• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just accepted an offer from the dark side"

Collapse

• eliquant
    replied
    360 reviews in permiedom ... more like 90 degrees (bent over a table) reviews !

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    good luck snaw

5 years on the dark side,360 reviews, united way the works. yuk.

But I can pay the mortgage and make a few quid on the side.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Darn, now you've blown a hole in the BNP trolls argument.
    I do always advise if applying for a public sector job, when filling out the application form tick something really obscure for ethnic origin.

If they dont have a "Jedi Night" or "Green Spotted Scientologist" working for them you can guarantee you will be hired.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    the only permies with any protection whatsoever are women/gay/ethnic minority and all three if they want some real protection
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Nope, in my current place 2x permie women who were of ethnic minority origin got the chop as did a white middle class bloke who was in his 30s with a family.

Just goes to show, don't rely on IT permie (or contracting) for anything.

No matter 'how good' you think you are.

These people were not hopeless by any stretch of the imagination and were actually quite capable.
    Darn, now you've blown a hole in the BNP trolls argument.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Hangover
    replied
    I'll give you a week before you capitulate and go back to the bench

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I really hope to be able to avoid staff jobs. My contract runs to June. I hope the client co wins the next phase of the project that they're now bidding for. The next phase runs for around another year I believe. It's grim out there so this seems to be the only realistic show in town for me. If push came to shove then I'd do staff rather than the bench but the thought of £1800 a month take home and 5 weeks holiday with a couple of hundred quid pension contribution worries me. Presently I manage £4k a month take home, 8 weeks a year off and a £1k a month into the pension. Still, I wouldn't starve though. Look on the bright side.............

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Nope, in my current place 2x permie women who were of ethnic minority origin got the chop as did a white middle class bloke who was in his 30s with a family.

Just goes to show, don't rely on IT permie (or contracting) for anything.

No matter 'how good' you think you are.

These people were not hopeless by any stretch of the imagination and were actually quite capable.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    permie rights

the only permies with any protection whatsoever are women/gay/ethnic minority and all three if they want some real protection

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    I endured 2 years of this.

And I didn't get any of the training or exposure to the stuff that was promised. Funnily enough, the training budget was the first thing to be axed when times got tough.

In the end I retrained myself in my spare time, practised and blagged a little - result was I was back out contracting with the new stuff.

So if you want anything you'll have to do it yourself as your employer cares as much about your future as the Government does about your health. Depsite what either may claim, it is not very much really!

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    PS I think you have to work two years to gain redunancy from a 'contract of employment of non-specific duration' and it is one week per year - so thats two weeks pay - then taxed.
    It's not taxed. But it is capped at about £330 per week.

Non contractual redundancy payments upto £30,000 are not taxed. However contractual payments are taxed - save for the amount equivalent to statutory redundancy.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Actually, the main reason I'm doing it. Gonna get a lot of exposure to stuff I don't have - problem with working in banks for so long is you leave yourself kind of exposed to the rest of the industries needs when the banks all come crashing down.
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I thought that you had started a contract with the T-man then

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    CCIE and you can't get a contract?
    That is worrysome.
    Feckin tell me about it - I been looking since the turn of the year, and I had one interview for a contract role - went to another CCIE, who took less money (In retrospect, I would now have lowered my rate to match his).

My ex boss, at a bank was telling me how a year ago he couldn't get CCIE's on board permie. He advertised a role 6 months ago and got 80 applications, narrowed it down to 20 and they were almost all CCIE's ...

I dunno about other areas of IT, but infrastructure side right now in London is brutal - none of the banks are hiring, there are loads of people looking cause projects have frozen and head counts are reduced + no one in contracts is moving, then rates are off I'd say at least 25% since this time last year. Doomed.

I'll do this a year, I get some serious exposure to technologies I'm weak on (MPLS primarily) and I do some technical pre-sales stuff as well which can't hurt.

Still not particularily ecstatic, but I'm coming round to accepting it as a sort term fix out of this economic hole we're all in.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    How many times do I have to say it permie land is a con trick.

Start in a place permie and you have no employee rights for the first year (you can get chucked out and the employer doesn't even have to give a reason).
    Yes but it's still better than not having a contract, if you can't land an interview anywhere else.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Training? You didn't fall for that one did you?

That means they give you a brochure full of noddy courses like 'shoelace-tying for beginners' or 'intermediate velcro' and enough budget to go on about 1 in 4 of them.
    During a recession staff whom have a contract of non-specfic duration tend not to regsiter for training courses - least they be listed for the chop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X