• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Blackmail

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Blackmail"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yeah that's right but it was more the point they target high profile events to get their point which fits in with the 'blackmail' theme. Maybe a good tactic but doesn't paint them in a good light with the public at all.
    Causing disruption is the whole point of a strike. If it doesn't disrupt it doesn't get attention and the point is to demonstrate just how essential they are. The most disruption is caused by striking during morning rush hour, not high profile weekend events. They're done that a few times recently.
    However depending on the cause and the PR, strikes often garner significant public support.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

Yeah that's right but it was more the point they target high profile events to get their point which fits in with the 'blackmail' theme. Maybe a good tactic but doesn't paint them in a good light with the public at all.
    Every weekday is a high profile event if you have to commute in London.

I'd rather a bunch of tourists gets ****ed over on a bank holiday than my longe commute made even more unbearable.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They didn't go on strike and most Londoners also chose to stay of the tube in 2012 as I remember.

it was very weird going to the events I had tickets for and not being squashed as the only people on the tube were also going to Olympic events where not all the tickets had been sold thanks to sponorship.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I seem to remember most of the Tube strikes (and there seems to have been a lot of them) were timed perfectly to cause most disruption, which is normally a big event. The threat of one during the 2012 Olympics springs to mind and there are others.
    They didn't go on strike and most Londoners also chose to stay of the tube in 2012 as I remember.

it was very weird going to the events I had tickets for and not being squashed as the only people on the tube were also going to Olympic events where not all the tickets had been sold thanks to sponorship.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I seem to remember most of the Tube strikes (and there seems to have been a lot of them) were timed perfectly to cause most disruption, which is normally a big event. The threat of one during the 2012 Olympics springs to mind and there are others.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

My FWB dictates what I do when I'm inside too .... she won't sign my timesheets off though as she says the smallest billable time period is 15 minutes. Maybe I should go on strike too ... that would teach her a lesson
    I think she could probably amuse herself for that 10 seconds...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I am inside so yes.
    My FWB dictates what I do when I'm inside too .... she won't sign my timesheets off though as she says the smallest billable time period is 15 minutes. Maybe I should go on strike too ... that would teach her a lesson

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So your client dictates when you can work?
    I am inside so yes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I fully support my brothers and sisters in any strike action as long as it doesn't inconvenience me personally...which it won't because I have no intention of celebrating the jubilee or indeed any event celebrating the royal family.

In fact I will be cursing the Queens name because she has stolen a billable day from me.
    So your client dictates when you can work?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    In fact I will be cursing the Queens name because she has stolen a billable day from me.
    it's treason then

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I fully support my brothers and sisters in any strike action as long as it doesn't inconvenience me personally...which it won't because I have no intention of celebrating the jubilee or indeed any event celebrating the royal family.

Last edited by TheDude; 19 May 2022, 09:54.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    started a topic Blackmail

Blackmail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61493322

Tube strike: Jubilee weekend walkout at two stations
    London Underground workers based at two Tube stations are to strike for one day over the Jubilee bank holiday weekend in a row over bullying.
    Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union at Euston and Green Park will walk out on Friday 3 June.
    General secretary Mick Lynch said those based at the two stations had "suffered years of sustained bullying and intimidation by a manager".

So potential disruption for thousands on a historic weekend because there is a 'bully' and TFL HR policies are not sorting it.
    How can two whole stations walk out based on one person????
    Its one of those where hundreds will go on strike cos the sun is shining in solidarity with something they read in the union newsletter.

Working...
X