• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who's afraid of the [S]Xi[/S] [S]Nu[/S] Omicron variant?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    News just in. All flights to Malta in January cancelled. Entry has been closed to visitors all that month. Dooooooooom
    That's ok. HWMBO and I will just kip at yours.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    News just in. All flights to Malta in January cancelled. Entry has been closed to visitors all that month. Dooooooooom
    You are evil.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Not so I'm afraid, of viruses generally anyway.

If they have a fairly long incubation and infectious period, there's no advantage in mutating to be less deadly.

For example, nobody in recorded history has ever survived a rabies infection without medical help (an induced coma).
    Yes to a point, Rabies is niche, Covid is 'Global'.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    All pandemics mutate into less dangerous variants because it's not advantageous to kill your host ...
    Not so I'm afraid, of viruses generally anyway.

If they have a fairly long incubation and infectious period, there's no advantage in mutating to be less deadly.

For example, nobody in recorded history has ever survived a rabies infection without medical help (an induced coma).

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I read somewhere that in ancient times the emphasis was on the "micron" and "mega" rather than the "O"

If that is true, then Mary Beard fluffed it by publicly claiming the emphasis should be on the "O"
    I don't think MB is into "fluffing", but she can write some real diatribe. Her book on The Roman Triumph being a stellar example of taking up hundreds of pages and a readers time to say nothing at all except recounting ancient descriptions.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Its Greek obv. for little "o" i.e. micro O, Omega is as you've guessed by now is great "O" pronounced OO. See my beginners Greek wasn't wasted!
    I read somewhere that in ancient times the emphasis was on the "micron" and "mega" rather than the "O"

If that is true, then Mary Beard fluffed it by publicly claiming the emphasis should be on the "O"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Cantona!!
    Is that the next variant? Not good at Greek.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

ah..
    Cantona!!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

ooh
    ah..

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Its Greek obv. for little "o" i.e. micro O, Omega is as you've guessed by now is great "O" pronounced OO. See my beginners Greek wasn't wasted!
    ooh

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

What's Omricon?

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied

What's Omricon?

Did you know Omicron is an anagram of "moronic?"
    A smelling pistake

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

What's Omricon?

Did you know Omicron is an anagram of "moronic?"
    KUATB

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What started at a pandemic became an IQ test. Since Omicron is an anagram of Moronic, it's clear we've all failed that test.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

Maybe in a developed country. The UK simply let a couple of plane loads from SA land and disembark as normal over the weekend, whereas in the Netherlands they held the passengers and tested them all. There was a near 10% positivy rate.
    Sure, so then how did they get OUT of the UK with a positive test? We DO have checks to fly.

You'd think the UK et al would require the other country to test, or would insist on tests on arrival.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X