• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Defund this Policeman?"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So you are desperately clinging to a technicality how like an accountant.
    Hilarious. Just admit you're wrong.

So do YOU think accountants should be regulated by the government? As everyone seems to have a story about an accountant who was crap and cost them money.
    Really? I don't know anyone who has lost money due to an accountant. Or by 'everyone' do you mean you? Maybe if you were less simple, and did some due diligence when you engage someone to provide advice then you'd get a professional rather than a cheap imitation.

At least for next time you now know what a qualified chartered accountant means, and that they are regulated by their professional body - who has the ability to levy substantial fines on any accountant found to be guilty of wrong doing.

I am interested though, what poor advice did you get from your 'accountant' that has made you so bitter and lost you money?
    Last edited by Whorty; 25 April 2021, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

ah manic laughter - you having problems understanding?

Do you believe that people are forced to starve in the streets nowadays? To live in substandard housing ignored by the government?

True poverty as defined before the welfare state has been abolished. Interested parties have now redefined it as being a bit short.
    Sorry but you are really saying you didn't see this news story?

https://insidecroydon.com/2021/03/22...council-flats/

It was actually an ITN investigation but other news sources re-reported it.

It isn't a one off. However unless you know people who live in social housing you won't realised there are plenty of stories like this, and this is ignoring the substandard housing in the private rented sector. Councils ignore it unless the occupants know sufficient law to get it dealt with as they don't have the resources.

Oh and did you hear about that cladding scandal? It effects both home owners, part home owners and social tenants. They live in high and low rise buildings that are tinder boxes. They may appear OK to the naked eye but they are death traps and as such substandard. The government is aware of this but is refusing to take proper action to fund remedial works, meaning those who own or part own are going bankrupt and frequently ending up in poverty.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

This is what you said initially. And you're wrong but then I don't expect you to accept that you're wrong. You said accountants with chartered status should be regulated. I proved they are, by their accounting body.

Had you said, "anyone can claim to be an accountant, the law is weak in this area. Accountants should be regulated like IFAs and should only be allowed to trade as an accountant if you are qualified and a member of ", then you'd have been more correct.

But you didn't. Hence why you are wrong and, as usual, talking crap.

You also don't understand why accountants wouldn't be regulated via the Financial Ombudsman.
    So you are desperately clinging to a technicality how like an accountant.

So do YOU think accountants should be regulated by the government? As everyone seems to have a story about an accountant who was crap and cost them money.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

so why not just say it? I am right an IFA is regulated an accountant is not?

Or can't you admit when you are wrong?
    This is what you said initially. And you're wrong but then I don't expect you to accept that you're wrong. You said accountants with chartered status should be regulated. I proved they are, by their accounting body.
    I truly think accountants chartered status should be regulated like IFAs and have an ombudsman it seems you just need to pass your exams and hang a shingle with impunity.
    Had you said, "anyone can claim to be an accountant, the law is weak in this area. Accountants should be regulated like IFAs and should only be allowed to trade as an accountant if you are qualified and a member of <name your preferred accountancy body>", then you'd have been more correct.

But you didn't. Hence why you are wrong and, as usual, talking crap.

You also don't understand why accountants wouldn't be regulated via the Financial Ombudsman.
    Last edited by Whorty; 24 April 2021, 20:50.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You really have no idea do you?

And for the record, I know a little bit about IFAs and their quals etc ... Mrs W was an IFA when I met her (it's how we met), and she was as qualified and experienced as you could be (a Fellow), so please don't try to pretend you know what you're talking about just because you can use Google and copy/paste a link to a web page.

And I'm a qualified accountant, albeit CIMA (so not in practice), but again I have a pretty good idea how my profession is regulated.

Now run along little boy.
    so why not just say it? I am right an IFA is regulated an accountant is not?

Or can't you admit when you are wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

FTFY

ah so confirming my suggestion that anyone not in a professional body can be an accountant?

Are accountants legally responsible for their advice and subject to legal action if they file incorrectly on behalf of someone or give incorrect advice like say IFAs are?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...0its%20members.

oh look you just have to pass the exam, no legal framework no 'disbarring' just what I suggested.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...qualifications.
    You really have no idea do you?

And for the record, I know a little bit about IFAs and their quals etc ... Mrs W was an IFA when I met her (it's how we met), and she was as qualified and experienced as you could be (a Fellow), so please don't try to pretend you know what you're talking about just because you can use Google and copy/paste a link to a web page.

And I'm a qualified accountant, albeit CIMA (so not in practice), but again I have a pretty good idea how my profession is regulated.

Now run along little boy.
    Last edited by Whorty; 24 April 2021, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Deflecting again?

Trying to hide your ignorance of why accountants don't fall under the financial ombudsman.

Re justice, the first thing you should do is make sure you're engaging a qualified accountant and not someone claiming to be one. Easy enough to do, you can check with the relevant professional body. Then, if they misbehave (whatever you mean by that), you can take it to the professional body that they are regulated by.

It really is that simple, and I know you need simple

Well really It has to be simple I'm an accountant.
    FTFY

ah so confirming my suggestion that anyone not in a professional body can be an accountant?

Are accountants legally responsible for their advice and subject to legal action if they file incorrectly on behalf of someone or give incorrect advice like say IFAs are?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...0its%20members.

oh look you just have to pass the exam, no legal framework no 'disbarring' just what I suggested.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...qualifications.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Again I know I should have been taking more notice but the mob I was with "forgot" to do my end of year accounts so Companies House got on my case, they were telling HMRC that my wife was taking a wage from the company and I have no idea where they got that from but that meant UC wouldn't give us anything until we proved by means of showing them the bank accounts that this wasn't the case, basically I wasn't able to do my tax return myself because they somehow locked me out of doing that, and consequently my Ltd Co finished up being "Gazetted" because I was too concerned with learning to walk and managing a stoma to spend any time and concentration on it.

I was in a coma for 24 days, it really messes your head up and frankly I wasn't really firing on many cylinders.

All the accountant wanted was their monthly fees...

So. Given they will have "their side" of the argument, where do I go from this? Write it off to a piss poor accountancy practice?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Deflecting again?

Trying to hide your ignorance of why accountants don't fall under the financial ombudsman.

Re justice, the first thing you should do is make sure you're engaging a qualified accountant and not someone claiming to be one. Easy enough to do, you can check with the relevant professional body. Then, if they misbehave (whatever you mean by that*), you can take it to the professional body that they are regulated by.

* If you mean they give you financial advice that doesn't pan out, then maybe you should have gone to a professional IFA rather than an accountant. Just a thought

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Oh my maaate with an opinion everything. So if any accountant misbehaves its easy to get justice - how?
    Deflecting again?

Re justice, the first thing you should do is make sure you're engaging a qualified accountant and not someone claiming to be one. Easy enough to do, you can check with the relevant professional body. Then, if they misbehave (whatever you mean by that), you can take it to the professional body that they are regulated by.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You really do talk out of your @rse. Seriously mate, if you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably best to stay quiet.

Accountants don't fall under the Financial Ombudsman in the same way Lawyers or Estate Agents don't.
    Oh my maaate with an opinion everything. So if any accountant misbehaves its easy to get justice - how?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    but... but... that's what General is for!
    Fair point

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

You really do talk out of your @rse. Seriously mate, if you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably best to stay quiet.
    but... but... that's what General is for!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

They aren't, apparently anyone can present themselves as an accountancy firm. They MAY be chartered and MAY be a member of a professional body.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....ain-accountant

unlike an IFA.

Accountants don't fall under the Financial Ombudsman in the same way Lawyers or Estate Agents don't.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

They are

https://www.icaew.com/about-icaew/wh...ty%20assurance.

If you think all it takes to be a chartered accountant is to pass a few exams, why don't you give it a go? Easy peasy money
    They aren't, apparently anyone can present themselves as an accountancy firm. They MAY be chartered and MAY be a member of a professional body.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....ain-accountant

unlike an IFA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X