• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Stock Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stock Market

What a helter-skelter. 4 weeks ago I had massive profits after 12 months, reduced now to exactly what it would have been had I stuffed my money in the building society.

I'm alright Jack

It's not fair is it! Some tinpot building societies across the pond decide to lend $1,000,000 to Bubba Nojob, and our Imperial Tobacco shares have to suffer too.

If somebody can give me the address of the alien lizard who controls the stock market, I'd like to write him a stiff letter.

Comment

You probably should have liquidated 4 weeks ago.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        It's not fair is it! Some tinpot building societies across the pond decide to lend $1,000,000 to Bubba Nojob, and our Imperial Tobacco shares have to suffer too.

If somebody can give me the address of the alien lizard who controls the stock market, I'd like to write him a stiff letter.

All the recent new regulation relating to credit risk calculations ( Basel II) should have been a protective measure against this sort of thing - it seems Basel 2 and Sox compliance deadlines may have been a bit too late?

Anyway, the silver lining is: more regulations for the banks to comply with -- AKA new Business and IT transformation projects for us contractors !!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          You probably should have liquidated 4 weeks ago.

HTH
          Yes I did think about it 4 weeks ago, but 4 weeks ago if I'd kept them another 4 weeks I would have no tax to pay .
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Typical. Were going to put about 50k of best performers in cash last month and were in process of checking which when it dropped. Another week or two and we would have got out. Actually, it was probably me that caused the crash. Sorry.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose, it's just random.

Comment

No it's not. The entire world has a personal vendetta against ME. Where is my Kalashnikov?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

FTSE above 6k again

Comment

futures were looking a bit ropey, but in the last few minutes they have just gone from -14 to + 34, hope its not a glitch

Comment

Working...
                    X