• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Inflation and grocery shopping"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do Lidl have a good enough Free From range? If we shop at Lidl we have to top-up that side of things from Tesco. Maybe your requirements are different or your local store has a wider range though.
    not terrible but as gluten free is mostly dried /processed why not order from Amazon or Orcado?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/gluten-free-range/c647

The Aldi curries are quite good

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/gluten-free

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do Lidl have a good enough Free From range? If we shop at Lidl we have to top-up that side of things from Tesco. Maybe your requirements are different or your local store has a wider range though.
    Different stores sell slightly different produce.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    a lot of the stuff wifey buys for me has to be of the "Gluten Free" variety
    My wife insists on shopping at Tesco, I hate the place, if I do the weekly shop I go to Lidle... I spend about 2/3rds what she spends and usually bring more home too. And it doesn't go straight in the dog.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Thought of the day

With the ridiculous price of butter..I don't suppose " Last tango in Paris" will ever get re-made.....what a bummer .

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    When my daughter and wife go shopping, obstensibly for two people each, my daughter always manages to spend £20-£30 more than my wife does on a weeks shopping even though a lot of the stuff wifey buys for me has to be of the "Gluten Free" variety and therefore at least 40% dearer.

When you look at why it's because my daughter only buys well known named brand stuff, we buy what we like the taste of.

A trip around Aldi will provide you with food, a trip around any of the big supermarkets will give you a choice of about 8 brands of the same basic food, that's what Supermarkets give you. Choice, not cheap. That's where they make the profit, they charge the supplier for premium shelf space for their product in the vain hope that if the product is at eye level rather than the bottom shelf they will sell more, there's been billions spent of "Shopper research" to see how the average shopper traverses the store, everything is where it is for a reason, they are messing with your brain in effect. Treating you like sheep. It's why the likes of Aldi and Lidl do so well, not so much choice but they don't pay the premium randing either. And frankly the food is just as nutricious, it just might have a little less salt or seasoning or sugar in it. I'd like to bet if they took the labels off not many people would be able to tell you what brand of beans they just ate.

My wife insists on shopping at Tesco, I hate the place, if I do the weekly shop I go to Lidle... I spend about 2/3rds what she spends and usually bring more home too. And it doesn't go straight in the dog.

What supermarkets have alsways done is screw the supplier until the pips cannot even squeak. And they have the market pretty much cornered now, they pay what they want, not what makes the farmer a half decent profit, they couldn't give a toss if a farmer goes under, there's always another one. And they will say they are doing it to make it cheaper for the GUP whilst adding their 20% premium...

It's how business works, buy cheap sell dear. Always has been.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    With all this doom and gloom I might actually need to find out how much stuff actually costs. I thought only poor people knew the price of supermarket products but it appears everyone is getting in on it now.
    Yes ask your care assistant next time she tucks you in!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    With all this doom and gloom I might actually need to find out how much stuff actually costs. I thought only poor people knew the price of supermarket products but it appears everyone is getting in on it now.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

I wasn't for a moment suggesting it was the farmers! Having grown up in the sticks I know how dairy farmers are screwed.
    I didn't think you were!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

My understanding of the milk racket is that the supermarkets squeeze the farmers such that producing milk barely covers costs, let alone makes a profit. I would be happy to pay more for milk and other dairy products if I knew that more of what I paid was going to the producers. That way, they can then invest more in ensuring the cattle are kept in the best conditions possible. Cutting the price they receive drives out good farming practices.

No source to evidence this; it's just what I think
    I wasn't for a moment suggesting it was the farmers! Having grown up in the sticks I know how dairy farmers are screwed.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

My understanding of the milk racket is that the supermarkets squeeze the farmers such that producing milk barely covers costs, let alone makes a profit. I would be happy to pay more for milk and other dairy products if I knew that more of what I paid was going to the producers. That way, they can then invest more in ensuring the cattle are kept in the best conditions possible. Cutting the price they receive drives out good farming practices.

Down here we have quite a few milk vending sheds...
    https://hollismead.co.uk/vending-machines/
    https://www.thevendingshed.co.uk

More of the profit going back into the farm, rather than city shareholders, better for the environment etc. They are all about £1.20-£1.50 a litre.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Try "Morrisons For Farmers" milk.
    I'm sure if Wilmslow were around he'd tell you all about it - he used to work for the outfit in Bradford I believe.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

I think there is some profit taking on a pint of milk.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The cost of the same basket of goods has gone up about £4 since January.

That's to do with the cost of bottling, packaging and transport.

There has been issues with getting the correct package for goods since Covid.

It doesn't cost much more to bottle 4 pints than 1 pint.

Cost of wheat and oil has increased.
    I think there is some profit taking on a pint of milk.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
    The news this morning reports inflation at 10.1%.
    The cost of the same basket of goods has gone up about £4 since January.

- a pint of milk is now £1 (was 45p last year), but 4 pints cost £1.38!
    That's to do with the cost of bottling, packaging and transport.

There has been issues with getting the correct package for goods since Covid.

It doesn't cost much more to bottle 4 pints than 1 pint.

- chocolate digestive biscuits now £1.75 (was £1 not long ago)
    - pack of three trifles up from £1.20 to £1.95
    Cost of wheat and oil has increased.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    “Nestle posted its strongest nine-month sales growth in 14 years this morning and raised its full-year guidance.

The world’s largest packaged food company saw organic sales, which strip out the impact of currency movements and acquisitions, rise by 8.5pc.

This was the highest rise across three quarters since 2008. The brand, which is known for products such as KitKats and Nescafe, achieved the growth by increasing prices to offset rising costs. ”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...n-uk-economy1/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X