• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Beeping...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Beeping..."

Collapse

• Grinder
    replied
    These are mostly automated diallers phoning sequences of numbers to establish whether there is a genuine phone at each number. These are logged for cold-calling later. Joining the TPS seemed to solve it.

Then we had regular calls from from a number that did return a caller ID. I Googled the number and it turned out to be that the previous user of our new phone number had an Amstrad internet phone - which apparently received daily calls from Amstrad for adverts and such like. I phoned the call centre and had our number removed from the daily calls.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    ... but it would be a shame to ignore the doc, the sources of income, the tax office, my partner .... none of these is withholding their number because they are sleazy.
    I bet you wish she was...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    DP is talking bollocks, shock!! horror!! There are a lot of links in the chain to get a caller's ID to you, including all the carriers on the way, and you depend on them all carrying it.

You may be called by someone from a company or organisation that is not able to send the exact caller's ID, and choose not to send any ID, rather than send the "reception" number. Often the person calling will not be aware that their TN is not being sent. This applies to my doctor, and to agencies that have got me 6-figures-worth of contracts.

When you go international it gets even more likely that caller ID will not be carried all the way along the chain.

Yes I have thought of rejecting all no-caller-ID calls, but it would be a shame to ignore the doc, the sources of income, the tax office, my partner .... none of these is withholding their number because they are sleazy.
    Last edited by expat; 18 May 2009, 12:24.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Hmm, I have the PC connected to my phoneline for broadband, will that allow it to accept normal phone calls through the microfilter thingie?
    If there's a way to do that then I'm not aware of one, the usual way is to use a modem and some fax software.

My call provider says they cannot tell who is calling me, they only monitor outgoing calls from my number. Sounds a bit useless to me, maybe that's a price you pay for not using BT for your line rental.
    That's total flannel, they've fobbed you off. The provider can get the info from BT and BT can easily trace the origin of calls that route through their network, there are quite a few legal reasons that they have to be able to do this.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    When my parents ring from home, the number is withheld - think it's because it's an Irish phone number, so that wouldn't work really would it DP?
    Call from Ireland should come through as International - not withheld.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    It's R2D2.
    Something about Luke and the princess being stuck in a trash compactor.
    He was trying to stop it but the number in his directory was missing the galactic dialling code for Lord Vaders ship.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WHS

I got WinFax hooked up to catch it. One snotty phonecall later threatening to tell the dept who run the TPS about them stopped the faxes.
    Hmm, I have the PC connected to my phoneline for broadband, will that allow it to accept normal phone calls through the microfilter thingie?

My call provider says they cannot tell who is calling me, they only monitor outgoing calls from my number. Sounds a bit useless to me, maybe that's a price you pay for not using BT for your line rental.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Try hooking up a FAX to receive the incoming FAX. If that works, you'll at least know who the sender(s) is/are.
    WHS

I got WinFax hooked up to catch it. One snotty phonecall later threatening to tell the dept who run the TPS about them stopped the faxes.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    <watches DP's lead balloon disappear from sight...>

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    He's not new and no I don't.
    <watches DP's lead balloon disappear from sight...>

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'll call my phone provider (not BT) now we're officially set up - we've kept the old number I think but were in limbo while being transitioned with the provider.

It seems odd since we have not had a single cold-call since moving on, ONLY this damn beeping... today it's gone critical, multiple calls per hour.

I'm not sure blocking withheld numbers would work. Call centres (who do call with genuine reasons sometimes!) sometimes come up as hidden IIRC, as do international calls last time I had caller ID... and it's very annoying if someone has to change their mobile phone settings to be able to call me.

If I find out what it is, I'll report back...

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I get calls from abroad no problem. You've probably got sleazy parents to go with the new boyfriend.
    He's not new and no I don't.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    When my parents ring from home, the number is withheld - think it's because it's an Irish phone number, so that wouldn't work really would it DP?
    I get calls from abroad no problem. You've probably got sleazy parents to go with the new boyfriend.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Nope. My GP and hospital does not withhold their numbers.

Only sleazy ****ers withhold their numbers.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Can anyone suggest what it is and/or how we can get it stopped?
    Get registered with the Telephone Preference Service. It may be automated cold calling. They auto-dial a number of lines per operator; the first victim to pick u gets the cold call; the others get (normally) silence. It might be that.

And register with the Mailing preference Service while you are at it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X