• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jumped up middle managers"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    As long as you are able to view a fiver increase in your bonus as more important than staff morale you will get along just fine.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    7) You agree to stupid things just because it enhances your bonus...
    One senior manager need to save a million on his budget, so that he could meet his targets and get his bonus. So he changed the bonus system for his department, so that the expected amount was suddenly halved.

Unfortunately the bonus system was in place for staff retention. So all the good people started looking for, and getting, new jobs.

His bonus? £50,000. A couple of years later, with his departmental performance way down, he was unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
    I used to despise them as a contractor. Now I fear I am turning into one since going permie. So far the following characteristics have me worried:

1) I no longer do any 'real' hands-on work
    2) I am a great delegator and often get the credit for my teams efforts
    3) I spend a lot of time in pointless meetings
    4) I am filled with my own sense of self importance (to be fair that was true during my contracting days)
    5) I have managed to build myself a nice little empire

Am I middle-management scum? What other signs do I need to look out for?

The other signs to look out for are:

6) You change things just for the sake of change
    7) You agree to stupid things just because it enhances your bonus

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I went into middle management for a while. Now I get my hands dirty regularly for considerably higher income, no politics, less stress and more holidays.

Middle management is fine if your boss is on your side. But woe betide you if he should leave and someone who you don't get on with ( or is tasked with reducing headcount) is suddenty managing you. Then you've no hard skills to fall back on, and middle managers are two-a-penny.

The best places to be are just before the management level, or senior management, where you can easily switch into another senior role.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    (6) Without any actual evidence, people start to assume you play golf
    Thin end of the wedge that. Next they start to assume what your political views are and what kind of films/books/tv/holidays you like.

Leave a comment:

• cupidstunt
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    This is actually true. I even get invited by rec agents these days

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    After a certain age a gentleman should not have to get his hands dirty.
    I'm of the age when I 'get my hands dirty', in the professional sense, is when it all goes wrong. I need to pull my finger out and get to the stage when I can afford to get some 'help' in to do the actual work.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Here's to 20 more years of 'coasting' and early retirement
    Don't knock it.

Leave a comment:

• cupidstunt
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Join the club.
    Early thirties and feel I have arrived

Here's to 20 more years of 'coasting' and early retirement

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I used to despise them as a contractor. Now I fear I am turning into one since going permie. So far the following characteristics have me worried:

3) I spend a lot of time in pointless meetings
    4) I am filled with my own sense of self importance (to be fair that was true during my contracting days)
    5) I have managed to build myself a nice little empire

Am I middle-management scum? What other signs do I need to look out for?
    Join the club.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    face it, you aspire to be Alan Partridge or David Brent

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    1) doesn't make you bad, it's quite reasonable you simply don't have time to get your hands dirty anymore.

2)Sounds like a good thing (the delegation part); of course you get the credit from up-high, it's your responsibility to pass positive feedback down to the plebs and absorb negative feedback on yourself as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• cupidstunt
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Yes.

HTH.

What makes it worse is that I feel quite content

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Am I middle-management scum?