• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nobody told him it was his birthday."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Oh I'm not blaming Labour - they're quite right that it's ridiculous. It just heightens the farce that when the police backtrack and decide to investigate, it stops the investigation which actually matters. Well, unless they apply the 10k fine to the organiser rather than a handful of £50 (or whatever they were) individual fines to those present.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So they can't release the report, which is where all the damning information is, for fear it will interfere in an investigation which could land Boris a £50 fixed penalty for eating a cheese & pickle sandwich.
    Labour, who wanted the police to be involved, are now blaming the government that the police are involved.

I wish HIGNFY was running.
    Labour wanted the police involved when the government and police said there was nothing wrong. The government then said they would have an independent inquiry.

So, to blame Labour for this is a bit of straw-clutching. If it had been a police matter from the start, and the police were considered impartial, then that would have been great. Now we have 2 inquiries, where one can't publish because it will detract from the other, and when the police find no wrongdoing, the Gray report will be sidelined as irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So they can't release the report, which is where all the damning information is, for fear it will interfere in an investigation which could land Boris a £50 fixed penalty for eating a cheese & pickle sandwich.
    Labour, who wanted the police to be involved, are now blaming the government that the police are involved.

I wish HIGNFY was running.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Unclear how BBC and Sky are not MSM.
    I'm not saying they aren't. I'm saying that some MSM sources were running the story, while others were still on "Look at Madonna" and "Isn't Joe Biden Old", almost like they didn't want to run with it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    They are both biased.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Since the Torygraph, Wail and Express aren't running the story yet, here's the nearest I could find in the Hull Daily Mail (Definitely not "main Stream")

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...tement-6563163

The Met have asked Sue Gray to remove all the bits from her report that might be about the things she was supposed to investigate.
    It's in Sky, BBC, Independent, LES, Mirror, S*n, but not yet in the 3 MSM named in the first sentence.
    I saw it in a main stream news source.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Since the Torygraph, Wail and Express aren't running the story yet, here's the nearest I could find in the Hull Daily Mail (Definitely not "main Stream")

The Met have asked Sue Gray to remove all the bits from her report that might be about the things she was supposed to investigate.
    It's in Sky, BBC, Independent, LES, Mirror, S*n, but not yet in the 3 MSM named in the first sentence.
    Let the whitewash begin...this never ends well, the public will see through this and Tories are finished unless they get rid of the trolley ASAP.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Particularly during Covid one might accuse them of being a government mouthpiece BUT one might well argue the press has an ethical responsibility to promote things like war-efforts, vaccination programs, etc so I think we can consider that a special case.
    Nearly all broadcasters were government mouthpieces during lockdown.

I suspect that some like the BBC have it in their charter/license that they have to be government mouthpieces during national emergencies. Even those that weren't had to comply by OFCOM standards - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-an...nd-coronavirus

In addition the streaming companies and telecoms companies were requested by governments and supra-national organisations to help.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    But the fact that the right and far right consider the BBC left wing, and the left and far left consider it right wing, that to me says it's doing a fairly balanced job. If the sources you rely on claim that it is heavily slanted away from you, then maybe check other sources.
    Agreed. It does a pretty good job on left/right bias although one could claim it has a pro-government bias. As much as by stories they don't report, or the way their language mirrors the governments.
    Particularly during Covid one might accuse them of being a government mouthpiece BUT one might well argue the press has an ethical responsibility to promote things like war-efforts, vaccination programs, etc so I think we can consider that a special case.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ahh PMQs time.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

Now go back and read my post again. There's a subtle clue that we're not talking about BJ.
    But that's against the rules - all posts have to be about Johnson. So, point stands

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Are you serious? Johnson is the epitome of someone who changes what he says to appease the audience he's addressing at that point in time.
    Now go back and read my post again. There's a subtle clue that we're not talking about BJ.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    There a is a sense in which I like the fact he refuses to change how he carries himself just to be more popular, and he's normally an arse to make a valid point - but hardly a vote-winner.
    Are you serious? Johnson is the epitome of someone who changes what he says to appease the audience he's addressing at that point in time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X