• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Robbed of Role Models"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Unless you're into Musto gear presumably (whatever that is - Does it involve leather or gimp masks? )
    Click image for larger version

Name:	80784_772_1.jpg?sw=1340&sh=1340&sm=fit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	4194519

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've done my share of sailing and you're absolutely right on one thing, there is absolutely nothing sexy about someone trying to get in or out of their Musto gear.
    Unless you're into Musto gear presumably (whatever that is - Does it involve leather or gimp masks? )

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Rather timely. Here is an article about the top influencers gathered together. This is the epitome of the new role models.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ames-know.html
    Phew!

I've heard of one of them due to his stupid boxing matches.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Rather timely. Here is an article about the top influencers gathered together. This is the epitome of the new role models.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ames-know.html

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    When I was on Hayling Life boat last century we had female crew who went out on the rescues. We didn't have separate changing rooms or showers, we used to worry about that after the shout, never the time to ogle a female body getting into a bunny suit when you are on a launch.
    I've done my share of sailing and you're absolutely right on one thing, there is absolutely nothing sexy about someone trying to get in or out of their Musto gear.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    Some tulipwit wanted the name "Coxwain" to be de gendered...
    Yes, c*ntswain just doesn't sound right!

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Quite.

Take SE's own example. She has asserted that mountain rescue is the sort of thing you'd predominantly expect to see staffed by men, and men of a somewhat specific type - which isn't controversial. But if we then even hinted it's role better suited to men, you'd be called a misogynistic dinosaur.
    When I was on Hayling Life boat last century we had female crew who went out on the rescues. We didn't have separate changing rooms or showers, we used to worry about that after the shout, never the time to ogle a female body getting into a bunny suit when you are on a launch.

Ok she wasn't as strong as a bloke but that's when technique comes in, now on the RNLI boat at Hayling we have a female Cox'n too on one of the watches. Some tulipwit wanted the name "Coxwain" to be de gendered...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Agreed there are plenty of male nurses from developing countries likewise most female engineers also come from developing countries.
    This is a slippery sentence. "most female engineers also come from developing countries" suggests there are a lot of them. Is that the case? Or is it still a minority? Or for that matter if the statement "most engineers come from developing countries" is true then it doesn't even have to imply a better proportion of female engineers at all.

Easy to mislead when data is not presented.

And how many male nurses is "plenty"?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Wow ... someone's taken a time slip back to the 1950s!)
    And there we go, the typical response to anyone who dares to defend the rewriting of history. If you don't buy in to the groupthink that has been entrenched only about 5 years, you are 70 years behind the times.

It's biological fact that men and women think differently as well as being built differently. Now it's also a fact this is to a large extent down to hormones rather than physiology - give someone the right hormones and both their brain and body will change quite dramatically. This is sometimes taken as evidence that there are no differences after all, but that seems a bad argument.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Agreed there are plenty of male nurses from developing countries likewise most female engineers also come from developing countries.

I can't think why when these countries societies are so unequal can you? They all must have different biology....
    Possibly the ability to emigrate may have driven study? Its difficult to draw conclusions when the field isn't level.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/life/...fw-nurses.html

If you are a young boy in the Philippines why wouldn't you study Nursing if you want to emigrate?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

This still confuses me. Which is the one you can now chose to identify as?
    Me as well hence using the terms wrong. So many articles about how they are not I have no idea what to say anymore. People saying they don't want to chose the gender/sex/whatever of their baby winning rights in court and stuff. I thought fine, don't gender it but it's got a pee pee so it's male. Doesn't seem to be the case..

But SE knows what I mean. Men/women.. sex, gender whatever. You know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I can't think why when these countries societies are so unequal can you? They all must have different biology....
    Because you see the focus on those roles. As a population there will still be a general consensuses of type. Those people will still be in the minority but boosted by affirmative action and news worthiness. Just the fact there is a focus on those roles where a gender is displaying the opposite of what is considered norm means it's being blown out of proportion somewhat. Take the population of male nurses compared to female it will still be very small. A few positive examples does not contradict the norm.

They did a study in the Nordic countries where the stopped affirmative action and let people actively chose what they want to do, with no blockers. Free choice and the what we consider cross gender roles actually reduced, not increased.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/sw...ng-to-science/

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean we should stop promoting roles to genders generally less well represented. It should be free choice but it just shows there is a natural shift in to some roles because of the different way men and women think, even at a subconscious level. It's definitely there so not something to be ignored in the pursuit of making all things equal, because they are not.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

Gender or sex?

They are different.
    This still confuses me. Which is the one you can now chose to identify as?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't think it's me that's taken a trip back. Men are not told that at all anymore, nor any other gender. There is more affirmative action to boost the gender dominate roles than ever.
    Gender or sex?

They are different.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Wow ... someone's taken a time slip back to the 1950s!

There is a shortage of male carers, they are in demand. But men are told that it's not a career for them (and the pay is sh*t). Just like women are still told that certain careers are not for them.

As for men like things, women like people ... where did that come from? I know at least one woman who likes my thing more than even I do
    I don't think it's me that's taken a trip back. Men are not told that at all anymore, nor any other gender. There is more affirmative action to boost the gender dominate roles than ever. Dunno where you've been hiding.

As for the men/women thing, it's been very heavily investigated and documented for many many years. We are different biologically for a start and there is clear evidence genders gravitate to different things in all areas of life. Granted it is generalised because it's not black and white but it's definitely there. Just because you don't have a clue doesn't mean it doesn't come from somewhere and there is factual evidence of it.

I know one person that used to be a man and is now a woman? Does that mean all men will become women? Does it buggery. Just because you know one person that doesn't strictly conform it doesn't mean everyone else does.

I'd stop drinking at lunch time if I were you.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 November 2021, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X