• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Stock Market

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Stock Market"

Collapse

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    If ... it turns out that banks are chronically nervous about lending to each other -- this is the dark scenario -- imagine how they will feel about lending to you or me, or to companies with anything but impeccable credit ratings ... or to hedge funds.

Pay attention here.

This is either a false alarm or a pivotal moment in history

Better be Cool on Wall St - when you're Index is low
    Dow Jones ain't got time for the bums ...
    I bet you're a whiz at Monopoly.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    You'll wind up
    In Skid Row
    With Holes in
    Your Pockets
    You'll plead us -
    CUK - can you sapre a dime ?

But we ain't got the time ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 August 2007, 16:01.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Things are looking up. Lost less than 10 grand today.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    If ... it turns out that banks are chronically nervous about lending to each other -- this is the dark scenario -- imagine how they will feel about lending to you or me, or to companies with anything but impeccable credit ratings ... or to hedge funds.

Pay attention here.

This is either a false alarm or a pivotal moment in history

Better be Cool on Wall St - when you're Index is low
    Dow Jones ain't got time for the bums ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 August 2007, 14:04.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Imagine if house prices were like the FTSE 100.

My house is worth £350K, no hang on £270K, I mean £105K. Sorry, the price is now £380K, scratch that, £645K.....Stop Press! It's now worth 43K!

In a matter of days.

Thank heavens, they just go up, week in week out, forever.

Who wants to buy equities on the stock market? Not me!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Q : Is it possible that Basel I and II contributed to the current problems?

A : We only need go as far as the wikipedia entry…

Criticisms
    Experience with these systems in the United States and the United Kingdom, however, shows that the improved risk sensitivity means that banks are more willing to lend to higher risk borrowers, just with higher prices. Borrowers previously ‘locked out’ of the banking system have a chance to establish a good credit history.
    A more serious criticism is that the operation of Basel II will lead to a more pronounced business cycle. This criticism arises because the credit models used for pillar 1 compliance typically use a one year time horizon. This would mean that, during a downturn in the business cycle, banks would need to reduce lending as their models forecast increased losses, increasing the magnitude of the downturn. Regulators should be aware of this risk and can be expected to include it in their assessment of the bank models used.

The writing was on the wall all along.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I got sent an email where the lady techie was referring constantly to conical schemas. I think she meant canonical, bless. Or maybe comical schemas..

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    That was a damp squid, shares shot up about 1 or 2% and now drifting down again.
    That'll be squib. Squids are ok being damp. In fact, I hear they quite like it.

In a similar vein, I was in a meeting recently where a woman insisted on consistently using the word 'pacific' when she actually meant 'specific'. Rightly or wrongly, I found it most amusing.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Sell, Sell, SELL!!!! Or buy, not sure.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    That was a damp squid, shares shot up about 1 or 2% and now drifting down again.
    I wouldn't think so. Fed have cut the Discount Rate which is the rate that financial institutions can borrow from it. In effect they have reduced the credit spreads which were widening quickly and causing panic the past few days (i.e. harder/more expensive to borrow).

They have also agreed to take on loans from the institutions, which will mean that the credit market can continue to operate without getting investment banks & funds getting stuck with loans that they can't shift.
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 17 August 2007, 13:33.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    not a glitch, fed have just cut rates

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    futures were looking a bit ropey, but in the last few minutes they have just gone from -14 to + 34, hope its not a glitch

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    FTSE above 6k again

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    No it's not. The entire world has a personal vendetta against ME. Where is my Kalashnikov?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X