• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contractor V Perm.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor V Perm."

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Oh dear. You contractors are such a boorish lot.

Now, if you'd only had the sense to jump to the dark side, converting your contractor salary takehome, directly into a perm salary with all the benefits just before the rates crash, then you'd be sitting pretty.

Mmmm. My seats pretty.
    I am very happy for you.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Oh dear. You contractors are such a boorish lot.

Now, if you'd only had the sense to jump to the dark side, converting your contractor salary takehome, directly into a perm salary with all the benefits just before the rates crash, then you'd be sitting pretty.

Mmmm. My seats pretty.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Some of them on here simply can't cope without their eight weeks snorkelling in the Alps, or whatever
    *cough*

Leave a comment:

• donaldf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    Sheeesh! Do I have to spell it out!
    The arrogance of assuming you have moral right on your side is a Daily Mail reader trait.
    It doesn't matter how much you boast about your extreme experiences, you are no more justified or blessed than anyone else to the rightousness of a point of view.

Having said that, your story (if true) is a happy turn of events.
    So good luck to you - but its no more to do with IT contracting rates than the payscale for footballers.

Anyway, if you're so upset about the ways things are, then get a high paying rate and give the excess money away to deserving causes.

If you don't want to do that then shut up about pay scale morality - its just empty usless words which help noone and achieve nothing.
    you are such a typical Daily Mail reader it is hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• larry
    replied
    “The arrogance of assuming you have moral right on your side is a Daily Mail reader trait.”

There was no arrogance or assumption. Just an observation.

“It doesn't matter how much you boast about your extreme experiences, you are no more justified or blessed than anyone else to the rightousness of a point of view.”

There was no boastful tone to my writing. Just stating what I’ve been through. Certainly don’t consider myself blessed.

“Anyway, if you're so upset about the ways things are, then get a high paying rate and give the excess money away to deserving causes.”

There was no indication of upset.

Nice try, though…..

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    Originally posted by will_bankfield View Post
    Hi

Thanks all for the (some rather patronising) replies!

What are ‘real skills’ please?

I am 28, from Liverpool and have mostly worked in call centres because I dropped out of college at 19 to work in a crap low paid job to support my ex with our new baby.

For the past few years I have attended college to get the required qualifications to attend Uni.

I have a BA in Business Management and Information

10 GCSE’s
    NVQ level 2 & 3 Accountancy
    GNVQ Business and NVQ 3 in Business

I know they might not sound like much to you but with my background I am proud to have them.

My original post was to ask if it was worth it, that’s all!

Thanks for the x by 1000 answer, that helps.
    I think some of the earlier posts are right, in that we can't really advise you on what to do, as it'c completly up to you. Nobody ever told me what line of work to go into, or what skills I should learn, I had to figure that out for myself.

If I was in your position, I'd compare my CV and current skills to the current job websites. See what jobs I could do with my current CV, and what additional skills I'd need to be able to fill those, and the higher paid roles. Then focus on them!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    But how do you remove control from those with total control?
    In this country we could start with voting for someone other than the 2 main parties. Prefrably monster raving looney.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Originally posted by larry View Post
    There's a lot of this in the responses on the Daily Mail's site! A group of people who truly believe they're better than everyone else after reading an article about someone who seems to be lower down the 'food chain'. People with jobs berate the unemployed and people on more than the average salary berate those who are on regular wages.
    I believe that's a pretty succinct definition of the word facism?
    'Facism' is discrimination against people with faces. Probably.

What you are describing is one-upmanship, or smugness.

'Fascism' is more about a tightly state-controlled (meaning single-party controlled) economy and society, that puts the state before the individuals within it, is very nation-focussed and is attractive by its offer to fix the nation's ills by all pulling together against perceived problems.

Unfortunately, since it requires the bods in charge to have tight control over everything, it will fail because "absolute power leads to absolute corruption" because people are in charge and people are weak. Once the original problems have gone away, others must be found to explain why the status quo must be maintained. Before long it is necessary to find (i.e. invent) problems within the state that must be addressed. The easiest way to do this is pick some dissenting minorities (by religion, level of education, disability, country of birth, spectacle wearers, paedophiles, onanists, smokers, Catholics, whatever), get everyone else to hate this group and eliminate them. Everyone else is happy they are not the target, the leadership looks strong, the news is good and the status quo is maintained. Just don't be a dissenter or your entire group will be eliminated.

This is a shame since it would have been a useful model for how to run a country for a couple of years after a major crisis, before returning to a benign model. But how do you remove control from those with total control?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    So, to assess the current state of this thread...

...leads to...

...which leads to...

...which leads to...

...which leads to...

...et cetera, ad infinitum...

We seem to have managed, with absolute sincerity from all parties, to have made a long, strange journey from

...although it seems that the OP was correct in his expectations

Still, as this thread trundles towards the futility of arguing from different premises (which is the ultimate destination of every thread here except TPD), it's nice to see a few doomed attempts to offer useful advice to the OP

I believe Godwin's Law kicked in somewhere around post #35.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

...leads to...

...which leads to...

...which leads to...

...which leads to...

We seem to have managed, with absolute sincerity from all parties, to have made a long, strange journey from

Still, as this thread trundles towards the futility of arguing from different premises (which is the ultimate destination of every thread here except TPD), it's nice to see a few doomed attempts to offer useful advice to the OP

If the OP had looked before they leaped it should have been apparent that such a question is not going to be treated any other way on this forum.

That's if they are not trolling of course.

What concerns me more is that this sounds like another example of an agency-temp being pushed down the umbrella company route so that they don't get the employment rights that temps now "enjoy". Another example of the Government making things worse through their short-sightedness and indebtedness to the Union brothers.

There was another one (I think) a couple of weeks ago, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT

This is the one that I was thinking of:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ct-2003-a.html
    Last edited by Gonzo; 26 January 2009, 05:22. Reason: Found the other thread.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Little help please.
    ...leads to...

There's a lot of this in the responses on the Daily Mail's site! A group of people who truly believe they're better than everyone else after reading an article about someone who seems to be lower down the 'food chain'. People with jobs berate the unemployed and people on more than the average salary berate those who are on regular wages.
    ...which leads to...

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    I believe that's a pretty succinct definition of the word facism?
    ...which leads to...

Well Mr Hypocrite. What makes your moral tone any different?
    ...which leads to...

If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it!!!!!!

Little help please.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    1)Contracting doesn't have to be paying anywhere near £300/day, if the contractors aren't bringing special skills.
    Or they are the offshore people that you have subbing for you.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    I've been long-term unemployed, lost everything and even went overseas looking for work. Now back in the UK running a successful business while helping some mates down on their luck keeping it together with their families. I've been where others have been and even lower.

If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it!!!!!! Don't know what exactly in my text indicates hypocrisy but hey, what the heck...
    Sheeesh! Do I have to spell it out!
    The arrogance of assuming you have moral right on your side is a Daily Mail reader trait.
    It doesn't matter how much you boast about your extreme experiences, you are no more justified or blessed than anyone else to the rightousness of a point of view.

Having said that, your story (if true) is a happy turn of events.
    So good luck to you - but its no more to do with IT contracting rates than the payscale for footballers.

Anyway, if you're so upset about the ways things are, then get a high paying rate and give the excess money away to deserving causes.

If you don't want to do that then shut up about pay scale morality - its just empty usless words which help noone and achieve nothing.

Leave a comment:

• larry
    replied
    I've been long-term unemployed, lost everything and even went overseas looking for work. Now back in the UK running a successful business while helping some mates down on their luck keeping it together with their families. I've been where others have been and even lower.

If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it!!!!!! Don't know what exactly in my text indicates hypocrisy but hey, what the heck...

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X