• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: A Level Screw Up

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A Level Screw Up"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not everyone got really great grades.

I heard complaints that some parents and pupils thought they had been downgraded due to the teachers being biased against them.

Also studies have shown that teachers have a habit of downgrading BAME pupils exam grades.
    But they got whichever was highest, predicted or algorithm grade. Although the algorithm still relied on teachers' student rankings of course. I would say teachers can generally tell who knows the subject and further are on the pupils' side, even the ones they don't like.

There may well be a systemic bias BUT let's recall A/A* grades increased about 50% comapred to 2019, and failures decreased about 90%, which is likely to overcompensate I would suggest.

Without an actual exam, parents are always going to complain their wonderful darling was 'cheated' out of what they deserved. But parents are horrendously biased... most likely those kids would've done as badly as their results suggest in the exams.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Everyone got really great grades without having to do any work, seems like a Labour policy anyway.
    Not everyone got really great grades.

I heard complaints that some parents and pupils thought they had been downgraded due to the teachers being biased against them.

Also studies have shown that teachers have a habit of downgrading BAME pupils exam grades.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Everyone got really great grades without having to do any work, seems like a Labour policy anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    What age will 16 and 17 year olds be next year?

And the year after?
    The poll was "tomorrow" not "next year or maybe the year after that". Easy to get confused.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why would they?
    What age will 16 and 17 year olds be next year?

And the year after?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why would they?
    whoosh....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I know its the mash joke article, but the reality is that the public loves a Tory government.

Unconditional love like only a mother can love a delinquent child.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I know its the mash joke article, but the reality is that the public loves a Tory government.

Of course they do. The government is doing such a great job.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Did they ask all the 16 and 17 year olds?
    Why would they?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Doubt it, they probably just use an algorithm to predict their voting intention

Full article here via Yahoo news

The Conservatives are up in the polls despite being heavily criticised for their response to the coronavirus pandemic and the handling of the exam results.

Tories currently have 43% of the vote compared to Labour's 36%, according to the latest YouGov/Times voting intention figures.

The Conservative party has increased its support by 3% from last week, with Labour falling by 2%.

The Tories managed to gain votes despite the ongoing criticism over their handling of the coronavirus pandemic, which saw yet another u-turn on wearing face masks in schools on Tuesday

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    ******* dickhead:

“Let’s be in no doubt about it, the exam results we’ve got today are robust, they’re good and dependable for employers,” Boris Johnson told reporters on 13 August.
    During a live address to pupils at a secondary school in East Midlands this afternoon, he blamed a “mutant algorithm” for the fiasco.

“I’m afraid your grades were almost derailed by a mutant algorithm,” he told them,” said Johnson. “I know how stressful that must have been for pupils up and down the country.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I am me.

You are my Russian sockie.
    That should be too embarrassing to admit!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    So the uni courses many applied for are now massively oversubscribed. Wow what a cluster f.

except of course all the foreign students won't come for a year or two.

20% grade inflation thanks to those nice teachers and the government couldn't fix it either. One despairs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X