• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dreams of Working From a Beach Risk Turning Into a Tax Nightmare"

Collapse

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Buy a farm in the UK and there is more nonsense.
    my parents have one albeit a modest one, inherited from grandparents and back home.

I am not particularly keen on that area, nature is beautiful, all 4 the seasons as they should be, but on the other part the people and the opportunities are not there...
    I was thinking of selling everything once my parents cannot take care of things and maybe get something around here or France. We'll see how things go.
    Already suggested it to them but they don't seem very fond of the idea. They can't do a lot of the things, only grow some corn, chickens. And grapes for wine.

They've struggled with finding people to do work from time to time as well, most of the people from around there are in the West (working or stealing) ironically.

Food will become very important I think over the next decade or two and eating organically produced food would be best.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You might like to watch Mr. Jeremy Clarkson's new show about taking up farming...
    actually did, it is quite a lot to manage but if you do not have all the expenses that he did, amortise the equipment in time and maybe focus on something else other then sheep ... he had 82k in subsidies and probably another hundred in crops. can't remember.

but at the end his conclusion was that it was a challenge but he wouldn't have done it any different. there is something to the countryside that is appealing.

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Or have a look at "Harry's Farm" on youtube.
    Watched actually quite a few of his video until I've seen the Brexit sticker on his old Land Rover. The silly old boy playing innocent and international just to show his true nature from time to time...

He also was ranting about how the european union does not allow pesticides or GM while at the same time claiming he cares about the local fauna. Hope he got the gov bailout now but from the cars in his garage he'll probably be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    You might like to watch Mr. Jeremy Clarkson's new show about taking up farming...
    Or have a look at "Harry's Farm" on youtube.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    farm is to escape the nonsense world the previous generation has created. How are you people contracting if can’t put things together from few posts?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

farm is to escape the nonsense world the previous generation has created. How are you people contracting if can’t put things together from few posts?
    Buy a farm in the UK and there is more nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

I thought that the millenial boomer narative was just a few memes in some dark corners of the web but apparently we have tutorials…

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Nah, it's about some snowflake whining non stop that no one with any fecking sense will pay him/her/it £700/day.

And that it will have to buy a farm for no reason I can understand.
    £700 inside is not that great to be frank. If the role covers about twice your expenses and you can’t differ the taxes, have travel expenses and have a few months on bench at the end, the average take home would be not great.

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Pork pie gracing british tables since 1390?

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-the-...ed-the-english

Calorific value was big with our ancestors as they burnt about 5000 calories working on the farm/factory.

Much of what we eat is celebration food not normal food.
    your celebration food, as opposed to what your ancestors were eating, might not contain any actual pork meat. No nutritional value and additives to add taste and texture etc.

if you have time google about ultra-processed foods and take it from there

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Are you talking about contracting on Arrakis?

Expensive place, but they got nice curries there
    The Avocado must flow!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

not quite sure why British people use the fact that they "eat only to keep going" as a badge of honour that implies 'they work hard'.

to me it sounds as if they do not respect themselves enough. what is the point of making a good living if you compromise on the most important part.

That pork pie is most certainly not what your ancestors were eating. The gooey substance in the pie only has a small percentage of meat. Additives for taste and preservatives that will do you no good. No vitamins, only caloric value.
    That is how you get vitamin deficiencies, mood swings and predisposition to a wide range of conditions. We are what we eat.

it is only for the previous 20-25 years that we've had ultra-processed foods brought in to our diets so in terms of effects I am not quite sure they are fully understood yet.
    and if anyone dares to put any studies out I think will get litigated to the ground although it is probably common knowledge in other cultures that food - as in good quality food - is essential...
    Pork pie gracing british tables since 1390?

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-the-...ed-the-english

Calorific value was big with our ancestors as they burnt about 5000 calories working on the farm/factory.

Much of what we eat is celebration food not normal food.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Nah, it's about some snowflake whining non stop that no one with any fecking sense will pay him/her/it £700/day.

And that it will have to buy a farm for no reason I can understand.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Was this thread ever about working from the beach? I like that idea except think sand would get in the laptop.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

contracting on what? Boomer jokes again?

CW is empty ask anyone. Mostly young folks hitting the pubs attracted by the 'big city look', Russians (quite a lot of them) Chinese Indians but not that many that would resemble the usual corporate folks. Daddy has a factory that makes buttons in China... is more like it.

A slight digression...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...98L0JD20130922
    Some wealthy Chinese say they want a bolt-hole overseas because they fear they will the targets of public or government anger if there were more social unrest in China. There is also a perception that their wealth will be better protected in countries with a stronger rule of law.
    fascinating world
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 21 June 2021, 20:33.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Any professional frustrated with watering rents would has already moved somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

London is its own tragic bubble in many ways. The rental market is already 'recovering' it would seem:
    https://www.benhams.com/news/propert...rket/jun-2021/
    that's a lot of rubbish from the industry to influence the gullible. Any professional frustrated with eye watering rents would have already moved somewhere else.

I think the occupation level in Canary Wharf is around 30-40% but quite a few of them are properties holiday properties / investment by foreign tax evaders so they never intended to be occupied.
    You can walk around in the evening and assess by the number of rooms that have no light coming from inside.

I didn't realise being woke was especially expensive. Or that most millennials were... everyone born since the 80s?
    I thought that the woke culture was meant to distract people from the actual issues of society. You can't complain of ever decreasing purchase power and a rentier society where we'd soon start buying underwear on credit ... when there are so many more oppressed categories than you.

bunch of nonsense since we are all worthless in the eyes of the ruling class.
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 21 June 2021, 20:17.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Poor millennials and their £100K incomes not supporting their woke lifestyle. Don't worry, blame it on the bogey-man. Sorry, what's the gender-neutral version of the bogey-man?

I didn't realise being woke was especially expensive. Or that most millenials were... everyone born since the 80s?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Poor millennials and their £100K incomes not supporting their woke lifestyle. Don't worry, blame it on the bogey-man. Sorry, what's the gender-neutral version of the bogey-man?

Last edited by Paralytic; 21 June 2021, 16:25.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X