• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help to get elected scheme"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

There are whole Chinese developed and owned apartment buildings in central Manchester that have only "nominal" occupation. Obviously in waiting for the invasion...
    Our overlords in the PLA will have to live somewhere. .

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Probably. Sounds like the sort of thing they'd do.

The Chinese like to buy new builds and leave them empty, from what I've been lead to believe.
    There are whole Chinese developed and owned apartment buildings in central Manchester that have only "nominal" occupation. Obviously in waiting for the invasion...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Foreign owners= multiple council tax bills.
    I looked at buying a house with my sister-in-law. The stamp duty for non-residents was eye watering, so we didn't go through with it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Ahh found it -

The Guardian article is from 2014 - https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ions-hampstead

The Chinese like to buy new builds and leave them empty, from what I've been lead to believe.
    I still remember to talking to a Chinese colleague when I was in my 20s who was horrified that British people liked living in very old houses. She told us (me and some other colleagues who were from a variety of countries) that they knock down old properties and rebuild them as no-one likes living in a property someone else has lived in.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 2 May 2023, 15:29.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Didn't The Guardian release some drone pictures of decaying houses in prime London hotspots? As their owners let the houses rot rather than get someone - anyone - to live in them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Although not much of a deterrent if you're loaded. Even the potential four times premium for empty property doesn't seem to do much.
    Didn't The Guardian release some drone pictures of decaying houses in prime London hotspots? As their owners let the houses rot rather than get someone - anyone - to live in them.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I was under the impression that the Help to Buy scheme wasn't all that great? I was never eligible for it so don't know if it's true.

Further housing inflation isn't what's needed. Whilst it will be painful for many, a wholesale price reset is what's needed but the BoE and HMT seem hell bent on propping up the housing market at all costs.

However, I am concerned that should prices fall, it'll just be overseas buyers snapping up the property unless something is legislated to restrict overseas property ownership
    It's a load of crap and many will have lost money under the scheme. It's mainly the builders that benefit, as evidenced in their share prices since first introduction. In terms of prices overall, H2B is firmly at the margins. On the demand side, it's mainly about credit availability and affordability. Labour have a much better plan than the Tories in this regard (both in terms of supply and demand), relaxing planning and returning annual build targets and restricting purchases to UK buyers. BTL should be made even less appealing too and council tax increased on 2+ homes. BTL shouldn't be a viable retirement plan or alternative to stock market investing.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Yep as above 20% house price inflation, spending £1/4 million on a one bed flat. Luckily the government pays housing benefit!

#BuildMoreHouses

More houses = cheaper prices.

Although not much of a deterrent if you're loaded. Even the potential four times premium for empty property doesn't seem to do much.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I was under the impression that the Help to Buy scheme wasn't all that great? I was never eligible for it so don't know if it's true.

Further housing inflation isn't what's needed. Whilst it will be painful for many, a wholesale price reset is what's needed but the BoE and HMT seem hell bent on propping up the housing market at all costs.

However, I am concerned that should prices fall, it'll just be overseas buyers snapping up the property unless something is legislated to restrict overseas property ownership
    Yep as above 20% house price inflation, spending £1/4 million on a one bed flat. Luckily the government pays housing benefit!

#BuildMoreHouses

More houses = cheaper prices.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yep it artificially pushed up the prices for new build properties as you could only buy a new build on the scheme.

Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    oh excellent 20% inflation!

#Build more houses

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Dying last breath of the dying Tory party. Feck 'em (and I am not a traditional Labour voter ).

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    started a topic Help to get elected scheme

Help to get elected scheme

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ownership.html

Obvious desperation ...

Working...
X