• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anybody wanting to help Syrian/Palestinian/Yemeni refugees?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Just do good. Again, what are you trying to achieve? To get people to wake up to the fact that there's injustice in world? And people aren't always fair in their treatment to all people?

I think we're all aware of that.

Oh, and I've warned you before about your Israel/Saudi conspiracy theorising. Thread locked.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Well, do more then before you rail on about how other people behave. You might also read the stories in various papers of the experiences of those British people who did take Afghans, Sirians etc. into their homes over the past few years.

You could even bring some into your home. You may choose the ethnicity/nationality. Or, if you don't want to be accused of double standards or hypocrisy, you could just pick at random.

The fact is that people feel a closer connection to those who are more like them. You may not like that fact, but better selective humanitarianism than no humanitarianism. The person on the receiving end of the help doesn't care - they just need help.

As for no one giving a damn, five years ago, I was working extensively with refugees from all nationalities coming into Switzerland. I was by no means alone in helping. Receiving them into the country, getting clothing to them, feeding them. Even took one into my home for six months. Then the massive flood of refugees/asylum seekers waned to a trickle. Now it's a massive flood again and the need is NOW.

So go help whoever you want to help, but don't whine about what other people are doing on some false narrative about how awful the West is. Some of us are doing a heck of lot.
    There are always people who will help others no matter what and God bless them for it. What we should not stand for is hyopcricy where injustice against "Europeans" is not ok and we turn a blind eye when it's not as close to home but the perpetrators our "own people". So if we sanction Russia then we should also sanction Israel and Saudi.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Whatever I have done isn't enough and I hate to sit here listing things I have done but I did go to Greece a few years ago to support the refugee effort. The stories are just as heart breaking and sad as those of those in Ukraine but nobody gave a damn.
    Well, do more then before you rail on about how other people behave. You might also read the stories in various papers of the experiences of those British people who did take Afghans, Sirians etc. into their homes over the past few years.

You could even bring some into your home. You may choose the ethnicity/nationality. Or, if you don't want to be accused of double standards or hypocrisy, you could just pick at random.

The fact is that people feel a closer connection to those who are more like them. You may not like that fact, but better selective humanitarianism than no humanitarianism. The person on the receiving end of the help doesn't care - they just need help.

As for no one giving a damn, five years ago, I was working extensively with refugees from all nationalities coming into Switzerland. I was by no means alone in helping. Receiving them into the country, getting clothing to them, feeding them. Even took one into my home for six months. Some of them I've established a long term friendship with - including a Syrian family. Then the massive flood of refugees/asylum seekers waned to a trickle. Now it's a massive flood again and the need is NOW.

So go help whoever you want to help, be a do-gooder, but don't whine about what other people are doing on some false narrative about how awful the West is. Some of us are doing a heck of lot.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Really? We couldn't have guessed.

By the way. What have you personally done to help Syrian/Palestinian/Yemeni refugees?
    Whatever I have done isn't enough and I hate to sit here listing things I have done but I did go to Greece a few years ago to support the refugee effort. The stories are just as heart breaking and sad as those of those in Ukraine but nobody gave a damn.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I posted this to highlight the continuous bias and double standards spewed by western media and eaten up by everybody..
    Really? We couldn't have guessed.

By the way. What have you personally done to help Syrian/Palestinian/Yemeni refugees?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    People are, and have been for some time. I don't think an extra 2 million of them suddenly left their countries en masse in the last month though, did they? Poland isn't on the verge of collapse from their sudden influx in one of the great humanitarian disasters of our time, is it.

Good grief.
    Do you even know how many Syrian refugees there are?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    The black Ukrainians aren't being allowed out
    The western media outlets keep ignoring the fact that Ukraine has a significant minority of Nazis and extreme right wing thugs. But again, because they don't have dark skin it's not relevant.... what's worse than the media is how nobody challenges these one sided narratives. I'm not for one minute saying I support the invasion but it isn't all that different to the west's actions in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, Lebanon etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Ukrainian refugees are overwhelmingly women and children the men have stayed to fight as opposed to refugees from the ME that are overwhelmingly young men. Furthermore, Ukraine are our neighbours fighting on the front line of a war in Europe. Moreover, remember who were dancing in the streets at 9/11. The three countries you mentioned are ALL under the influence of Iran and Russia and have voiced their support of Russia in the invasion of Ukraine.
    Daily Mail? The Sun? Fox News perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I posted this to highlight the continuous bias and double standards spewed by western media and eaten up by everybody.

Palestinians getting bombed and occupied = ok, Ukrainians getting bombed and occupied = not ok
    Selling bombs to Saudi to to massacre Yemenis = ok, Russia bombing cities in Ukraine = not ok

The irony of this all is that hypocrite moron Zelenski is a Zionist who supports subjugation and apartheid to Palestinians but when it happens to him it's not ok. The Ukrainians don't deserve this but I hope Zelenski gets to feel what he has promoted for so long.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Not entirely true. What has been happening is that they're constantly being sent to the back of the queue in favour of Ukrainian nationals. But they are getting through.
    I meant Ukrainian citizens... plenty of reports that the countries they are fleeing to are not being entirely open. Eastern Europe is well-known to have quite wide-spread racism which is to some extent tolerated (see all the football games where black players get monkey chants from E. European fans).
    Reports of countries such as Poland trying to refuse black people entry.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I would still suggest our best way of helping is to create refugee safe areas and support Poland rather than welcoming them here.

Our money will go further and repatriating them after the war will be easier.
    Except we won't send foreign aid to Poland to do that, because the Mail will tell us how rich they are, and they are in the EU.

As for not welcoming refugees here, how many of the refugees have a better grasp of English than they do of Polish, German or French?
    Many people from foreign countries learn English at school as a second/third language, watch American TV shows and films, etc. Going to a country that speaks a language they understand is a big reason to go there. It's not because they want to take over, it's not because they think BoJo is doing a great job, it's because they will be able to communicate with the locals, and as a result may be able to get work.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Not entirely true. What has been happening is that they're constantly being sent to the back of the queue in favour of Ukrainian nationals. But they are getting through.
    That happened to two white British friends of mine but they did not complain and they spent the time in the queue helping the women and children

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The black Ukrainians aren't being allowed out

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Such as the Syrian 25 years old child who bombed Parsons Green Station.
    Ahmed Hassan? Iraqi.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    People probably are less likely to want to take in Syrians etc. but it isn't a simplistic race issue. There would be genuine concerns about the major cultural differences, followers of ISIS or Hamas may be a terror threat.
    Such as the Syrian 25 years old child who bombed Parsons Green Station.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X