• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What took them so long?"

Collapse

• Anonimouse
    replied
    It’s returned

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

George Orwell, 1984
    You know the manual!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

George Orwell, 1984

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Yes exactly, the joke was on us really as not getting over the war. Though, probably outdated now.

I think the Major, referred to Indians and Jamaicans in terms that are offensive. I wonder if this is the reason why it was removed.

I don't agree with it, I think we should be able to watch these things in context of the times. The same way many programmes from the 70s we find sexists now, almost in a funny way.

God knows what future generations will make of Love Island.
    Feck, I'm finding myself agreeing with you!

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Naked Attraction should be banned
    Live it alone. it has some nice content. i like the story line
    Last edited by Andy2; 12 June 2020, 15:02.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Not going to be much comedy or music left soon.

Need to search out old footage of Steve Hughes talking about political correctness.

If we are removing old comedy then why not racist rap music also!!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I think the Major, referred to Indians and Jamaicans in terms that are offensive. I wonder if this is the reason why it was removed.
    It is; nothing to do with Basil's manic ramblings about the war, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Why where else are you going to see the Sun & Guardian readers with their kit off?

Its so funny listening to them complaining about what the people in the box have when they are no great shakes themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Excursion UK
    replied
    The ironic thing is that it's not really racist.

I'd have thought the more contentious episode would be the one where the Major refers to Indians as w**s but maybe that snippet has already been excised from the Netflix offerings.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    It may be me showing my ignorance here so do feel free to say so, but...

I always saw that episode as being a piss-take of the British, and their constipated manners, not a crowing about "winning" the war.
    Yes exactly, the joke was on us really as not getting over the war. Though, probably outdated now.

I don't agree with it, I think we should be able to watch these things in context of the times. The same way many programmes from the 70s we find sexists now, almost in a funny way.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I always saw that episode as being a piss-take of the British, and their constipated manners, not a crowing about "winning" the war.
    Yep and he had concussion. There are a couple of bad words in the series so a bit of Guy Gisbon's dog dubbing and jobs a goodun.

Private Jones in Dad's Amy most likely had Shell shock (PTSD).

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied

"Nuance! Nuance! Burn the witch! Or I'll scream and scream and scream until I'm sick!"

Or some-such modern day wankery.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Fawlty Towers now. Looks like the mob is winning, and winning big...

Fawlty Towers 'Don't mention the war' episode removed from UKTV | BBC | The Guardian
    My German colleagues love that episode. Although it wasn't shown in Germany until relatively recently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X