• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Mon, May 10, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

A Level Screw Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A Level Screw Up

    A-levels: Growing anger over 'unfair' results this year - BBC News


    I'm sorry for all your kids. This government is totally incompetent. The Scottish government was incompetent and had to climb down. Hopefully Westminster government will.

    (Apparently, if your child was in a smaller class they are more likely to have got their teacher predicted grades.)
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

    #2
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    A-levels: Growing anger over 'unfair' results this year - BBC News


    I'm sorry for all your kids. This government is totally incompetent. The Scottish government was incompetent and had to climb down. Hopefully Westminster government will.

    (Apparently, if your child was in a smaller class they are more likely to have got their teacher predicted grades.)
    Which is likely to be the case in public schools. Coincidence?

    Comment


      #3
      The incompetence in Scotland was completely down to teachers putting grunts through as straight A students.

      The moderation to address that was fair. Now the results have absolutely no value whatsoever.

      I assume it is the same in England

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        Which is likely to be the case in public schools. Coincidence?
        Now I didn't say that but it is known wealthier areas tended to have smaller classes even in the state system.

        Listening to some Damian Hinds MP trying to say the grading system is fair on the radio.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          The incompetence in Scotland was completely down to teachers putting grunts through as straight A students.

          The moderation to address that was fair. Now the results have absolutely no value whatsoever.

          I assume it is the same in England
          There is a pandemic on.

          In England due to a certain Mr Gove scrapping AS levels and changing the A level system to exams only it is absolutely impossible to predict grades. In Wales due to the fact they still have AS levels pupils can be given their AS level result.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            There is a pandemic on.

            In England due to a certain Mr Gove scrapping AS levels and changing the A level system to exams only it is absolutely impossible to predict grades. In Wales due to the fact they still have AS levels pupils can be given their AS level result.
            That does not give teachers the right to bang up whole school's results by 20% more than they have or will ever get.

            At least the marks were standardised and the results were more accurate on the whole even if some people did get shafted. But that has no bearing in Scotland where they will do anything to keep votes.

            England has done the right thing, stuck by a fair moderation system but give options to take the prelim result or resit.

            Comment


              #7
              For years state secondary schools have fiddled and gamed the system - so that pupils score higher than they credibly deserve. All that has happened today is a rebalancing. Harsh; but true.


              Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                For years state secondary schools have fiddled and gamed the system - so that pupils score higher than they credibly deserve. All that has happened today is a rebalancing. Harsh; but true.
                Why are you so bitter?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Why are you so bitter?
                  Not even slightly bitter.

                  Just highlighting the truth.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Not even slightly bitter.

                    Just highlighting the truth.
                    The truth is out there.


                    Just not out of your mouth...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X