• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Second Wave

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Second Wave"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Do you know that if you are dead, you will never die?
    No I'm not Ironborn.

(for reference if not seen or paid much attention to Game of Thrones: Drowned God | Game of Thrones Wiki | Fandom)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Yes, because there's more risk of dying from the virus in hospital, going by the daily figures. I also intend avoiding care homes for the same reason.
    Do you know that if you are dead, you will never die?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    With choice comes responsibility. Would you accept that if you are suitable for a vaccine and decline, that you will be billed for any NHS treatment you require for Covid-19?
    Yes, because there's more risk of dying from the virus in hospital, going by the daily figures. I also intend avoiding care homes for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    More studies about to be published...

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The leading contender is Remdesvir developed by Gilead, AFAIK.
    Not any longer

First trial for potential Covid-19 drug shows it has no effect | World news | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    The fact that this "strategy" (which stinks of Dominic Cummings) was considered at all seriously should mean that Whitty and his sidekick, Vallance (yes-men both, I know the latter from GSK) should be sacked.
    It's lucky that Neill Ferguson, and his colleagues at Imperial, were so appalled that they produced their seminal and influential paper, written mainly over the weekend of mid March.
    And lucky that his influence was such that there was a complete U-turn of policy.
    It's a scandal that the vast majority of the Uk is completely unaware of - the 2 week delay before lockdown while "herd immunity" was actually the proposed plan has no doubt resulted in many more deaths than were necessary.
    Saddest of all is that Cummings is still extant as is his puppet.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Those in the know are aware that this is the second wave - not the first.

"Where can the horizon lie when a Nation
    Hides its organic growth in a Cellar
    Dark and Grim

They must be very dim

I found him Mummy - can I keep him ?"
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 23 April 2020, 17:09.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    With choice comes responsibility. Would you accept that if you are suitable for a vaccine and decline, that you will be billed for any NHS treatment you require for Covid-19?
    That's not how the NHS works though is it ... else fatties with type 2 diabetes, smokers with lung cancer, RTAs from driving too fast/generally being a dick etc etc etc would also be asked to pay for their treatment

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    AKA "the survivors" of the zombie apocalypse these rushed to market vaccines will kick-off proper.

Personally, from all the evidence I've seen so far, I'm in a low risk group where asymptomatic or 'just a bit of flu' is likely (providing I'm not exposed to high viral load like the medics succumbing to it that are otherwise healthy), so will take my chances with the virus in it's many strains over one or more vaccines that may be needed to combat the worst of them. My body my choice.

I reserve the right to change my mind as more facts about the virus are known and we get closer to an actual working vaccine.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Hopefully he is right, but it won't be safe enough to use on mass scale, only for health workers and others who under much higher risk.

And then there are anti-vaxxers, who will be out in force with their tin foil hats.
    AKA "the survivors" of the zombie apocalypse these rushed to market vaccines will kick-off proper.

Personally, from all the evidence I've seen so far, I'm in a low risk group where asymptomatic or 'just a bit of flu' is likely (providing I'm not exposed to high viral load like the medics succumbing to it that are otherwise healthy), so will take my chances with the virus in it's many strains over one or more vaccines that may be needed to combat the worst of them. My body my choice.

I reserve the right to change my mind as more facts about the virus are known and we get closer to an actual working vaccine.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

knowing the french that is probably to stop an avalanche of patients Gauloise stubs killing all the nurses on the wards.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I find that hard to swallow.

you need to talk to NLyUK (s)he tells me its 99% technique!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    To be fair, the Russkies were at the forefront of bacteriophage research back in the USSR days.

Although a niche treatment, I believe it is very effective in certain cases, and natural bacteriophage viruses kill most cholera bacteria in Asian rivers.
    Also developed a few nice little stimulants like Feprosidnine and seemed to like producing some lovely athletes.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The fact that this "strategy" (which stinks of Dominic Cummings) was considered at all seriously should mean that Whitty and his sidekick, Vallance (yes-men both) should be sacked.
    It's lucky that Neill Ferguson, and his colleagues at Imperial, were so appalled that they produced their seminal and influential paper, written mainly over the weekend of mid March.
    It's a scandal that the vast majority of the Uk is completely unaware of.

Originally posted by Michael Gove
    People in this country have had enough of experts.
    In fact I'd say they're almost sick to death.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Herd immunity is a good strategy if to be achieved by vaccination, not if to be achieved by everyone getting sick. Health systems would collapse under the latter approach.
    The fact that this "strategy" (which stinks of Dominic Cummings) was considered at all seriously should mean that Whitty and his sidekick, Vallance (yes-men both, I know the latter from GSK) should be sacked.
    And lucky that his influence was such that there was a complete U-turn of policy.
    It's a scandal that the vast majority of the Uk is completely unaware of - the 2 week delay before lockdown while "herd immunity" was actually the proposed plan has no doubt resulted in many more deaths than were necessary.
    Last edited by sasguru; 23 April 2020, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X