• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Home Security

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Security"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I remember seeing one of those daytime property programmes where they installed cameras in several houses in a street and invited an ex-burglar who provided this sort of service to case the houses.

What was amazing was a) how easy it was to break into some of the houses and b) how much a burglar can steal in just 3-4 minutes when people keep valuables in very obvious places.

The house owners who agreed to have their properties filmed then had a recording played back to them of the 'burglary' and some of them cried.

A month later and the houses had all upgraded their security precautions. The burglar this time said it was too risky to attempt to break into any of the houses.
    I've seen programmers like this before. Take away from it was you don't need the best security system ever, just got to be better than than next doors

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I saw a similar program and in it they asked the parents and the children, who were under 10, in the family to hide valuables.

The burglar found everything the parents had hidden but nothing the children had hidden.

Moral of the story is if you are going on holiday get your kids under 10 to hide your valuables.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    I remember seeing one of those daytime property programmes where they installed cameras in several houses in a street and invited an ex-burglar who provided this sort of service to case the houses.

What was amazing was a) how easy it was to break into some of the houses and b) how much a burglar can steal in just 3-4 minutes when people keep valuables in very obvious places.

The house owners who agreed to have their properties filmed then had a recording played back to them of the 'burglary' and some of them cried.

A month later and the houses had all upgraded their security precautions. The burglar this time said it was too risky to attempt to break into any of the houses.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Another tip is to avoid any security alarm with software worked on by that Zeity chap.

Though probably safe enough since the 700R never made it into production.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    This is my security system

The snag is the best security system in the world is useless if the perp has a key

Click image for larger version  Name:	depositphotos_6551013-stock-photo-steak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	4172437

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Only problem is she is soft as tulip and will happily show you were all the valuables are in the house (in her case the fridge where we keep the sausages)
    Can she put fires out?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Only problem is she is soft as tulip and will happily show you were all the valuables are in the house (in her case the fridge where we keep the sausages)

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just turn up to the interview in the interviewers car, wearing their suit and rolex. Jobs a good un.
    break into their house and wake them up on the interview day. That should show them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Their sofa is pretty cheap and tatty, tbh.
    And their merc has been in an accident

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Double your money by robbing next door neighbour also?
    Their sofa is pretty cheap and tatty, tbh.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Not really. By that logic people with only 1 conviction are still pretty good. But it might mean they got caught the first time.

One imagines they do some some of aptitude test like "if you can get into my house for the interview, you pass".
    Just turn up to the interview in the interviewers car, wearing their suit and rolex. Jobs a good un.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

indeed. But their expertise does not correlate with number of conviction. It's quite the opposite.
    Not really. By that logic people with only 1 conviction are still pretty good. But it might mean they got caught the first time.

One imagines they do some some of aptitude test like "if you can get into my house for the interview, you pass".

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Indeed. But most of them aren't.
    indeed. But their expertise does not correlate with number of conviction. It's quite the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    a good burglar doesn't get caught.
    Indeed. But most of them aren't.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    a good burglar doesn't get caught.

Leave a comment:

Working...