• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's not a garden gnome"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't recall details, was decades ago, but my sister once moved into a flat and her husband found an explosive WW2 device in the cellar. Took it to the police station.
    Nowadays that would be classed as an attempted terror attack

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't recall details, was decades ago, but my sister once moved into a flat and her husband found an explosive WW2 device in the cellar. Took it to the police station.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

We were there first....

Hwyl mawr
    Children of a lesser God, went the way of the druids - driven into the sea.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

God apparently wasn't fussy, all those believers were blessed with God's dubious taste. What about his real love - Yorkshiremen?
    He always was a fan of the underdog - We Lancastrians don't need His help.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

God apparently wasn't fussy, all those believers were blessed with God's dubious taste. What about his real love - Yorkshiremen?
    We were there first....

Hwyl mawr

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I'm Welsh, from Pembrokeshire: Waterston to be precise. And the phrase should be "There we are," since we have our own dialect....

But yes, too many Sais trot out the comedy Welsh phrases thinking to be humorous, and it gets a little wearing. You of course, as one of God's chosen, are perfectly entitled to use it !

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Gosh we are a sensitive little flower.

Here you go: the western coal field. The seams have a steep dip and keep away from Milford.

https://mapapps2.bgs.ac.uk/coalauthority/home.html

I'm Welsh. The tidy thing comes from Cardiff. Along with half a dark and a Mars bar.

Only used to annoy.
    I'm Welsh, from Pembrokeshire: Waterston to be precise. And the phrase should be "There we are," since we have our own dialect....

But yes, too many Sais trot out the comedy Welsh phrases thinking to be humorous, and it gets a little wearing. You of course, as one of God's chosen, are perfectly entitled to use it !

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Gosh we are a sensitive little flower.

Here you go: the western coal field. The seams have a steep dip and keep away from Milford.

https://mapapps2.bgs.ac.uk/coalauthority/home.html

I'm Welsh. The tidy thing comes from Cardiff. Along with half a dark and a Mars bar.

Only used to annoy.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    There's tidy then.
    I don't need the ignorant pseudo-Welsh sayings, thanks...

Llandarcy refinery was demolished: the tank farm location (no doubt with contributions from the Luftwaffe buried deep) is the location of "Swansea" University's new campus (which is actually in Neath).

The rest of the refinery site is now housing, not sure I'd want to buy one of those, but when you consider that after the Skewen flood some were surprised that there were coal mines under their houses, ignorance is bliss. Dunno what they thought had been going on around here for the last 3 centuries.
    Not much mining around Milford as far as I know. Happy to be corrected. However, there are several million gallons of LPG stored behind Waterstone at the old Gulf refinery site - more than enough to destroy Milford (and Neyland and Pembroke Dock and assorted villages) if it went up. But not Waterstone itself, apparently. We were told when it was being built that if it did go up the blast would go over Waterstone itself. Not sure I ever believed that idea...

As an aside, Llandarcy/BP was carefully buried in a dip so it didn't stick out and the Regent (now Valero?) one was built to look like a ship when it was lit up. The other three didn't bother with such aesthetic concerns... And as you say, God knows what the soil is like beneath them all; I doubt Pembrokeshire council was over-interested in details like that.

Baglan Bay petrochemical plant with its lovely vinyl chloride monomer production is long gone, the "new" gas fired power station lasted nearly 17 years from 2003 to 2017.
    Didn't realise they'd moved it from Port Talbot...

The gunpowder works up the valley was blown up some time ago (which is what you do with old gunpowder works apparently).
    Agreed. But irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    There's tidy then.

Llandarcy refinery was demolished: the tank farm location (no doubt with contributions from the Luftwaffe buried deep) is the location of "Swansea" University's new campus (which is actually in Neath).

The rest of the refinery site is now housing, not sure I'd want to buy one of those, but when you consider that after the Skewen flood some were surprised that there were coal mines under their houses, ignorance is bliss. Dunno what they thought had been going on around here for the last 3 centuries.

Baglan Bay petrochemical plant with its lovely vinyl chloride monomer production is long gone, the "new" gas fired power station lasted nearly 17 years from 2003 to 2017.

The gunpowder works up the valley was blown up some time ago (which is what you do with old gunpowder works apparently).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's a live shell.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pembrokesh...113000357.html

Just as well it wasn't a butterly bomb then. .

Saying which, I wonder if the shell in my great aunt's house was filled.
    Nearest thing I've got to a home town. An explosion would cause thousands of pounds worth of improvements...

There were until fairly recently:

* five oil refineries

* a harbour berthing oil tankers going up to over half a million ton deadweight

* a hundred or so mothballed warships a bit further up (the Warrior, now in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, was there for many years acting as a fuelling bunker)

* an MOD depot storing ammunition in what used to be the site for making and filling sea mines (my mother was small enough to be inside the casing packing them with Amatol )

And not all that far from Castlemartin firing range with its "DON'T PICK UP ANYTHING!!!!" warning signs. One thick kid brought a small armour-piercing round to school and threw it at a wall in the playground to see if it would go bang. It did; the hole is still there.

So a small leftover Victorian shell is really not that much of an issue. There may well be several more of the things lying around.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    started a topic It's not a garden gnome

It's not a garden gnome

It's a live shell.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pembrokesh...113000357.html

He said he'd been told one of the original occupants had found it on a nearby beach while delivering lemonade on a horse and cart, and taken it on a "very bumpy ride" back home to display in the garden.

"I spent so much time with the Morris family, we used to play and knock the missile with sticks," he said. "Other youngsters in the street apparently used to throw hoops over it!"
    Just as well it wasn't a butterly bomb then. .

Saying which, I wonder if the shell in my great aunt's house was filled.

The Pembroke one made it onto PM.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001t320

53 minutes in.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 December 2023, 19:42.

Working...
X