• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: WTF seriously

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WTF seriously"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Evidently kills your sense of humour.
    You expect to keep your sense of humour after the wife had linked you up to an electric shock toy?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

It’s not just for home use, although The WifeTM has used it on me before, as a demonstration to some friends as to how safe they are. The pads she used were out of date, so they were going in the bin anyway. It’s quite funny watching people’s faces when they think that you are putting yourself at serious risk, when in reality modern defibs are pretty much idiot proof. I suspect almost all the posters on here would be able to use one safely.

Firstly, defibrillation is to bring a heart from arrhythmia caused by ventricular fibrillation (VF) or ventricular tachycardia (VT) to a regular rhythm. In effect, it is rebooting the internal pacemaker in the heart when that pacemaker is not firing regularly. If the heart isn't pumping strongly, then CPR is more important than defib to keep the blood flowing to the brain.
    In hospitals they will perform cardioversion and defibrillation using different levels of power (normally in the 100-350J range). This is in a controlled environment. Out in the field you use an AED or a PAD.

Secondly, if you have actually used (or been trained) on a defib, you will know that it talks you through the whole process. It will tell you how to remove the pads, how to attach them to the chest etc. The leads are fixed in the pads, and then have a single plug on the opposite end which goes into the defib.
    And then comes the fun bit. The defib checks for a shockable rhythm. If the patient is not in VF or VT, then no shock is given.

AEDs and PADs are amazing devices. It's worth learning how to use one, and to do a first aid or ILS course.
    Evidently kills your sense of humour.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    https://www.resus.org.uk/public-resource/defibrillation

(Not written by The WifeTM but approved by her)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Firstly Bond's heart had stopped. Secondly how does slapping defib pads to your testicles restart your heart?
    Firstly, defibrillation is to bring a heart from arrhythmia caused by ventricular fibrillation (VF) or ventricular tachycardia (VT) to a regular rhythm. In effect, it is rebooting the internal pacemaker in the heart when that pacemaker is not firing regularly. If the heart isn't pumping strongly, then CPR is more important than defib to keep the blood flowing to the brain.
    In hospitals they will perform cardioversion and defibrillation using different levels of power (normally in the 100-350J range). This is in a controlled environment. Out in the field you use an AED or a PAD.

Secondly, if you have actually used (or been trained) on a defib, you will know that it talks you through the whole process. It will tell you how to remove the pads, how to attach them to the chest etc. The leads are fixed in the pads, and then have a single plug on the opposite end which goes into the defib.
    And then comes the fun bit. The defib checks for a shockable rhythm. If the patient is not in VF or VT, then no shock is given.

AEDs and PADs are amazing devices. It's worth learning how to use one, and to do a first aid or ILS course.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

It’s not just for home use, although The WifeTM has used it on me before, as a demonstration to some friends as to how safe they are. The pads she used were out of date, so they were going in the bin anyway. It’s quite funny watching people’s faces when they think that you are putting yourself at serious risk, when in reality modern defibs are pretty much idiot proof. I suspect almost all the posters on here would be able to use one safely.

Not a defib that is based on someone's imagination on how they work.
    Also, using a defib to counteract digitalis is probably not a good idea.
    Firstly Bond's heart had stopped. Secondly how does slapping defib pads to your testicles restart your heart?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

sure that was what she told you.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Doesn't everyone carry a defibrilator in the glove compatment of their Aston Martin?
    INKSPE etc.
    Not a defib that is based on someone's imagination on how they work.
    Also, using a defib to counteract digitalis is probably not a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Doesn't everyone carry a defibrilator in the glove compatment of their Aston Martin?
    INKSPE etc.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I never heard of people having them for home use

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I remember way back in that late 80s wearing a gadget that monitored us when we were working on our own in remote locations. If we stopped moving it would send a signal to alert others. There must be an updated version.
    My dad has had an alert pendant since his heart attacks a few years ago. It’s a SuresafeGo. It has a built in SIM card, can detect falls, and has a big button. If he falls, or presses the button, the first thing is he gets a call to the pendant. If he doesn’t answer that, then they call 5 numbers that he has registered and an ambulance.
    I suspect a watch would be even better with a heart rate monitor built in.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I never heard of people having them for home use but we have one in each of the villages we sit between, probably about 1min drive.
    My bigger fear (if I choose to think about it) is of falling down in the garden 20m from the house and nobody knowing, but that can happen to anyone. It's a valid justification for an Apple Watch... it will be interesting to see if constant personal health monitoring is actually the thing smart-watches end up being useful for. The number of lives that could be saved/helped by your watch knowing you are sick before you do must be significant, and this is basically Sci-Fi that could be mainstream pretty soon.
    I remember way back in that late 80s wearing a gadget that monitored us when we were working on our own in remote locations. If we stopped moving it would send a signal to alert others. There must be an updated version.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Yes, we have one at home. The WifeTM is also signed up to https://www.goodsamapp.org/cardiac
    When we lived in the Surrey Hills, we raised the funds to get one for the local village. Where we are now, the village hall already has one.
    I never heard of people having them for home use but we have one in each of the villages we sit between, probably about 1min drive.
    My bigger fear (if I choose to think about it) is of falling down in the garden 20m from the house and nobody knowing, but that can happen to anyone. It's a valid justification for an Apple Watch... it will be interesting to see if constant personal health monitoring is actually the thing smart-watches end up being useful for. The number of lives that could be saved/helped by your watch knowing you are sick before you do must be significant, and this is basically Sci-Fi that could be mainstream pretty soon.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Depending on the brand/model, the consumables are the pads and the batteries. You might need to replace the pads every couple of years. The batteries will last up to 5 years.
    Again, depending on lots of things, the pads will be about £50-75 a set, the batteries range from around £120 to £300.

Our current defib is a Cardiac Science one, we'll probably replace it with a HeartSine
    The though of a pair of used hairy pads...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

that's a great idea. One I looked at a while ago.
    But I couldn;t work out what maintenance requirements are and how long the battery will last.

No point having one, and then when it is needed 3,4 5 etc. years later and it's dead.
    Depending on the brand/model, the consumables are the pads and the batteries. You might need to replace the pads every couple of years. The batteries will last up to 5 years.
    Again, depending on lots of things, the pads will be about £50-75 a set, the batteries range from around £120 to £300.

Our current defib is a Cardiac Science one, we'll probably replace it with a HeartSine

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied

Yes, we have one at home. The WifeTM is also signed up to https://www.goodsamapp.org/cardiac
    When we lived in the Surrey Hills, we raised the funds to get one for the local village. Where we are now, the village hall already has one.
    Yeah I have seen them in some villages I have visited which is great. But in the big smoke it is not so easy I suppose - or not so organised.
    Its one of those if something happenned you would think why did I not buy one.........
    This looks really good https://www.goodsamapp.org/cardiac
    also this https://www.thecircuit.uk/

Looks like about £1,000 - £1,300 to buy.......... - they really are expensive

Leave a comment:

Working...
X