• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor V Perm.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a sign of Lack of self confidence
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      You're not in the real world.
      Let's say you spend 3 months benched a year. So that leaves about 39 working weeks... let's say 38 to allow for bank holidays. So that's 190 billable days.
      190*300 = £57k income.

OK, so lets try and break that down.
      Very Roughly,
      Thats about £3K a month after tax (every month).
      If you were in a permie job, you'd probably get at least £2K a month after tax.

All you are doing is arguing that its still OK to race to the bottom rate. The money's still good etc

I'm just saying that that is what you are doing.
      There's nothing arrogant about it - its the truth

Comment

I'm not talking about what the rates should be for software development or PMs. I'm only saying 2 things:

1)Contracting doesn't have to be paying anywhere near £300/day, if the contractors aren't bringing special skills.
        2)£300/day is a lot compared to even a pretty decent job, even taking bench time into account.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm not talking about what the rates should be for software development or PMs. I'm only saying 2 things:

1)Contracting doesn't have to be paying anywhere near £300/day, if the contractors aren't bringing special skills.
          2)£300/day is a lot compared to even a pretty decent job, even taking bench time into account.
          Bear in mind that the appeal of contractors is primarily to accountants, in that contractors do not appear as liabilities for the client company's balance sheet in the way that employees do.

...and that is a huge benefit when money is tight.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
            There's a lot of this in the responses on the Daily Mail's site! A group of people who truly believe they're better than everyone else after reading an article about someone who seems to be lower down the 'food chain'. People with jobs berate the unemployed and people on more than the average salary berate those who are on regular wages.
            I believe that's a pretty succinct definition of the word facism?
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I believe that's a pretty succinct definition of the word facism?
              Fascism

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Reckon you're talking "rates" but you don't seem to know it?

Comment

There's a lot of this in the responses on the Daily Mail's site! A group of people who truly believe they're better than everyone else after reading an article about someone who seems to be lower down the 'food chain'. People with jobs berate the unemployed and people on more than the average salary berate those who are on regular wages.
                  Well Mr Hypocrite. What makes your moral tone any different?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
                    Well Mr Hypocrite. What makes your moral tone any different?
                    I've been long-term unemployed, lost everything and even went overseas looking for work. Now back in the UK running a successful business while helping some mates down on their luck keeping it together with their families. I've been where others have been and even lower.

If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it!!!!!! Don't know what exactly in my text indicates hypocrisy but hey, what the heck...

Comment

I've been long-term unemployed, lost everything and even went overseas looking for work. Now back in the UK running a successful business while helping some mates down on their luck keeping it together with their families. I've been where others have been and even lower.

If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it!!!!!! Don't know what exactly in my text indicates hypocrisy but hey, what the heck...
                      Sheeesh! Do I have to spell it out!
                      The arrogance of assuming you have moral right on your side is a Daily Mail reader trait.
                      It doesn't matter how much you boast about your extreme experiences, you are no more justified or blessed than anyone else to the rightousness of a point of view.

Having said that, your story (if true) is a happy turn of events.
                      So good luck to you - but its no more to do with IT contracting rates than the payscale for footballers.

Anyway, if you're so upset about the ways things are, then get a high paying rate and give the excess money away to deserving causes.

If you don't want to do that then shut up about pay scale morality - its just empty usless words which help noone and achieve nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X