• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Idiots out again

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Idiots out again"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

And the filth searched the photographers' homes too.

I wonder how they got the warrants that quickly.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/journalist...165154872.html
    Experienced magistrates are still in the majority white, middle class and middle aged men who haven't had issues with the police. The recruitment drive for magistrates that ended last year has led to a more diverse group of people being trained as magistrates.

So be careful driving around.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Seems Herts police don't like the press - https://twitter.com/richfelgate/stat...38847642243072

Arrested 7 other members so far.

Oh and all arrested are asked to give up their contacts.
    And the filth searched the photographers' homes too.

I wonder how they got the warrants that quickly.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/journalist...165154872.html
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 November 2022, 19:41.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And from our favourite Home Secretary

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Braverman says police should be firmer with protesters, saying their definition of 'serious disruption' might be too narrow

Suella Braverman gave a speech to the National Police Chiefs Council conference earlier. Here are the top lines.
    • Braverman said she wanted police officers to have more confidence to tackle dispruptive protesters robustly. She said:
    Although most police officers do an excellent job, sadly, in recent months and years we have seen an erosion of confidence in the police to take action against the radicals, the road-blockers, the vandals, the militants and the extremists.

But we have also seen the police appear to lose confidence in themselves - in yourselves, in your authority, in your power - an institutional reluctance. This must change.

Criminal damage, obstructing the highway, public nuisance - none of it should be humoured. It is not a human right to vandalise a work of art. It is not a civil liberty to stop ambulances getting to the sick and injured.

Such disruption is a threat to our way of life. It does not ‘further a cause’. It is not ‘freedom of expression’ and I want to reassure you that you have my - and this government’s - full backing in taking a firmer line to safeguard public order. Indeed, that is your duty.

Scenes of members of the public taking the law into their own hands are a sign of a loss of confidence and I urge you all to step up to your public duties in policing protests.
    • She said she was concerned that police were applying too narrow a definition of “serious disruption” when applying the law. Speaking to reporters after her speech, she said:
    I’ve got some concerns about the interpretation of serious disruption and when that threshold is hit, and also the cumulative impact.

So when we see a daily reset do you assess it cumulatively over a 10-day period or week or do you say, well I’m just measuring it in a 24 hour period?

I think police forces and chiefs would welcome clarity on the law and what their powers actually are.
    • She said she wanted officers to focus on “common sense policing”. She praised the chief constable of Greater Manchester police, Stephen Watson, saying he “rejects woke policing”. And she said:
    The way to ensure public confidence in the police is to focus on getting the basics right. What I call ‘common sense policing’. The kind of policing the law-abiding majority deserves and expects.

No politically correct distractions, just good old-fashioned policing - with a relentless focus on making our streets, homes and transport networks safer.
    • She said she had asked officials to revisit rules on “non-crime hate incidents”, because she wanted officers to focus on serious crimes, such as “threats to people and their property”.
    • She said she wanted to make crime recording requirements less burdensome. She said:
    I am concerned that crime recording requirements can be seen as too complex and burdensome. I am committed to working with the police to see how recording can be simplified without compromising on putting victims first.
    • She said she wanted the police and the NHS to provide better help to people experiencing acute mental health distress “so that people in need of medical help get the right care at the right time, while also reducing inappropriate demand on policing”.
    • She said she wanted to create a new, non-graduate entry into policing.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Herts police officers have been told to now check with a supervisor to ensure they aren't arresting members of the "legitimate" press.

The Chief Constable is still in hiding though.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Fascist Tory police state.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Of course I agree. But read the girl's report on what happened. It is incumbent on them to ensure the police know who they are before they start climbing up the gantry; the copper dealing with the idiots is probably not best placed to engage in discussions over right or wrong. The reporters should have at least spoken to the bronze commander, who would almost certainly have allowed them in. It's not like they were going to miss anything.
    If you look at the video SueEllen posted, those two members of the press who were handcuffed had not climbed a gantry and were standing on a public footbridge. There was no one to allow or disallow them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...legations.html

Like I said, these idiots don't deserve extra publicity, nor their identities released to the general public. The less PR they get the better afaic. I'm guessing, but perhaps the press people were asked to desist and got arrested when they refused: the police have few other courses of action after all.
    I've been listening to stuff all day (I also oddly I know members of the press and have talked to them about identifying themselves.)

The police didn't ask them to desist. The police thought they were protestors and the press immediately identified themselves as members of the press showing their ID.

The police are suppose to check their ID. If they can't do it at the time, they are suppose to do it immediately at the police station and not hold them in the cells for 7+ hours. Doing so is deliberate intimidation.

Herts police from their elected Police and Crime Commissioner to those who are full-time officers are unhappy that the press have sources that tell them where and when protests are likely to happen. Most of the time it is because members of the press just talk to people and happen to look like everyone else so don't get people's backs up.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The "press people" were handcuffed before they were even asked their identity.
    In one of the other press videos, the police challenged the journalist saying how could they have known it was happening unless they had been alerted by the group that was protesting.
    Well, maybe they knew it was happening because of all the police heading to the area, or the traffic jams, or the traffic reports that were coming in live about it.

As far as I know, even under Braverman's regime, the press should be free to observe and record events in public places, but maybe you don't agree.

Of course I agree. But read the girl's report on what happened. It is incumbent on them to ensure the police know who they are before they start climbing up the gantry; the copper dealing with the idiots is probably not best placed to engage in discussions over right or wrong. The reporters should have at least spoken to the bronze commander, who would almost certainly have allowed them in. It's not like they were going to miss anything.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Like I said, these idiots don't deserve extra publicity, nor their identities released to the general public. The less PR they get the better afaic. I'm guessing, but perhaps the press people were asked to desist and got arrested when they refused: the police have few other courses of action after all.
    The "press people" were handcuffed before they were even asked their identity.
    In one of the other press videos, the police challenged the journalist saying how could they have known it was happening unless they had been alerted by the group that was protesting.
    Well, maybe they knew it was happening because of all the police heading to the area, or the traffic jams, or the traffic reports that were coming in live about it.

As far as I know, even under Braverman's regime, the press should be free to observe and record events in public places, but maybe you don't agree.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Seems Herts police don't like the press - https://twitter.com/richfelgate/stat...38847642243072

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Now raised in the House of Lords by Baroness Chakrabarti.

The government are going to have a problem getting any policing bills through the House of Lords if the police keep arresting journalists.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The police arrested a journalist for covering the protest for LBC.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-sh...rter-arrested/

By the same police force who apparently last year were giving blankets and cups of tea to protesters.
    Yeah Nick Ferrari was covering it, not happy at all. I suspect anyone connected to the Police interviewed by LBC will have a rocky ride for a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The police arrested a journalist for covering the protest for LBC.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-sh...rter-arrested/

By the same police force who apparently last year were giving blankets and cups of tea to protesters.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Never mind, the lady in question's life is soon to be laid bare. No doubt she'll be interviewed on Talk Radio and this time next year she'll be starring on "I'm a celeb..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X