h. Watch for the reaction.

Good strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      That would be the 23 really crap years, would it?
                      ROFLLLL!!! Pure gold!! LMFAO
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X