• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Divorce

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Divorce"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Good luck, Southroute...

Leave a comment:

• SouthRoute55
    replied
    Thanks all, found a solicitor which is based between my home and my contract location at the moment, he is also willing to meet me early in the morning i.e. just before 8 am so that I don't have to take time off work.

As for the kids, I know that my other half would want the kids to stay with me, its not a problem they are well into their teens and would be off to Uni in 2-3 years - I know she wont fight me for custody because the kids will also prefer to live with me.

Re the financing my thoughts are: should propose buying out my share of the house and the company (with the existing mortgage taken into consideration)

For example: house worth £500 K
    Mortgage worth £100 K

Will try my best to get a mortgage increase and offer £200 K then some of what I have int he company( or whatever the solicitor recommends) hopefully this would be a final payment - no more for extra alimony.

Hope am not being over-optimistic here.

Leave a comment:

• chasingtheaurora
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Disclaimer: If this advice is taken I want to make it very clear to all press that I wholeheartedly disagree with this advice and think DBA in no way reflects the views of myself, other contractors, humans, lizards or daleks (where are they? they've been very quiet recently, makes me a bit nervous) .. yes I have played Manhunter, yes i like tarrantino films and yes i thought Bowling for Colombine was an interesting doc..
    Columbine

/pedant

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    I think I'd be hard-pressed not to go a bit mental, invest in a shotgun, and use it to bloody, hate-filled effect on the bastards.
    Disclaimer: If this advice is taken I want to make it very clear to all press that I wholeheartedly disagree with this advice and think DBA in no way reflects the views of myself, other contractors, humans, lizards or daleks (where are they? they've been very quiet recently, makes me a bit nervous) .. yes I have played Manhunter, yes i like tarrantino films and yes i thought Bowling for Colombine was an interesting doc..

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    You're lucky. Mine said that I couldn't claim them because they would be covered in the £45 a day that I can claim for being away from home for more than 5 hours.
    Unlucky - mine has no limit on anything, as long as it's approved by another employee.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My dispensation covers everything - just claim it.
    You're lucky. Mine said that I couldn't claim them because they would be covered in the £45 a day that I can claim for being away from home for more than 5 hours.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Can you expense the gun and cartridges? Would an umbrella co's dispensation cover that?
    My dispensation covers everything - just claim it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I think I'd be hard-pressed not to go a bit mental, invest in a shotgun, and use it to bloody, hate-filled effect on the bastards.
    Can you expense the gun and cartridges? Would an umbrella co's dispensation cover that?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Have to feel sorry for any bloke edged out of his own house, which he is still paying for, because missus got bored and scored elsewhere. 3 months on, his kids are calling another chap dad, who has his feet up watching his plasma, drinking ale cooled by first blokes fridge !

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Plenty of sage advice here, or is there? Speaking as someone who has been through this in the last couple of years here is my tuppence worth:

You have to show your accounts
    All the company money is considered your personal asset and added to your 'wealth'
    50/50 will not happen, particularly with children
    District judges are, in the main, clueless and also lean in favour of the wife

I could be more detailed and, if you want more info, feel free to PM me

My advice, pay her off and move on. This advice is from someone who ran down the bank balance of my Ltd and still had to pay thousands.

Thankfully I'm a lot more relaxed about it now...

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Have to feel sorry for any bloke edged out of his own house, which he is still paying for, because missus got bored and scored elsewhere. 3 months on, his kids are calling another chap dad, who has his feet up watching his plasma, drinking ale cooled by first blokes fridge !
    that is THE most depressing and annoying thing i've read all day..

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Be thankful that you aren't crossing swords with Heather McC!
    Well, if I had £800 million, although I would want the beeatch to sweat for it, I would still expect to sustain a reasonable lifestyle if I had to bung her 50 mill.
    Alas, for large numbers of married men who get divorced we are talking a major kicking in standard of living, possibly bedsits, large debt etc. Yes, there is usually a good reason why the mum gets the kids + the house and it ain't no picnic for her either most times.
    Perversely, contractors/self-employed have got some ability to manipulate their financial 'picture' to try to resist getting totally turned over but at the end of the day, you want the kids to live somewhere nice and if that means you take a step down then think you have to do it.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Be thankful that you aren't crossing swords with Heather McC!

Leave a comment:

• castoff101
    replied
    You may find this web site helpful?

http://www.ondivorce.co.uk/chatdiscuss.htm

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It gives legal recognition to the partnership, which as well as obligations, gives rights and protection. Property rights, exemptions on inheritance tax, benefits regarding social security and pension. Parental rights over the other partners children, (responsibility to maintain and provide for those children, and partner), tenancy rights, life insurance recognition, next-of-kin rights at hospitals (if you are married you are a relative. If you're not married, you are not a relative) etc. etc.

If you are going to live with someone, it would be foolish in the extreme to not consider the legal implications of not being married.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X