• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: So Desperate!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So Desperate!"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Now The Sun (and Murdoch) have come out for Labour at the last minute.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yeah you mean the BMA one of the doctors trade unions.

Not every doctor agrees with them and/or belongs to their union.

You haven't mentioned in your rant that every GP practice, lots of dental practices, lots of opticians and some labs are part or is an independent company that provides NHS services. (Yes there are really lots of people who don't know that.)

Also you forgot the Lansley’s reforms or the Health and Social Care Act 2012 - that happened under the Tories.
    No, I hadn't forgotten any of those. Nor that Hunt tried to back out Lansley's damaging reforms, an exercise that is still ongoing, but which is why there are "lots of NHS's" still, with yet another Quango sitting on top of them trying to get to a degree of cohesion.

But my rant - which is nothing of the sort - merely tried to summarise the problems facing anyone, regardless of party, who fancies trying to untangle the mess and deliver a Health Service somewhat closer to Bevan's original concepts.

(And FTAOD, I am closer to all this than you might imagine, having been married to someone who progressed from MLA to head of pathology services in a major hospital over the last 40 odd years and witnessed all the ongoing chaos at first hand).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    You think? tsk tsk....

I think I meant the BMA though.
    Yeah you mean the BMA one of the doctors trade unions.

Not every doctor agrees with them and/or belongs to their union.

You haven't mentioned in your rant that every GP practice, lots of dental practices, lots of opticians and some labs are part or is an independent company that provides NHS services. (Yes there are really lots of people who don't know that.)

Also you forgot the Lansley’s reforms or the Health and Social Care Act 2012 - that happened under the Tories.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

The GMC (General Medical Council) isn't a union it is the registry body of doctors.

You think? tsk tsk....

I think I meant the BMA though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Actually...

1) gross government mismanagement and general apathy (all use private care)

Saddling the NHS with a host of expensive, eternal PFI build-and-maintain programmes meaning something pathetic like changing a light bulb in a laboratory costs a couple of hundred quit.

Imposing a long list of performance targets (e.g. waiting times in A&E) meaning having to hire an army of administrators to record, measure and report them without actually having any impact on performance

Re-Writing the GP contracts to cut down their hours. That leads to no initial triage happening, inordinate waiting times for appointment and people treating A&E as the primary care source. Meaning longer queues and waiting times.

Politically motivated industrial action by the GMC losing millions of appointment dates and operations, meaning longer waiting lists (see performance measures above).

A failure to train doctors and requiring even basic medical staff to have a degree in a short list of subjects - even MLAs need a degree these days.

A failure to centralise procurement for a huge number of common items and leveraging the buying power of the NHS but moving that down to the individual Trusts to manage

Imposing a diversity and equality agenda on recruitment, meaning even hiring an MLA (look them up) takes upwards of three months and hiring managers have to interview candidates who are through no fault of their own hopelessly unsuited to the role (want to trust your blood microscopy to someone who is partially sighted?)

2) the mess?? - the Tories, - who else?

Er no. All the above firmly at the door of the Blair/Brown administrations...

That's the short answer. Over 60% of NHS expenditure is not going to patient care. And there isn't an NHS, there are instead several hundred separate NHS's all competing for the same resources.

Not a pretty picture is it. Fixing it will be a nightmare, if not an impossibility.
    The GMC (General Medical Council) isn't a union it is the registry body of doctors.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Now who's being desperate? Neither the Starmers nor the Tories said anything about his wife being Jewish, that was raised by Labour themselves. So a completely bogus accusation, typical of the level of political discourse we've come to expect this time around.
    I'm surprised you didn't know Starmer's wife was Jewish due to the situation around Corbyn as that's why it was known.

Also - though maybe because who I am related to and where I live - if someone says they have to do something on Fridays particularly evenings with their family I automatically assume it is due to religion.

And Rishi has a point, the role of PM is a 24x7 one, you can't simply stop doing it. Obviously if there isn't a crisis to deal with at 6:00pm on a Friday then go and be with the family. Sadly, a lot of the time, that won't be the case. But where Starmer is wrong is saying that it is his decision; it isn't, it's an aspiration; a worthy one, of course, but still only an aspiration.
    It is his decision. If there is nothing going on then he's not available on Friday evenings for a couple of hours. I'm surprised you haven't met senior people in your working life who block time out regularly for things that are important to them but are still contactable if it is an emergency.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Actually...

Saddling the NHS with a host of expensive, eternal PFI build-and-maintain programmes meaning something pathetic like changing a light bulb in a laboratory costs a couple of hundred quit.

Imposing a long list of performance targets (e.g. waiting times in A&E) meaning having to hire an army of administrators to record, measure and report them without actually having any impact on performance

Re-Writing the GP contracts to cut down their hours. That leads to no initial triage happening, inordinate waiting times for appointment and people treating A&E as the primary care source. Meaning longer queues and waiting times.

Politically motivated industrial action by the GMC losing millions of appointment dates and operations, meaning longer waiting lists (see performance measures above).

A failure to train doctors and requiring even basic medical staff to have a degree in a short list of subjects - even MLAs need a degree these days.

A failure to centralise procurement for a huge number of common items and leveraging the buying power of the NHS but moving that down to the individual Trusts to manage

Imposing a diversity and equality agenda on recruitment, meaning even hiring an MLA (look them up) takes upwards of three months and hiring managers have to interview candidates who are through no fault of their own hopelessly unsuited to the role (want to trust your blood microscopy to someone who is partially sighted?)

Er no. All the above firmly at the door of the Blair/Brown administrations...

That's the short answer. Over 60% of NHS expenditure is not going to patient care. And there isn't an NHS, there are instead several hundred separate NHS's all competing for the same resources.

Not a pretty picture is it. Fixing it will be a nightmare, if not an impossibility.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

1) You do know why the NHS is in such a mess.
    2) And who created it? Just askin'....
    there ye go mr Blue

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

This version may clarify why the Tories playing with fire -
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/starmer-r...vening-family/

If the next Tory leader throws antisemitism claims at Keir Starmer he will remind them of this.
    Now who's being desperate? Neither the Starmers nor the Tories said anything about his wife being Jewish, that was raised by Labour themselves. So a completely bogus accusation, typical of the level of political discourse we've come to expect this time around.

And Rishi has a point, the role of PM is a 24x7 one, you can't simply stop doing it. Obviously if there isn't a crisis to deal with at 6:00pm on a Friday then go and be with the family. Sadly, a lot of the time, that won't be the case. But where Starmer is wrong is saying that it is his decision; it isn't, it's an aspiration; a worthy one, of course, but still only an aspiration.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    But Rishi Sunak took a swipe at the Labour leader, telling reporters: “I haven’t finished at six ever.”
    I guess he's just a slow worker.

Oh, and regarding antisemitism, Mrs Starmer is Jewish, and Shabbat is an important family time for many Jews.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I've no idea how your first line applies to the rest of the text. It is also demonstrably wrong. But if it's in the Mail or on social media it has to be right. doesn't it...?
    This version may clarify why the Tories playing with fire -
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/starmer-r...vening-family/

If the next Tory leader throws antisemitism claims at Keir Starmer he will remind them of this.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Just keeping an eye here, expecting something to come up any day now:
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...pes=&keywords=

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    Junior health minister Maria Caulfield also criticised Starmer, saying she works seven days a week and up to 20 hours a day.

Given how useless much of our healthcare system is perhaps she's not working hard enough and needs to do 28 hours a day, eight days a week?

Pathetic from the Tories really. Can't wait to see the back of the useless twunts come Friday.
    You do know why the NHS is in such a mess. And who created it? Just askin'....

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Junior health minister Maria Caulfield also criticised Starmer, saying she works seven days a week and up to 20 hours a day.

Given how useless much of our healthcare system is perhaps she's not working hard enough and needs to do 28 hours a day, eight days a week?

Pathetic from the Tories really. Can't wait to see the back of the useless twunts come Friday.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I've no idea how your first line applies to the rest of the text. It is also demonstrably wrong. But if it's in the Mail or on social media it has to be right. doesn't it...?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X