• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The death of the coffee shops"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

It's grim down south
    in Hammersmith...

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    Yeah we rule at Rugby...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Buying barrels a few days before the end date is hardly a crime
    Legally no.

However, if NF, his friends, and other ale drinkers I know confirm that the ale tastes rancid, then the legal argument is a moot point.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I always wonder if people who happily drink things like "lager", "Draught Guinness" and "Creamflow/Draughtflow" bitter ever realise that they are directly equivalent to people who have been brought up to believe that UHT milk is what milk is supposed to be like.
    I am a snob.

Buying barrels a few days before the end date is hardly a crime... I'm sure many of us pick up bargains in Tesco (sorry, that should probably be Waitrose/M&S) in just the same way. WS get away with it because they have such a high volume... they can clear a whole barrel in a day whereas a smaller pub might take several days to get through it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I found out how they alegedly sell their beer at a competitive price.

They allegedly buy beer literally a day or two before it goes bad, and it has a very short shelf life, so they knock it out to the punters at a discount.

Apparently, this is not beer at its premium taste and quality.

Still, it pleaseth the untermensch who have neither the money nor the tastebuds to know (or care) any better.

The best thing about a WS is that it usually acts as a magnet for the people you don't want to meet down your proper local.
    untermenschen

It wouldn't surprise me if they pick up the ales that are on the brink of becoming undrinkable. The only time I've ever been in a Wetherspoons was when it was the nearby place after a web standards geek meet, one Friday evening in London.

I think they were somewhat taken aback by the number of people who complained about their rancid ales - I myself rejected two different pints, and in the end they were forced to take all but one of the ales offline.

I noticed that they brought them back on when the rather chavvy crowd (this was near the City) turned up later on at night for the "disco", or whatever it's called nowadays.

Of course, the lager and other top-dispense garbage was no worse than it always is, judging by the fact that nobody seemed to object to it.

I always wonder if people who happily drink things like "lager", "Draught Guinness" and "Creamflow/Draughtflow" bitter ever realise that they are directly equivalent to people who have been brought up to believe that UHT milk is what milk is supposed to be like.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Cobblers. Good selection of real ales at a competitive price
    I found out how they alegedly sell their beer at a competitive price.

They allegedly buy beer literally a day or two before it goes bad, and it has a very short shelf life, so they knock it out to the punters at a discount.

Apparently, this is not beer at its premium taste and quality.

Still, it pleaseth the untermensch who have neither the money nor the tastebuds to know (or care) any better.

The best thing about a WS is that it usually acts as a magnet for the people you don't want to meet down your proper local.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Wetherspoons aren't all holes. Friday/Saturday night they tend to be very full but that's about it.

The thing I like is they still have the policy of not playing music... so many pubs/bars play music at a level you can't talk, and I can't see any reason I'd go to a pub where I can't talk to the person I'm there with.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Apparently coffee and bears don't mix, read this in the Metro on way in today,

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...9&in_page_id=2

I want some of that

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Indeed I went in one last week. As we emerged after one drink, a chav smoking on the doorstep and chatting to someone on her phone said "said hang on I've got to move someone's coming out........oh........I mean some snobs are coming out" I hadn't clapped eyes on this woman up to that point, let alone spoken to her.

I was wearing jeans and a crappy old denim jacket so unless she was using the fact that I don't have a shaved head, black eye or any facial tattoos (or any actually), and I've had a wash and shave within living memory as a guide, I'm not sure where she came up with that, however, it does give me the right to call her a chav and reinforces my feeling that every time I've been to a Wetherspoons pub it's been full of people with "issues"
    Excellent. CUK Crimbo Do Mission 1:
    Walk into a Wetherspoons in small groups, buy el cheapo rounds and pay with a crisp fifty. Crowd round the trivia machine and beat it (if possible!) Then collect winnings and go to bar to have it changed to fivers for a kitty.

All the while, speak in the most hooray Henry voice/manner possible.

Bonus points if you make it out of there alive.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by vhadiant View Post
    Very few barista in London have training. I found there's only 1 place in London where you can get "proper" coffee. "Flat White" in Soho, runs by Kiwis. Darn just thinking about it make me miss proper coffee.
    Yeah we rule at Rugby *and* coffee. Did you know... that in OZ and NZ we have a coffee (which is actually THE most popular one) called a Flat White? of course not being a coffee drinker I can't tell the difference between a Flat White and a Latte, in fact I don't think anyone can.

"Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea..."
    "Cold Tea"
    "Without Milk! Or Sugar!"
    "Or tea!"

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Confucius say: He who go to McDonalds for coffee wait longer than panda for shag"
    Post of the day for me!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    She probably heard you and your mates slagging off the chavs whilst you sipped your campari and soda.
    Doubt it - she would have stabbed him...

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    She probably heard you and your mates slagging off the chavs whilst you sipped your campari and soda.
    Pint. It was a bit quiet so we spent a bit of time playing the trivia machine - maybe she'd seen that I knew some of the answers. No-one said a word about the other clientèle whilst we were in there.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Indeed I went in one last week. As we emerged after one drink, a chav smoking on the doorstep and chatting to someone on her phone said "said hang on I've got to move someone's coming out........oh........I mean some snobs are coming out" I hadn't clapped eyes on this woman up to that point, let alone spoken to her.

I was wearing jeans and a crappy old denim jacket so unless she was using the fact that I don't have a shaved head, black eye or any facial tattoos (or any actually), and I've had a wash and shave within living memory as a guide, I'm not sure where she came up with that, however, it does give me the right to call her a chav and reinforces my feeling that every time I've been to a Wetherspoons pub it's been full of people with "issues"

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Do they still have the cockle and mussel woman doing the trawl of the pubs up North?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X