• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Big Bang day !!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Big Bang day !!"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by basshead View Post
    Welcome to Local Government (and some central)
    And a fair few very rich pharma companies.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WTF?

Seriously, even Microserfs don't use that anymore...
    Welcome to Local Government (and some central)

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Good bit in the Times this morning. Handbags at dawn.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4727894.ece

He [Higgs] has, however, stayed in touch closely enough to pour scorn on the views of Professor Hawking and on scientists who predicted that the LHC might bring the end of the world.
    Good for Higgs. I suspect most think finding the Higgs particle is less likely than not finding it though, but it's still good science.

[Hawking] generally considered to be the greatest physicist of his time.
    Did someone do a poll, or is this a journalist making things up because he knows fook all?

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    The whole Nobel thing and Cern hinges on whether or not they find the Higgs boson. Hawkings thinks they won't and what they will find is something akin to supersymmetric partners to particles already known about. He believes this is the elusive 'dark matter' and if found would go onto to confirm his work on string theory.

I think you're a little bit too dismissive of a very intelligent man (disability or not).

Good bit in the Times this morning. Handbags at dawn.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4727894.ece

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WTF?

Seriously, even Microserfs don't use that anymore... the only reason to have a system still running IE6 is as a debugging platform for web developers, so we can accommodate the needs of those in the Third World using ancient boxes delivered by charities.

If you've more than tuppence in your pocket and don't expect your drinking water to be brought from the well once a day, you have no reason on Earth to be using IE6.

Seriously.

EDIT: and if this is a constraint imposed by your client's IT people, you should point out to them that they are incompetent fools who need to learn their jobs rather than playing some game all day.
    I'm not paid to advise them on their internal systems. IR35 and all that.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    They just upgraded our desktops. Still on IE6 though.

Doesn't bother me. I run firefox from U3.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's ok Zeity, we know you're still on the txt version of the internet. When do they upgrade you to Win95?
    As soon as they get rid of the teleprinter he uses to print our the pages he wants to read.

Leave a comment:

• Mort
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's ok Zeity, we know you're still on the txt version of the internet. When do they upgrade you to Win95?
    He wishes. He's reading all this in binary over a telegraph. Dee-deee-dee. Can't be using modern tech, might alert the

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Guess wot I'm using...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    ie6
    WTF?

Seriously, even Microserfs don't use that anymore... the only reason to have a system still running IE6 is as a debugging platform for web developers, so we can accommodate the needs of those in the Third World using ancient boxes delivered by charities.

If you've more than tuppence in your pocket and don't expect your drinking water to be brought from the well once a day, you have no reason on Earth to be using IE6.

Seriously.

EDIT: and if this is a constraint imposed by your client's IT people, you should point out to them that they are incompetent fools who need to learn their jobs rather than playing some game all day.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 11 September 2008, 01:23. Reason: it has to be said

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Strange, I read the book and I thought it was carp. I know everyone else goes on about how good it is though, and that it was a best seller. I don't remember much about its content now though. Unfortunately in my wanting to put Hawking more in his rightful place it sounds as if I am saying he is a dunce, which isn't true. He is more in-between a dunce and a genius IMO
    I read it and found it interesting and not especially hard work. But then, I studied physics at university. Modern books are easier, but they've had 20 years since Hawking's book...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Code:
      <!-- the first person to ask for an RSS feed gets a free black hole in their junk 

ok FINE here 
    -->

Leave a comment:

• Mort
    replied
    What browser you using? I can't view the source in ie6, Notepad doesn't open. I can view CUK's though so I know it's not my work settings.
    IE6 and Firefox 3.0.1, can see source with both

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    What browser you using? I can't view the source in ie6, Notepad doesn't open. I can view CUK's though so I know it's not my work settings.
    Works fine with firefox

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X