• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Goodbye UK

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Goodbye UK"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    You're a 65 year old grannie, who watches too much crime watch and believes everything she reads in the daily mail and I claim my £5.
    Except I don't read the Daily Mail. ( Said N.A.T. outside his £10M luxury Swiss villa overlooking Lake Geneva ).

Does no-one understand hyperbole nowadays?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    You're a 65 year old grannie, who watches too much crime watch and believes everything she reads in the daily mail and I claim my £5.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I like being able to walk home through town at midnight and not getting mugged or knifed.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I was in Zermatt a couple of years ago, bought a round of three vodka redbulls. Cost me over £50.
    It would cost you a lot more now, with the pound having fallen. If your idea of a good time is pubs and night clubbing (or whatever you young people get up to nowadays), then Switzerland is very very dull.

I like dull.

I like being able to walk home through town at midnight and not getting mugged or knifed.

If you're raising a family, there's far worse places to be than CH.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    By the banks not inside them? Had they run out of desks.
    Can I help you with your coat?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Have to say I loved working by the banks of Lake Geneva.
    By the banks not inside them? Had they run out of desks.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I don't care what the others say, I know where I'd rather be.

Fair play to you Bob...
    WHS

I've been on holiday to Montreux/Vevey on a couple of occasions and given the choice between waking up to Lake Geneva every morning or a rather dull UK city I know which I'd prefer given the chance.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I don't care what the others say, I know where I'd rather be.

Fair play to you Bob...

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by bobsmithldn View Post
    just secured a contract working on a large programme for a Swiss inv bank unaffected by the crisis.

On loads more also because tax is 25% if married with 2 kids!

BOOMED!!!

Goodbye doomy gloomy UK. Never coming back.

Record employment in Swiss & people are happy & lifestyle is gr8.
    Where did you get this information from?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    That's a normal German practice You just say excuse me and they move it politely.

However in Germany I find things like that and placing towels on beaches is balanced by a distinct lack of aggression i.e. you can look at some one or talk to his girlfriend, or accidentally bump into someone in a pub without him punching you in the face.

The only place they are aggressive is on the Autobahn, where they play doom.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    One thing you would have to admit is the difference in the quality of services. Am sorry to say but state services in CH compared to the ones in Britain makes Britain look like almost a third world country. Especially if we talk about the NHS system. For me the worst thing is the social element. Despite respecting individual personalities and understanding that everyone can be different, still the average social qualities of people in the UK are way much better. One thing that strikes me here is that people on trains put bags on purpose on the other seat hoping that nobody else will sit next to you... (hope it's just my impression)

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Back in the 90s I had a one-year contract in Switzerland at one of the banks. It was the works - extremely high rate, free flat, business class flights back to London every weekend if I wanted them.
    It was the dullest year in my life. The Swiss are just the most boring people on the planet. No wonder they have a huge drug problem.
    You were in Basel, say no more.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    On the slopes every weekend? Can't beat it.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I was in Zermatt a couple of years ago, bought a round of three vodka redbulls. Cost me over £50.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Isn't this the same rate of tax we pay with our ltd company ?
    Depends if there's a higher rate threshold on personal tax and at what point it takes effect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X