• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Petrol prices

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Petrol prices"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I only top up once a month at most so I'm very lucky that I don't need to drive regularly.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    First one to spot £2 a litre wins a prize!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Could it be based on when the station gets its own tanks filled? It seems unlikely they'd be pricing it per-station on "what we paid for it" but you never know.
    The most expensive petrol station walking distance from me is where the emergency services fill up their vehicles, few normal motorists use it.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Reading BP service station, tonight, is 183p for petrol and diesel.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Why is it still "cheap" where you are? Here (South-ish) Shell 170.9 Esso 170.9 Tesco 165.9 For 1l of Diesel. Petrol a couple of pence cheaper
    Could it be based on when the station gets its own tanks filled? It seems unlikely they'd be pricing it per-station on "what we paid for it" but you never know.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    I am in North Herts, in a town that only has Shell, BP or Esso. No supermarkets. Petrol is about 1.65 - 1.70. But drive 10minutes to Stevenage (Sainsburys) and its back down to 1.50ish.

I read somewhere that Shell price matches within a 3mile period and as there isnt a supermarket to compete they can do what they want.

I usually go Costco. Its the cheapest around, although you do need the costco membership to fill up there.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Payments for oil/gas a not locked yet, but I am expecting oil (but not gas) embargo within 2-3 weeks.

WFH might be needed for a few months to crash Russian economy and finish this tulip ASAP.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    I'm hedging in gold bullion.

Russia is locked out of Swift so is forced to trade oil in gold. It will probably hit $2000 /oz tomorrow.

So far I'm well in the money.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Crude oil just hit $130 a barrel.

Currently trading at $125.

At this rate we might see £2 a litre soon in the UK

As we send even more money to Putin to fund his invasion.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 6 March 2022, 23:42.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Rather glad I brought a more fuel efficient vehicle a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Meanwhile, while we was looking over towards Russia and talking about fuel prices rising...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ear-sadiq-khan

London’s ultra-low emission zone will be extended to the whole of Greater London by the end of next year under plans set out by the mayor, Sadiq Khan.

City Hall said “bold measures are required” to reduce toxic air pollution and cut congestion in the capital, as well as tackling the wider climate emergency.

Khan has ruled out a proposed £3.50 boundary charge for motorists to enter Greater London, as well as a daily clean air charge, to apply to all except zero-emission vehicles.

The two alternatives were under consideration to raise revenue for Transport for London (TfL), before the latest round of emergency funding from the government.

Instead, the mayor has instructed TfL to consult on expanding the ultra-low emission zone (Ulez) from the inner boroughs to the whole of London.

The Ulez, in which drivers of all but the newest diesel vehicles, and some older petrol vehicles, are liable to pay £15.50 daily for cars, and more for larger vehicles, was expanded to the north and south circular roads last October.
    Hoping to see a £15+ a day charge in all towns and cities soon!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Unfortunately sometimes you have to use your tank completely.
    Thats what Putin said.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I told you all to refuel a week ago (at least)
    Unfortunately sometimes you have to use your tank completely.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I told you all to refuel a week ago (at least)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Why is it still "cheap" where you are? Here (South-ish) Shell 170.9 Esso 170.9 Tesco 165.9 For 1l of Diesel. Petrol a couple of pence cheaper
    (Prices were for petrol. Add on 4p for diesel.)

​​​
    Who knows?

Previously I noticed if you go to the West of London, but not too near Heathrow, fuel is cheaper normally by 1-2p but can be more.

Then if you are outside London near a fuel refinery it is cheaper still by the same margins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X