• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Simple curry sauce recipe?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Simple curry sauce recipe?

Sweat onions, garlic, ginger and chilli peppers in quite a bit of oil. Do it slow. Once all soft add tomatoes (tinned or fresh), and tomato purée if you want a rich tomatoey gravy. Sweat for 5.
    Add your dry spices. I use paprika, cumin (lots), coriander, turmeric, maybe smoked garlic powder. Experiment yourself.

The trick here is to wait till the oil starts to float on top of the mixture. At that point add your meat and butter (or ghee). And cook.

At the end, salt, sugar and lemon juice to taste.

That is a Bradford Pakistani recipe so I will hear no wrong about it....

Get the hang of that method, and then start to experiment with the more exotic spices. It is amazing for something so simple.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Brown onions and red pepper slowly add garlic and curry spices, tin of tomatoes, salt, fresh coriander, a little honey, then poach meat. Add a spoon of plain Greek yogurt at the end and more fresh coriander. For extra yum, hard fry the meat with some spices and some lemon juice and add to the sauce at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Excursion UK
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    FFS don’t use curry powder, it’s vile stuff.
    I disagree.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Most commercial curry powders use way too much tumeric. No authentic recipe uses that level of tumeric. You barely need it and, if you feel you must add it, you only need a teaspoon max.

And turmeric has naff all super power health benefits, that's a massive swizz dreamt up on the back of shonky correlation.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I would have thought it ought to be possible to produce a half decent spice mix.

This seems to get good reviews.

Hungry Hijabi Spice Mix – Hungry Hijabi

As does this, which is based on a very old spice blend.

The Colonel's Curry Spice, Mild, Organic, Chiman's (26g)

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Most curries have a common base sauce.

slice dice and onion. In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds, add diced onions. Mash together garlic,ginger and green chilli. Add this to the pan. Once onions are cooked, add fresh tomatoes. Then add some cashews. Leave to cool. Then blend this up into a paste.
    put this paste back into the pan with a bit of oil.
    add freshly ground toasted coriander seeds, toasted and ground cumin. Chilli powder and Garamond masala. Add a spoon of turmeric. Let this cook through for about 5 mins.
    This really is the base sauce. You can add seasoning and sugar etc according to taste.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I'm idle in that I don't make my own garam masala - I tend to buy a nice jar of sauce (randang, massamam, butter chicken etc) - pre cook the meat in the sauce then add a jar of coconut milk. Not the healthiest of curries but it's bloody lovely with loads of gravy to wipe up with nan bread

Always add chick peas to indian curries and a tin of spuds to malaysian curries.

I think the joy of curries is you can add whatever you like to your own tastes and there are very few rules

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The Pataks' pastes are excellent, you just need more ingredients. Use the Korma paste for wifey compatibility.

My recipe for I make for the family.

Take a large pan on medium heat and add sunflower oil, not olive.

1) Add cardamon kernels and cloves in with a finely chopped large onion. Don't need to use both but I do, makes for a lovely flavour.

2) Dice the chicken flesh, add to pan. Sprinkle some garam masala (not too much).

3) Add some freshly chopped ginger.

4) Once the chicken is half cooked add the paste according to chicken used.

5) Add two tins of coconut milk.

6) Vegetables of you choice. I vary from sweet potato to cauliflower + chopped carrot. Usually cut in small length.

7) Chick peas or board beans (why are they so difficult to get in Germany?! We grow our own)

8) Add some sultanas (not always but make a nice change) or cashew nuts.

9) leave to simmer until the sauce is thicken slightly.

ingredients

Cardamon
    Cloves
    Garam masala
    Thimble size of freshly chopped ginger stem.
    2 x tins of coconut milk
    1 x good sized Sweet potato
    Chick peas
    Carrot
    Board beans
    sultanas / cashew nuts

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I made the qeema with quorn once. I'm having to control my gag reflex just typing that.
    Why? You make vegetarian curries with real vegetables.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I like the achar gosht, or the chicken tikka, tandoori, masala ones.

Defo made for a different palate. I made the qeema with quorn once. I'm having to control my gag reflex just typing that.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I used to go all in with the spices and do my own thing, cardamom, garlic, cloves, cumin, garam masala, coriander, vinegar, tomato.

I'm too lazy now and get a laziza spice mix.

Laziza Spices / Herbs

They are kind of overpowering, but I like them.
    Flippin’ heck, they’ve even got pasanda!

Ive got to get my order in...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I used to go all in with the spices and do my own thing, cardamom, garlic, cloves, cumin, garam masala, coriander, vinegar, tomato.

I'm too lazy now and get a laziza spice mix.

Laziza Spices / Herbs

They are kind of overpowering, but I like them.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Proper British curry mate: Chip shop curry sauce recipe | BBC Good Food

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    started a topic Simple curry sauce recipe?

Simple curry sauce recipe?

Looking for something I could dump chicken or prawns in. It needs to be not too hot for the missus. I can then add a ton of chilli to mine.

I've tried a couple of the Pataks' pastes but wasn't very keen on them.

I might try the recipe on the back of the Schwartz medium curry powder jar but not expecting much.
    Fry finely chopped onions.
    Add curry powder.
    Add tinned tomatoes and a bit of water.
    Add chicken pieces.
    Simmer to reduce.

Is there a better curry powder or spice mix?

Working...
X