• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone getting their results today?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

aTw needs to have sex before he becomes someone's ancestor!
    And building all those servers as a Bitcoin mining rig isn't that interesting. He should be ashamed.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

History of the common man who is someone's ancestor or did a job similar to someone's ancestor always interests people.
    aTw needs to have sex before he becomes someone's ancestor!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What AtW had for lunch everyday used to be recorded
    History of the common man who is someone's ancestor or did a job similar to someone's ancestor always interests people.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Potentially what we (or others in future) will end up talking about will be the break up of the United Kingdom and the events leading up to it.
    It's whether that's talked about as an interesting part of history, or a bloody and violent part of history. That's where the Ireland bit specifically comes to mind, there's plenty of stuff waiting to reignite there and lots of cracks papered over.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

What events do you think will be talked about? B'liars unbalanced devolution, the failed Scottish independence referendum before the Brexit vote under Cameron then the desperate attempts to keep Scottish Independence at the top of the agenda so the SNP don't go round the U-bend? Or maybe the act of revenge that the EU are undertaking with the Irish border?

Not much about Boris in that.
    Didn't say there would be anything about Boris, I was talking about events not people. People will feature tangentially. Boris potentially as being the PM who presided over the breakup, but the actual events won't necesserily be of his making. Nothing happens in isolation, everything has an origin that, eventually, leads to the outcome. If you want to focus on Scottish Independence you could take that all the way back to the Jacobite Rebellions and the Highland Clearances if not earlier.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Or maybe the act of revenge that the EU are undertaking with the Irish border?

"Act of revenge"?

Is that how GBeebies describes the agreement Boris negotiated?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Potentially what we (or others in future) will end up talking about will be the break up of the United Kingdom and the events leading up to it.
    What events do you think will be talked about? B'liars unbalanced devolution, the failed Scottish independence referendum before the Brexit vote under Cameron then the desperate attempts to keep Scottish Independence at the top of the agenda so the SNP don't go round the U-bend? Or maybe the act of revenge that the EU are undertaking with the Irish border?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Actually I potentially take back that we won't be talking about the B-word, on the proviso that actually what we're talking about is Ireland. (And seriously admin I think we should ditch the sub-forum).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

He may not be as significant as Thatcher or even Scargill in some minds but he will be recorded.
    What AtW had for lunch everyday used to be recorded

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Ta, that makes much more sense. I suppose I view a dissertation as something 'for the ages' so I find it odd hearing one about a contemporary figure who we'll forget before he's even dead (IMO obviously but I don't think he'll even have the significance of Thatcher in the grand scheme of things).
    He may not be as significant as Thatcher or even Scargill in some minds but he will be recorded.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

May won't be talked about.

Brown will be mentioned only because he was chancellor under Blair and then went on to be PM. His actual own leadership won't be mentioned.

Cameron will be mentioned due to B****
    Actually I potentially take back that we won't be talking about the B-word, on the proviso that actually what we're talking about is Ireland. (And seriously admin I think we should ditch the sub-forum).

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

She is. Currently pondering doing her dissertation on the parallels between Boris Johnsons rise to power and that of Pericles et al in the ancient world. Seriously, if you know anything about it it's creepy stuff.
    Nice one, I finished mine two years ago. Think she may struggle with that one as there won't be that many scholarly articles comparing Boris and Pericles. The MA asks you to engage in scholarly discussion, you need other stuff to argue against and for and you need lots of it, to show depth to your argument. So you need stuff that would say B is not like P, which there is probably not a lot of. At best she could look for stuff that shows historic politicians using P as a model and probably half a chapter on B. It needs to be a question like 'To what degree has P been used as a model of democratic leadership?'. Quite a lot of people who struggled in my cohort had thin plans for their dissertation and had to change them causing much angst. Highly recommend joining a local uni library through the OU, then she'll have access to loads of lit. Good luck to her and say goodbye now for the next two years !

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

The government (there is enough blame to go around) fumbled the travel, care home & hospital lockdowns but aced immunisation and following the science. Other countries made similar mistakes.

Macaroon,
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...kdown-mistakes
    Merkel
    https://www.ft.com/content/bc5a3b02-...1-1bada29feba2

People already compare previous PMs with current ones, Bevin, Disraeli and Churchill are normally the yardsticks. I suspect in 100 years time PMs will be measured against Blair, Brown, Cameron, May & Boris at least in the press.

Comparison to historical figures and events has always happened in history via literature and reporting.

May won't be talked about.

Brown will be mentioned only because he was chancellor under Blair and then went on to be PM. His actual own leadership won't be mentioned.

Cameron will be mentioned due to B****

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    People already compare previous PMs with current ones, Bevin, Disraeli and Churchill are normally the yardsticks. I suspect in 100 years time PMs will be measured against Blair, Brown, Cameron, May & Boris at least in the press.
    We'll still be comparing to Churchill. Brown and May are already largely forgotten!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Boris will be talked about due to Covid and B*****
    Will he though? Covid is a global issue so it will be talked about as a world event and the national leaders at the time mostly bit-players who happened to be there. He won't be talked about as a major part of the story I reckon.
    As for the B word... well firstly he didn't preside over the vote he was just the one who inherited the job of doing it. And secondly, I know many feel strongly but it really isn't that big a deal on the world stage. It isn't changing the world. I studied the development of the EC -> EEC -> EU at school and the individual national leaders involved don't get a lot of coverage. I guess we're first to leave but people join and leave blocs all the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X