• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Covid - actually Boris may emerge as vaguely competent."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Wish I got paid 9.4m a year for making the worst decisions of my career
    Simple you haven't failed upwards enough. talk about visioneering and strategizing and this time next year Rodders!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Co-incidentally, I think Pascal is on record as saying that "his decision" of producing and distributing at cost
    It's for the first 12 months, after that they are allowed to sell at profit, which is fine really - VZ is very cheap indeed to produce.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Co-incidentally, I think Pascal is on record as saying that "his decision" of producing and distributing at cost, was looking to be the worst decision in his career.

This was during the first couple of weeks of the blood clot/side effects publicity which threatened to (or did?) do untold damage to the company reputation.

(Personally, I wouldn't worry about that, you have to go quite deep into depravity to catch up with Pfizer)
    Wish I got paid 9.4m a year for making the worst decisions of my career

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Co-incidentally, I think Pascal is on record as saying that "his decision" of producing and distributing at cost, was looking to be the worst decision in his career.

This was during the first couple of weeks of the blood clot/side effects publicity which threatened to (or did?) do untold damage to the company reputation.

(Personally, I wouldn't worry about that, you have to go quite deep into depravity to catch up with Pfizer)

A side note, I'd heard / read that they didnt "give away" the vaccine blueprint because there was a risk that "nations without capability" would try to manufacture it and that if anything untoward happened as a result, that Oxford would be blighted / implicated.

Personally, I'd like to believe that more than "Bill said so the Government acted" - because if that was the case, we wouldn't be where we are with our response. Bill started "Saying things" about pandemics a LONG time ago, particularly after MERS , which was scary.
    Last edited by Scoobos; 7 June 2021, 14:26.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It was allegedly UK Govt who chosen AstraZeneca, who had little vaccine experience vs some other much more experienced vaccine company
    Where did you get that from? No, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (more specifically Bill Gates) advised Oxford Uni to exclusively partner with AZ. Info is in one of the linked sources from the article Vetran shared:

https://health.wusf.usf.edu/health-n...with-drugmaker

Oxford initially were going to give away the tech but Bill said it wasn't a good idea so they didn't.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Problem is we don't know the CEOs name.

If you want to go down in history make sure everyone knows your name.
    Err... we do... It's not exactly a secret

https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-company/leadership.html

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It was allegedly UK Govt who chosen AstraZeneca, who had little vaccine experience vs some other much more experienced vaccine company

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

By the way, "We" as UK isn't correct, it's the CEO of Astra Zeneca who made it cost, we partnered with AZ to give them the vaccine design "gratis" as Oxford cannot actually produce it.
    Problem is we don't know the CEOs name.

If you want to go down in history make sure everyone knows your name.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Yes, research, not production , as I said.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

By the way, "We" as UK isn't correct, it's the CEO of Astra Zeneca who made it cost, we partnered with AZ to give them the vaccine design "gratis" as Oxford cannot actually produce it.
    hmm

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ublicly-funded

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

As I already said we have licensed AZ at cost it doesn't get much more charitable than that.

The rest of the world could come on board if they want.

India has massive vaccine manufacturing capacity built recently. If Africa, Arabia, and Asia wanted to get on board with this I suspect AZ & UK would assist.

It seems some nations are always expected to fix other nations problems for them not just assist the world to become a better place.

Sadly poor nations are poor because their rulers want this to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Well, lets hope they do - because Pfizer is a HORRIBLE company with zero ethics and it costs multitudes more than AZ. We need AFFORDABLE jabs in the arms of 3rd world countries NOW - or this will jump to animals and back again and risk us having even worse in future.

We need to LEARN From this - we are ONE world, the butterfly effect is proven now. We need to vaccinate everyone, evenly at pace. We can space race, and build nuclear weapons, we COULD do this as a world if we wanted to. I'm dreaming I know.

Getting the UK vaccinated wont help us when variants come round again , this is SarS2 remember.
    As I already said we have licensed AZ at cost it doesn't get much more charitable than that.

The rest of the world could come on board if they want.

India has massive vaccine manufacturing capacity built recently. If Africa, Arabia, and Asia wanted to get on board with this I suspect AZ & UK would assist.

It seems some nations are always expected to fix other nations problems for them not just assist the world to become a better place.

Sadly poor nations are poor because their rulers want this to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    multiples doesn't work and multitudes sounds more cleverer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Pfizer [...] costs multitudes more than AZ.
    Try again

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Public funds come from taxing private companies and their employees.
    Yeah which ones though? That's a key point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X