• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "let them eat steak!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Ridiculous, people in prison should not have the right to demand Kosher worktops and spoons. No wonder society is wrecked.

https://holyschnitzel.com/staying-ve...%20with%20this.
    thanks that looks interesting a few good recipes.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Vegans would also have to check their lettuce carefully. But what has your comment got to do with a discussion on kosher?
    The poster mentioned eggs when talking about vegans. I was trying to be polite and point out vegans don't eat eggs. ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• David71
    replied

Ridiculous, people in prison should not have the right to demand Kosher worktops and spoons. No wonder society is wrecked.

That made me laugh as every time I visit my Orthodox brother-in-law and family, they always end up having to re-kosher their spoons (no idea what that entails) as I invariably use the 'meat' spoons to stir milk into my coffee. They're used to it though and take my f'ups in good grace.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by David71 View Post

Hate to contradict you (and others) but unless food has a Kashrut stamp certifying it as Kosher then it isn't, vegan food doesn't qualify just because it doesn't contain any meat.

I questioned this many years ago when someone tried to explain why a bag of salt, or a head of lettuce still requires a Kashrut stamp to be eaten by an observant Jew and was told a lot of the 'kosherness' comes from the preparation e.g. salads have to be washed and prepared in a certain way to ensure no tiny bugs could be hidden in the leaves and inadvertently eaten, eggs have to be inspected using a clear glass to check for blood spots, no work can be done on Shabbat when cooking, packaging etc.

Fascinating subject, but can be annoying if you're in an Orthodox area and want a cheese burger!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Luckily Vegans don't eat eggs or bugs.
    Vegans would also have to check their lettuce carefully. But what has your comment got to do with a discussion on kosher?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by David71 View Post

Hate to contradict you (and others) but unless food has a Kashrut stamp certifying it as Kosher then it isn't, vegan food doesn't qualify just because it doesn't contain any meat.

I questioned this many years ago when someone tried to explain why a bag of salt, or a head of lettuce still requires a Kashrut stamp to be eaten by an observant Jew and was told a lot of the 'kosherness' comes from the preparation e.g. salads have to be washed and prepared in a certain way to ensure no tiny bugs could be hidden in the leaves and inadvertently eaten, eggs have to be inspected using a clear glass to check for blood spots, no work can be done on Shabbat when cooking, packaging etc.

Fascinating subject, but can be annoying if you're in an Orthodox area and want a cheese burger!
    Luckily Vegans don't eat eggs or bugs.

Leave a comment:

• David71
    replied

Since Vegan food is Kosher and Halal, no one can object to being fed a Vegan diet.

All prison meals should be Vegan, no other choice, simple as.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Since Vegan food is Kosher and Halal, no one can object to being fed a Vegan diet.

Might deter crime

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

I think currently in the UK a Jew could require to be fed kosher foods under religious rights protection, and likewise someone who was veggie/vegan for religious reasons - but not as a lifestyle choice?

Leave a comment:

• David71
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

both Judaism & Islam are fairly enlightened when eating under duress. Basically ask for forgiveness not die.

Not sure about militant veganism.
    In Judaism the mitzvah to save life (including your own) trumps pretty much every other commandment (excluding murder, idolatry, incest and adultery).

I'm not sure how true the story is, but it was said that in one camp during the Holocaust a table of pork was laid out on Yom Kippur and as the Jews all ate as much as they could the Nazi's laughed as they watched the Jews breaking both the Kosher laws as well as the commandment to fast on the day.

The Nazi's hadn't realised they had provided the Jews with an opportunity to fulfil a mitzvah (saving life) rather than commit a sin so the Jews were laughing (as much as you can in a concentration camp) at the Nazis.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

both Judaism & Islam are fairly enlightened when eating under duress. Basically ask for forgiveness not die.

I think currently in the UK a Jew could require to be fed kosher foods under religious rights protection, and likewise someone who was veggie/vegan for religious reasons - but not as a lifestyle choice?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

I recall vaguely a joke on those lines, when the exasperated non-Jew pulls a gun and tells him to eat the non-Kosher food or die.

"Finally! I'm starving!"

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Is dietary choice a protected characteristic or whatever the term is - are they obligated to provide vegan/veggie meals? Observing medical requirements is obviously different.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Is dietary choice a protected characteristic or whatever the term is - are they obligated to provide vegan/veggie meals? Observing medical requirements is obviously different.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

To be fair I expected them to only supply allergy free vegan foods to prisoners. It ticks all the boxes no dairy, halal by design etc.
    Agreed, the only option for prisoners should be vegan food served with tap water. It is cheap, 100% Halal, and saves the human race from the impending Climate Disaster.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X