• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wasps (insects not Americans)"

Collapse

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

How do you keep them hydrated or rehydration them?
    You take them to a Waspital where they are put on a drip.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Finding "a bug" isn't a problem, it's when you find "half a bug"...
    Reminds me of the lady in the Siliconix canteen who had half a slug in her BLT roll after taking a bite thereof: especially concerning with what slugs can carry.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you grow your own fruit and veg, you are routinely eating bugs even if you inspect things and especially if you aren't. I don't know what percentage of blackberries/raspberries have tiny maggots inside but it's quite common. If you put them in a bowl of water the amount of critters floating to the top is surprising and if you pick and eat fresh from the plant those are not getting removed.
    All part of 'natural' growing - you just hope they're too small to notice
    Finding "a bug" isn't a problem, it's when you find "half a bug"...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you grow your own fruit and veg, you are routinely eating bugs even if you inspect things and especially if you aren't. I don't know what percentage of blackberries/raspberries have tiny maggots inside but it's quite common. If you put them in a bowl of water the amount of critters floating to the top is surprising and if you pick and eat fresh from the plant those are not getting removed.
    All part of 'natural' growing - you just hope they're too small to notice

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Extra protein!

Never managed to actually find the remnants in a fig.
    Most commercially grown figs are seedless varieties these days so you're very unlikely to eat a fig which had a wasp in it, unless it's home grown or from some small producer

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Yum.
    Although I suspect if any were alive in the figs we picked last week, they probably died when the chutney was made.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Extra protein!

They're absorbed apparently.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

If you like figs...
    ...then don't read this.
    Extra protein!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Saw a ruby tailed wasp a couple of weeks ago, attention attracted by the metallic green sheen of its body.

https://www.insectweek.co.uk/discove...Tailed%20Wasps.

Tiny & parasitic.
    If you like figs...
    ...then don't read this.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Dragonfly.

One of our cats is extremely adept at catching those as they fly* around the garden.

* the dragonflies, not the cat
    Last edited by Dark Black; 16 August 2022, 15:36.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    We get quite a few dragonflies round here, they are always nice to see.
    Saw this the other day...

Sorry about the image quality, I had the wrong lens on, so this was the best I could manage

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Fascinating, never seen one of those.
    Neither had I until a couple of weeks ago during the previous heatwave when I had the kitchen window open whilst doing the dishes & noticed this tiny green thing shining in the sunlight looking for holes in the shed wall.

Fortunately for the bees, it didn't find any there & eventually flew away.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Saw a ruby tailed wasp a couple of weeks ago, attention attracted by the metallic green sheen of its body.

Tiny & parasitic.
    Fascinating, never seen one of those.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Tiny & parasitic.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    We get quite a few dragonflies round here, they are always nice to see.
    We have a few of their larvae in the pond, and see the adults buzzing around - always great to see them and the damselflies

Leave a comment:

Working...
X