• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help to get elected scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to get elected scheme

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ownership.html

Obvious desperation ...

Dying last breath of the dying Tory party. Feck 'em (and I am not a traditional Labour voter ).

Comment

oh excellent 20% inflation!

#Build more houses
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was under the impression that the Help to Buy scheme wasn't all that great? I was never eligible for it so don't know if it's true.

Further housing inflation isn't what's needed. Whilst it will be painful for many, a wholesale price reset is what's needed but the BoE and HMT seem hell bent on propping up the housing market at all costs.

However, I am concerned that should prices fall, it'll just be overseas buyers snapping up the property unless something is legislated to restrict overseas property ownership

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I was under the impression that the Help to Buy scheme wasn't all that great? I was never eligible for it so don't know if it's true.
          Yep it artificially pushed up the prices for new build properties as you could only buy a new build on the scheme.

Further housing inflation isn't what's needed. Whilst it will be painful for many, a wholesale price reset is what's needed but the BoE and HMT seem hell bent on propping up the housing market at all costs.

However, I am concerned that should prices fall, it'll just be overseas buyers snapping up the property unless something is legislated to restrict overseas property ownership
          Agreed.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yep as above 20% house price inflation, spending £1/4 million on a one bed flat. Luckily the government pays housing benefit!

#BuildMoreHouses

More houses = cheaper prices.

Foreign owners= multiple council tax bills.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Yep as above 20% house price inflation, spending £1/4 million on a one bed flat. Luckily the government pays housing benefit!

#BuildMoreHouses

More houses = cheaper prices.

Foreign owners= multiple council tax bills.
              Although not much of a deterrent if you're loaded. Even the potential four times premium for empty property doesn't seem to do much.

Comment

It's a load of crap and many will have lost money under the scheme. It's mainly the builders that benefit, as evidenced in their share prices since first introduction. In terms of prices overall, H2B is firmly at the margins. On the demand side, it's mainly about credit availability and affordability. Labour have a much better plan than the Tories in this regard (both in terms of supply and demand), relaxing planning and returning annual build targets and restricting purchases to UK buyers. BTL should be made even less appealing too and council tax increased on 2+ homes. BTL shouldn't be a viable retirement plan or alternative to stock market investing.

Comment

Although not much of a deterrent if you're loaded. Even the potential four times premium for empty property doesn't seem to do much.
                  Didn't The Guardian release some drone pictures of decaying houses in prime London hotspots? As their owners let the houses rot rather than get someone - anyone - to live in them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Didn't The Guardian release some drone pictures of decaying houses in prime London hotspots? As their owners let the houses rot rather than get someone - anyone - to live in them.
                    Probably. Sounds like the sort of thing they'd do.

The Chinese like to buy new builds and leave them empty, from what I've been lead to believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X