• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Remote working

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Remote working"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Get back to the office, you know you want to:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...back-to-office
    Life imitates art?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

They need to be careful of falling foul of equality legislation so the lube must suit all genders.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

One company that has taken the idea of making work feel like home very literally: by creating private pods to let employees masturbate. At Stripchat, a Cyprus-based adult social network firm, workers can now spend up to half an hour a day on the company dime inside a “wank pod”: an enclosed black sphere equipped with a comfy chair, Oculus virtual reality headset, lotion, lube and tissues. A spokesperson for the company said it wanted to “provide current and attract new employees with a safe, comfortable space to rub one out”.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    With all videos on, the funniest thing is the weird eye motions and intense and sometimes slightly puzzled offset stares of some participants which make it obvious they are multi-tasking and beavering away in other windows on the quiet!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Coming to the end of a two year stint with client co, the camera on / off thing was a bit hit and miss throughout. Initially we were all keen on it and then realised after a time that it really wasn't necessary. The cameras come on when a group is meeting for the first time and that's about it. The teams I worked in still managed to build a rapport and have good cohesion without the cameras being on all the time.

Leave a comment:

• gixxer2021
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

We've never used video on any of our meetings over the last two years and no-one missed anything. According to the "theory" we should have had massive problems because over half the information was missing.

I think someone should carry out a scientific study to compare a group that uses video and a group that doesn't. One of the significant advantages of not being on video is when the meeting isn't relevant you can get on with your work rather than staring poker faced at the camera communicating your "interest".

I suspect that groups that don't switch on the video are far more productive.

100% this. If I didn’t multitask and work during irrelevant parts of meetings I’d be far less productive, and similarly never felt I’ve missed any information. Doesn’t affect team morale or rapport imho either as I’m still in touch and meet up with many of them even after leaving.

I can see this topic being as decisive as remote vs hybrid/office working, where usually the more introverted I know enjoy 100% remote/cameras off, etc whilst the extroverts I know prefer to be in the office/cameras on, etc. That’s just my experience mind, not a scientific study
    Last edited by gixxer2021; 10 April 2022, 00:06.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I always hold my dildo in my hand and turn the camera on.
    you can't call NAT that he will get upset!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    All these people worrying about what their background looks like for their meetings, what's up with using the blur function or adding a stock / random image? While on holiday in Grenada last year, I look several photos purposely for using as my background for Teams meetings. Many a time I was working from the sun lounger by the sea
    I always hold my dildo in my hand and turn the camera on.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Drove past sunny Swindon today stopped before hitting Boyo land.

My one day in the office a month. Third different site in the quarter. Holding out for Australia!
    Now I would quite like once a month or even slightly more. Gets you out and about.....

I visited client last week for a special event. They didn't push it but I told them I had no problem attending. 2 hours just over on the train - no problem for me once a month......

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    we have a 20 minute drop in catch up with the team daily I get loads of info from it. Its good to talk & more importantly listen.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

If you're in my team and it's my meeting then cameras are mandatory unless there is a reason that day that you can't put it on. No camera, I kick you out the meeting. If you can't participate in meetings then you can't do your role and you'll be released.

I won't have anyone, however good they think they are, being an @rse on my team ... just plain bad manners mate.

Originally posted by Unix View Post

If I started a contract and you were spouting this tulip I would walk on day one as would most bar the most desperate servile worker.
    Sounds like a good rule on this basis... forget the benefit of seeing people or not, it will weed out the arrogant jerks who like to think their total lack of soft skills are in some way a benefit. Anyone who wants to describe their co-workers as "servile" can do one.

If you can't have a polite 2 minute social conversation with someone, you don't want to work with them, in my view.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

If you're in my team and it's my meeting then cameras are mandatory unless there is a reason that day that you can't put it on. No camera, I kick you out the meeting. If you can't participate in meetings then you can't do your role and you'll be released.

I won't have anyone, however good they think they are, being an @rse on my team ... just plain bad manners mate.
    If I started a contract and you were spouting this tulip I would walk on day one as would most bar the most desperate servile worker.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Yesterday I was on a Teams call. We all had video running but any non-verbal communication was probably lost on us as we were too busy watching our colleagues baby playing next to her mum.

For backgrounds, I've done swimming pool, beach, frozen river and on the moon. But usually I just blur.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    All these people worrying about what their background looks like for their meetings, what's up with using the blur function or adding a stock / random image? While on holiday in Grenada last year, I look several photos purposely for using as my background for Teams meetings. Many a time I was working from the sun lounger by the sea

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Drove past sunny Swindon today stopped before hitting Boyo land.

My one day in the office a month. Third different site in the quarter. Holding out for Australia!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X