• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you an alcoholic?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    ...A deadly poison called, if I recall, amatoxin and found in certain mushrooms works the same way, by binding to RNA polymerase in the liver. But unlike therepautic antibiotics, it never lets go (and no known chemical will force it off), and the result is uncontrollable puking for days followed by hepatic coma and death ..
    Only if you injest more than 0.1mg per kg of body mass. With an onset of up to ten days, sounds like a case for Dr House.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    I think the antibiotics you should avoid alcohol while taking are those, such as the rifamycins, that inhibit RNA polymerase. Not all do, but this is one of several ways to prevent bacteria from reproducing, and thus help the body get rid of them.

But the liver also uses RNA polymerase (or an enzyme derived from it) to regenerate itself, which it needs to do more if clobbered by ethanol at the same time. In other words you put more of a strain on the liver by combining both at once.

A deadly poison called, if I recall, amatoxin and found in certain mushrooms works the same way, by binding to RNA polymerase in the liver. But unlike therepautic antibiotics, it never lets go (and no known chemical will force it off), and the result is uncontrollable puking for days followed by hepatic coma and death ..
    Are you sure you are a girl?

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    Urban myth as far as I am concerned. Found on the Internet:

Yes, they should be careful consuming alcohol while taking antibiotics. It has a harsh reaction with alcohol that will cause them to puke all night long if you drink large amount of alcohol. Although I have a friend who claims that is not true. He has been taking antibiotics and drinks fairly regularly.

I am with the friend, never made me puke, certainly not when drinking in moderation. Depends on the drug and the person I would think though, probably best not to chance it if you are not a risk taker.
    I think the antibiotics you should avoid alcohol while taking are those, such as the rifamycins, that inhibit RNA polymerase. Not all do, but this is one of several ways to prevent bacteria from reproducing, and thus help the body get rid of them.

But the liver also uses RNA polymerase (or an enzyme derived from it) to regenerate itself, which it needs to do more if clobbered by ethanol at the same time. In other words you put more of a strain on the liver by combining both at once.

A deadly poison called, if I recall, amatoxin and found in certain mushrooms works the same way, by binding to RNA polymerase in the liver. But unlike therepautic antibiotics, it never lets go (and no known chemical will force it off), and the result is uncontrollable puking for days followed by hepatic coma and death ..

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    Urban myth as far as I am concerned. Found on the Internet:

Yes, they should be careful consuming alcohol while taking antibiotics. It has a harsh reaction with alcohol that will cause them to puke all night long if you drink large amount of alcohol. Although I have a friend who claims that is not true. He has been taking antibiotics and drinks fairly regularly.

I am with the friend, never made me puke, certainly not when drinking in moderation. Depends on the drug and the person I would think though, probably best not to chance it if you are not a risk taker.
    Not all antibiotics are the same, you know. With some you can drink and experience no effects (though it will render them slightly less effective), with others you'll get the head rush thing, and then there are the ones that basically act the same way as Antabuse - drink even a small amount and you will puke, and feel like death to boot.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    As someone who has worked in phase 1 clinical trials
    Now THAT explains a lot!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Having a drink every day didn't do him any harm
    Did you forget a couple of these??

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas?
    Having a drink every day didn't do him any harm

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Never tried the train thing but I would have to agree

Strange how they stop when there are leaves on the line, but it's ok to run over people.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That was an aspirational film. Beats chucking yourself under a train.
    Never tried the train thing but I would have to agree

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

That was an aspirational film. Beats chucking yourself under a train.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied

Why are calling me a liar?

To wind you up pussycat.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I recall hearing about someone who tried to drink themselves to death. Apparently it took a long time and wasn't much fun for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I recall hearing about someone who tried to drink themselves to death. Apparently it took a long time and wasn't much fun for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I've been meaning to become an alcoholic for some time. It is difficult though.
    Like all things worth achieving it requires effort, dedication and perseverance.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I've been meaning to become an alcoholic for some time. It is difficult though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X