• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: McDoom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "McDoom"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Yes, they do do a surprisingly palatable coffee.
    and mainly without sugar syrup.

If I'm in town and want coffee McDonalds is normally a good source.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Their coffee is decent and the fries (fresh) too. I quite like the breakfast muffins but the scary thing is when you look at the calories - even a small burger is quite a lot. Unless you're doing a physical job you're on a dangerous road
    Yes, they do do a surprisingly palatable coffee.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    My habit is under control. Once a week!
    We go every week or fortnight normally to slob on a Friday... I typically get extra for breakfast/lunch on Saturday!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    My habit is under control. Once a week!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    MFDoom would be a more apt title?
    Wasn't it mudskipper who had a McD obsession? Or am I mixed up?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    MFDoom would be a more apt title?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

As an occasional convenience, yes. Not as your everyday dinner.
    Their coffee is decent and the fries (fresh) too. I quite like the breakfast muffins but the scary thing is when you look at the calories - even a small burger is quite a lot. Unless you're doing a physical job you're on a dangerous road

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

It maybe much derided, but I found it adequate and efficient for pit (piss) stop food.

Used to stop at Tibshelf on the M1 both ways going to home/work on last away contract. Get in and order on a screen, go for a piss, come back and food ready to go. 1 cheese burger, 1 small fries + 1 small drink < £3.00. Not gourmet, but adequate and cheap.
    As an occasional convenience, yes. Not as your everyday dinner.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Soon it'll be cheaper to eat real food
    It maybe much derided, but I found it adequate and efficient for pit (piss) stop food.

Used to stop at Tibshelf on the M1 both ways going to home/work on last away contract. Get in and order on a screen, go for a piss, come back and food ready to go. 1 cheese burger, 1 small fries + 1 small drink < £3.00. Not gourmet, but adequate and cheap.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

62% beef, but wouldnt like to know which part of the cow it is..
    A 100% beef patty would not make a good patty. It needs other ingredients too. That said, 62% feels very low.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Not so sure about that:

McDonald's Burger Survives 20 Years and Still Looks Fresh off the Grill
    https://interestingengineering.com/c...-off-the-grill
    You realise that this is talking about their products 20 years ago... before there were stricter regulations on what they could put in (and probably in the USA which still has looser regs than the UK).

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I would actually say McD has better quality (really!) than bargain basement supermarket burgers. They make a big effort to be able to be seen on the right side since they are such a big target.
    Not so sure about that:

McDonald's Burger Survives 20 Years and Still Looks Fresh off the Grill
    https://interestingengineering.com/c...-off-the-grill

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I wonder how much of it is actual beef...
    62% beef, but wouldnt like to know which part of the cow it is..

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    I had a quick google,

Asda do 10 beef burgers for £1.60:
    10 Cheese slices 50p:
    And burger buns are 13p.

So thats 34p + the energy to make a cheeseburger at home.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/s.../1000139371628
    Would you really want to eat a burger that's been sold for 16p, which presumably includes a profit margin? I wonder how much of it is actual beef...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If Asda can do them for 34p and make a profit, that means they cost McDs 20p or less for the ingredients.

It is labour and energy costs that have gone up.

Those overpaid human burger flippers (now paid £20k a year pro rata) need to replaced by robots asap.
    I would actually say McD has better quality (really!) than bargain basement supermarket burgers. They make a big effort to be able to be seen on the right side since they are such a big target. Living Wage, Fair Trade, using actual meat. e.g. their nuggets are actual pieces of chicken not nameless mush.
    Still, you're probably right on price since they have their own vast private supply chain. However considering this is the first increase in 14 years, I think we can assume ingredient prices have risen significantly in that time. I imagine they've been eating(!) the increases for some years to keep that 99p price point which must be a huge marketing win.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X