• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Official DOOM: Buckle up!"

Collapse

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Employers (and clients!) also need to stop with the 'it's only a cold' attitude and stop expecting people to turn up to work when they're full of the lurgy.

There's a whole swathe of jobs that have been proven work perfectly well from home so they should encourage people to work from home while ill if they really must have them working while poorly.

I'd much rather people be encouraged to take time off when full of ick as they'll recover better and faster but I can't see that happening in my lifetime.
    middle managers are probably scared tulipless at the prospect. the DOOM is for them.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Employers (and clients!) also need to stop with the 'it's only a cold' attitude and stop expecting people to turn up to work when they're full of the lurgy.

There's a whole swathe of jobs that have been proven work perfectly well from home so they should encourage people to work from home while ill if they really must have them working while poorly.

I'd much rather people be encouraged to take time off when full of ick as they'll recover better and faster but I can't see that happening in my lifetime.
    more importantly for the client/employer you don't spread the lurgy!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Flu was killing tens of thousands because for some reason it was socially acceptable to go to work whilst ill, no masks at peak times also, which should have been compulsory on public transport at peak flu periods: could have saved tens of thousands lifes, more than road safety stuff.
    If anything positive comes out of this pandemic then hopefully it will be this. Time to get rid of the idea that it is somehow macho to turn up at work spewing cold and flu virions in all directions and knocking out half of your department. I've always hated it - especially those ridiculous adverts for cold and flu remedies that encourage it.

As far as flu vs covid mortality, best guess is apparently that Covid is still 20x or so more lethal, even for younger people, so its still a very nasty virus. There is a vast amount of resistence to flu within the population, that can result in either mild/asymptomatic infection, or not catching the infection at all. Whenever we get a new flu that evades all prior immunity we call it a pandemic flu, and that is a whole other ballgame.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "A scientific adviser to the government’s Covid-19 response has expressed fears England could be in danger of repeating “the mistakes of last summer”.

Prof Stephen Reicher, from the University of St Andrews and a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) subcommittee on behavioural science, said the government may have to reimpose restrictions if the reopening leads to a surge in infections.

He told Times Radio: “My fear is that we’re on line to repeat the mistakes of last summer – if you remember, the prime minister told us it was our patriotic duty to go to the pub, that people should go to work or they might lose their jobs, we had ‘eat out to help out’.

“The consequence was we never got infections low enough to be able to deal with the disease and so when conditions changed in the autumn, when schools went back and people went back to work and universities went back and the weather got worse and we went inside, so infections spiked."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...of-last-summer

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Flu was killing tens of thousands because for some reason it was socially acceptable to go to work whilst ill, no masks at peak times also, which should have been compulsory on public transport at peak flu periods: could have saved tens of thousands lifes, more than road safety stuff.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post

But it's interesting to note that every Winter since around 1980 NHS has stressed how 'understaffed/under bedded' and then 1,000's then went on to die from Flu' or it's complications, completely unreported or even remarked upon.
    That's because it mostly old and/or immunocompromised people dying of something that since the flu pandemics is regarded as a run of the mill virus......

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Covid isn't flu.
    But it's interesting to note that every Winter since around 1980 NHS has stressed how 'understaffed/under bedded' and then 1,000's then went on to die from Flu' or it's complications, completely unreported or even remarked upon.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    - fooking twice already in space of 12 months and some idiots like you won't learn.
    What was the vaccination level across the country during those two periods you talk about. Negligible.
    Come October we are going to be 70%+ vaccinated

There maybe another wave, which is a risk to those who are unvaxxed, but they are mostly young people who are very unlikely to die from it.

A tiny minority of the old who cant get vaccinated for health reasons will have to self isolate if there is another wave. Cant expect everyone in the country to lock down again for a very tiny minority.

With out the vaccines we would have been DOOMED for another year, but now there is going to be a BOOM as the country re opens.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 29 June 2021, 23:24.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Hey I don't have an std from a squirrel
    You are pretty safe from brain slugs also

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Cretin, smart people don't look at what's CURRENTLY HAPPENING, they look at what is LIKELY TO HAPPEN SOON, it's not like we have not see this before - fooking twice already in space of 12 months and some idiots like you won't learn.
    Hey I don't have an std from a squirrel

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    currently they show on average COVID is less deadly than other threats.
    Cretin, smart people don't look at what's CURRENTLY HAPPENING, they look at what is LIKELY TO HAPPEN SOON, it's not like we have not see this before - fooking twice already in space of 12 months and some idiots like you won't learn.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Less deadly for whom, fully vaccinated and fook everybody else?

Less deadly for fully vaccinated whilst lots of social distancing/masks still in place, but that could change if everybody with a cough acts like before Covid without any masks and coughing into your fully vaccinated face with much higher doze, how can you be sure vaccine is going to be as effective?

And if Covid evades vaccines then suddenly it's back to much more deadly than flu, and what if it gets 10x deadlier? There is a big room to go there since MERS/SARSv1 had mortality of 40%.

sadly we have to play the cards we are dealt

currently they show on average COVID is less deadly than other threats.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No Covid isn't the flu, it is now less deadly.
    Less deadly for whom, fully vaccinated and fook everybody else?

Less deadly for fully vaccinated whilst lots of social distancing/masks still in place, but that could change if everybody with a cough acts like before Covid without any masks and coughing into your fully vaccinated face with much higher doze, how can you be sure vaccine is going to be as effective?

And if Covid evades vaccines then suddenly it's back to much more deadly than flu, and what if it gets 10x deadlier? There is a big room to go there since MERS/SARSv1 had mortality of 40%.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Well one thing 'Saj' said that I agree with - we have to learn to live with it.

Like ebola, flu, HIV, measles, polio, typhoid etc etc etc. We have identified it, we can monitor it, we can treat it. Now we have to get on with our lives.

People will die if we stay shut down and people will die if we open up. They may die of different things but this isn't cause of death top trumps, it's just the inevitable conclusion to which all life succumbs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X