• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GBNews go woke go broke?"

Collapse

• DonaldJTrump
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Equity release
    Cruises
    Tenor man/lady
    Life insurance
    Funeral plans
    Leave a legacy / Animal charities

A bit like watching Foyle's War then ... although disability scooters feature large during the breaks

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Perceiving you are treated differently due to your skin colour didn't used to be racism?
    Being treated differently because of your skin colour is racism.

Believing you are being treated differently because of your skin colour is open to interpretation.

The missing bit is proof.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Perceiving you are treated differently due to your skin colour didn't used to be racism?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Do you know the origins of the word? As if you did you wouldn't be throwing it around like you are.
    Well as suggested by others when I have raised similar before word meanings change. The original meaning seems to be to awakened to discrimination.

As racism has changed meaning from overt acts to perception of mistreatment based on your skin colour maybe both have evolved?

Woke in the UK has only really been common since the BLM farce so to me it means its current meaning of being excessively sensitive based on your perception of the way you or others are treated.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

any proof or are we to believe the usual unsubstantiated Blasterocks?

The majority of the UK population just want to get on with their life and are afraid of rocking the boat.

Woke is slowly cruising towards a reckoning.
    Do you know the origins of the word? As if you did you wouldn't be throwing it around like you are.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Don't be fooled by the first past the post system. 60% of the UK are woke, probably more when you count the woke Tories.
    Of course they are. That's certainly the narrative they like to present - everyone is woke, racism is rare, debate is over, etc.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Don't be fooled by the first past the post system. 60% of the UK are woke, probably more when you count the woke Tories.
    any proof or are we to believe the usual unsubstantiated Blasterocks?

The majority of the UK population just want to get on with their life and are afraid of rocking the boat.

Woke is slowly cruising towards a reckoning.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    GB News will ultimately make money. It will produce a lot of online content which will draw in foreign views and foreign advertising. This whole thing is just performance, for the brands and for the channel.

I'm not a fan of news as entertainment but the argument that it's sinister because it will lose money is utter mince.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I hadn't realised this was going to be a far-right hate-outlet until reading this story.

Got to love the message "our products are for everyone, so to support that we're not going to advertise them to people who might hold different views to us".

I don't believe most of these companies are left-wing/progressive/woke in the least anyway, it's just good PR to hate on the right. Kind of amusing that all these companies send the idea that the UK is progressive and left-wing, when we've voted in a Tory government 3 times in a row.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That's the plot of a James Bond film...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Making money? from the looks of it they have found a decent market, see how they are in 3 months if they have the same number of viewers that £10M will be a better investment than most.
    Making money, yes, not from commercial operation of a loss making station, but from influence peddling, that should be pretty obvious even for a cretin like yourself.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

BBC - UK taxpayer funded service
    Fox - closed News Channel
    Sky - proper very large commercial entertainment platform where News play minor role, money fund Premier League

So far so good.

So what would a fooking foreign hedge funder is trying to achieve by "investing" into news channel that will never be profitable as a proper company?
    Making money? from the looks of it they have found a decent market, see how they are in 3 months if they have the same number of viewers that £10M will be a better investment than most.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think you need to look at other tv stations such as BBC, fox & SKY.
    BBC - UK taxpayer funded service
    Fox - closed News Channel
    Sky - proper very large commercial entertainment platform where News play minor role, money fund Premier League

So far so good.

So what would a fooking foreign hedge funder is trying to achieve by "investing" into news channel that will never be profitable as a proper company?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Kopparberg hardly advertise on TV, they would have booked 1 advert and got the press release ready to go. All so tiring.

Pinterest pulled out. I mean, I watch a fair bit of tulipe TV and I have never, ever seen a pinterest advert.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's the goals of people funding it?

Why are they doing it?

Why is foreign funding even allowed for a TV news service?
    I think you need to look at other tv stations such as BBC, fox & SKY.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X