• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got the time on you cock?"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    It's cos they've gotta order the parts from abroad innit.
    Watch body from Germany, innards from China and the leather strap from Brazil.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If a £20k watch takes over a year to make, that's not a great profit. I don't understand why it takes so long though, or how many watches someone can make in parallel over that year.
    It's cos they've gotta order the parts from abroad innit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I don't understand why it takes so long though
    Artificial control of supply in order to keep higher prices.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'll send it to my daughter and encourage her to abandon a physics career, and take a job as a watchmaker's apprentice.
    If a £20k watch takes over a year to make, that's not a great profit. I don't understand why it takes so long though, or how many watches someone can make in parallel over that year.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrokenGKey View Post
    How did he afford that on his MPs salary? Wonder what his expenses bill and register of interests entries say....
    Maybe he bought a house 15 years ago and sold it 5 years ago, making £100k. Hardly unusual or sinister.

Leave a comment:

• BrokenGKey
    replied
    How did he afford that on his MPs salary? Wonder what his expenses bill and register of interests entries say....

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Elsewhere in Daily Mail Expensive Watch News

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...000-Rolex.html

containing the all-important house price information.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    up the Oxo Tower.
    Up the Hammers!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I'm sure he has, but luckily it will have fallen on stoney ground.
    up the Oxo Tower.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Thanks for the link. I'll send it to my daughter and encourage her to abandon a physics career, and take a job as a watchmaker's apprentice.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Perfectly adequate. I have a similar Timex one.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    For £20k, it's remarkably restrained. Just looks like a fairly decent man's watch to me.

Anyway why is this news? How many people here have spent £20k more than they needed to to get an Audi/BMW instead of a perfectly adequate Ford/Toyota? How many here could afford a £20k watch if they wanted one? I should think quite a few... Prawn could buy us all watches if he wanted

Indeed

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    For £20k, it's remarkably restrained. Just looks like a fairly decent man's watch to me.

Anyway why is this news? How many people here have spent £20k more than they needed to to get an Audi/BMW instead of a perfectly adequate Ford/Toyota? How many here could afford a £20k watch if they wanted one? I should think quite a few... Prawn could buy us all watches if he wanted

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    I do hope that Mandelson hasn't passed on his demonseed...
    I'm sure he has, but luckily it will have fallen on stoney ground.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Are Labour politicians supposed to walk round in hobnailed boots and donkey jackets then, doffing their flat caps to any Tory politicians they happen to encounter?
    Oh God! Where did this one crawl out from.

You're not one of Derek Draper's tools are you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X