• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you close often?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Yeah it does seem like a load of flights are being cancelled.

Traffic can easily pause to accommodate a two minute silence but to keep the skies quiet for however long needed has too big a knock-on impact. I suspect the cancellations are only feasible because the airport is running at lower capacity due to the passenger cap.

You could ask why they don't re-route aircraft but the position of the airport doesn't really support that. If operating on westerlies, then all arriving aircraft will have to pass over central london at some point and if operating on easterlies it's departing aircraft making the racket.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Are they actually cancelling. Radio 4 said they weren't flying 15 mins either side of the funeral so could do that with delays rather than cancellations couldn't they?
    They have to cancel them.

Too many flights leave and land at Heathrow for them to do anything else.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Heathrow Airport to cancel flights on Monday to be quiet during the funeral
    Are they actually cancelling. Radio 4 said they weren't flying 15 mins either side of the funeral so could do that with delays rather than cancellations couldn't they?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Heathrow Airport to cancel flights on Monday to be quiet during the funeral

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

It appears that too many kids are spoilt brats. Perhaps a week or two hiking and camping may work wonders.
    You really want to take kids (of whatever age) camping for 7 days?

Do you not like yourself?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	62879-b9172de7-6f22-410f-aa2b-5a0c3c5008e2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	4232999

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

It appears that too many kids are spoilt brats. Perhaps a week or two hiking and camping may work wonders.
    How would being cold and miserable for a week help? If you do such things yourself the evidence suggests it doesn't exactly help.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

That's for sure but I do admit I've done a couple of those weekend 70's/80's themed events at Butlins Pwllheli (Now Haven) and it was pretty grim to say the least.

Just on the prison camp thing, found this on Wikipedia

During World War II the Admiralty, who had already taken over his camp at Filey, asked Billy Butlin to construct two new camps; one in North Wales and the other in Scotland. Butlin found 150 acres of farm land on the Llŷn Peninsula in Wales.[1] The camp opened in 1940 as HMS ''Glendower'', an overflow training camp to HMS Royal Establishment.[2] The Admiralty contracted with Butlin's to extend the camp in 1942.[3] In 1946, after the war, Butlin took back ownership of the camp from the Admiralty and Butlins Pwllheli was opened to the public after some reconstruction work.
    So technically it was a military base before becoming a holiday destination so to describe it as a prison camp isn't far off.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I think this review answers your question

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...e_England.html

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I think it sounds awful but know a few people who have been with young kids and really rate it. I always forget if it's CP or Butlins that is compared to a prison camp though.
    I think this review answers your question

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...e_England.html

A really busy prisoner of war camp

Review of Butlin's Skegness Resort
    Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

To be fair, we paid for the cheapest accommodation but towards the end of the holiday I was a little sick of my wife asking what time we had to be back in our cell. We opted for the standard room. The buildings were set out in parallel blocks with a similar the layout to that found in prisoner of war camps in 1945 etc etc
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 September 2022, 10:25.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Does anyone go to Centre Parcs not expecting to get well and truly F'd over?

It's all part of the experience.
    I think it sounds awful but know a few people who have been with young kids and really rate it. I always forget if it's CP or Butlins that is compared to a prison camp though.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Does anyone go to Centre Parcs not expecting to get well and truly F'd over?

It's all part of the experience.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Garden centres were open. Now they are shut too!

May have to get my bike out, other people I know are going on the water.
    CP is trying to close their outside spaces...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'll be working. Here's hoping the internet isn't turned off as a sign of respect...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

They said they were advised to give the warning as soon as possible but clearly someone a bit daft on that.

Just seen McDonalds is going to shut Monday - it's actually notable how many places are (B&Q etc) who would normally be open on bank holidays these days. A reminder of what it was like a decade or two back I suppose, when everything bar pubs was shut on Sunday/Bank Holiday?
    Garden centres were open. Now they are shut too!

May have to get my bike out, other people I know are going on the water.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X