• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bugger I must be getting old!"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Make yourself comfy, sit down and have a cup of tea. Do you want the telly on? The telly! The telly! do you want it on? Look there... do you want it on?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Gonna take time to get used. 30 mins in and they were annoying me and ears were itching....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Went to Amplifon yesterday. Much better.
    Still not so keen on the way they price things. i.e. nothing on website.

Trying to get me to go for a pair that cost £2400. As opposed to ones that are £1600. Apparently, they are much better in noisy environments.
    Hmmmmm.

Nah don't see the point in bluetooth to be honest. I've got headphones for music, hands free in the car and Im ok with that.

Trouble is there are so many options it seems and they all try to push the "better" model.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    well complicated it seems
    Not really. The audiologist should be able to draw a graph of your hearing against the perfect result, and so show what bits you are missing. Simply making things louder doesn't work, you have to get your graph as close as you can to the ideal. So you want something that can program out those gpas by amplifying the missing frequency ranges.

Bluetooth is bloody useful.

Battery as opposed to rechargeable.

I went with the Phonak Audeo Marvel M70 pair. YMMV...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Lots. They all make things a bit louder. Most will allow which frequencies are made louder, so you fill in the gaps in the hearing curve (like mine, where I lose high frequency sounds while not having lost any hearing volume). Some add Bluetooth (useful, since apart from the app to control them you can also use them as earbuds for your phone and car). Some add noise cancellation (a feature I should have paid for in hindsight). Size is also a factor in cost - in ear more expensive than the rest

I went for the mid-range Phonak behind the ear pair for around £1600.
    well complicated it seems

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I did ask the audiologist how long the batteries lasted. "That rather depends how much you listen" she replied.... At work, wearing them roughly 14 hours a day, they would last 3-4 days roughly, or about a week of more casual use.
    So the batteries last 10 times longer in mens hearing aids than womens apparently?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Good idea about the nhs ones....

Yeh I saw specsavers did about 5-6 different "ranges". Did wonder what the difference was?
    Lots. They all make things a bit louder. Most will allow which frequencies are made louder, so you fill in the gaps in the hearing curve (like mine, where I lose high frequency sounds while not having lost any hearing volume). Some add Bluetooth (useful, since apart from the app to control them you can also use them as earbuds for your phone and car). Some add noise cancellation (a feature I should have paid for in hindsight). Size is also a factor in cost - in ear more expensive than the rest

I went for the mid-range Phonak behind the ear pair for around £1600.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Never trust a fart when you're over 40.
    Made me think of the weight loss stuff I had off the GP a good few years ago.....

I think I shat myself about 3 times in the first week. Never again...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    IIRC mine were around £1,600 - £1,700. They're from the SpecSavers Advance range, CIC (completely in canal), and at the time were one down from the most expensive ones. In reality, SpecSavers don't make them; they're made by Widex.

One tip is to get an NHS checkup too, as although it takes months before you'll actually be tested, it's free. Don't tell them about the fancy ones you've got privately, and they'll give you a pair of NHS ones (which will be programmed to suit your actual hearing profile, just like the fancy ones). Then you have the NHS ones in reserve just in case the fancy ones need to go in to be repaired or something
    Good idea about the nhs ones....

Yeh I saw specsavers did about 5-6 different "ranges". Did wonder what the difference was?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Never trust a fart when you're over 40.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Yeah, older sphincters are more relaxed making it easier

Blimey just spat my coffee out that was lower than I thought of going.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    You get buggered when you are old ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Yeah, older sphincters are more relaxed making it easier

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    You get buggered when you are old ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Colour Sergeant Bourne View Post
    Anyway... Mrs is saying my hearing is deteriorating but only noticible to me if I'm in a pub with a lot of background noise making it hard to make out conversations so it may be time to get it seen to
    So no excuses for the foreseeable then...

Leave a comment:

• Colour Sergeant Bourne
    replied
    I attribute my hearing loss to Army Cadets and days spent on the ranges shooting .303 & 7.72 stuff with no ear protection whatsoever & always used to leave the range with the old ears ringing
    Anyway... Mrs is saying my hearing is deteriorating but only noticible to me if I'm in a pub with a lot of background noise making it hard to make out conversations so it may be time to get it seen to

Think one of these will suffice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X