• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I just triggered a Millennial"

Collapse

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Don't forget recursion, they hate / don't understand that
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 12 August 2020, 13:53. Reason: Fixed it for you

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Ah.

Stack eating for beginners.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    One machine I used allowed one to build an instruction in a register and then execute it.

That was fun.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Once you've mastered the 'fashionable' GOTO band waggon, write some self modifying code.

Leave a comment:

• JamesBrown11
    replied
    Run the code through a minifier/obfuscator then hire an intern and tell him to refactor it

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Push the address on the stack and then return.

You lot really are amateurs.
    Pah. Read and write from the stack directly, you wuss.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Push the address on the stack and then return.

You lot really are amateurs.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    GOTOs are for lightweights. What you really need are assigned GOTOs, and lots of them.
    Yup, I was thinking that too.

Which I've only ever seen used in one program and I've never used it myself

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    GOTO is for amateurs.

Pros use JMP

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    GOTOs are for lightweights. What you really need are assigned GOTOs, and lots of them.

It's the programming equivalent of St Trinians girls hopping off their train, changing the points, hopping back on, and then heading off down a different set of tracks!

Shortly before leaving my first permie role many years ago, I wrote a vast COBOL program with loads of "ASSIGN TO PROCEED TO" statements, which are the COBOL equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I suggested implementing GO TO functionality in the rule engine syntax we're developing.

Off to the incinerator with me.
    GOTO has been a source of ire long before Millenials were old enough to land jobs!

I only discovered recently C# now lets you switch on, well just about anything... random values, strings, object types.

You can now literally compare apples and oranges.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Do you get extra points for triggering a millenial?

10 Print "Hello World"
    20 Print "I'm sorry. I don't understand that."
    30 Go To 10
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    This one is the client, and is, in fact, a pretty good programmer.

Leave a comment:

• JamesBrown11
    replied
    I found that the best way to trigger a millenial dev is to let them develop a larger feature and then reject it saying it's over-engineered garbage

Leave a comment:

Working...
X