• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fruit Pickers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fruit Pickers"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    oh yes combine this with not going mechanised and its pretty much the industries fault.
    That's not what I said. Well done for coming to your very own, special conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I wonder if the low wages are also partly due to supermarkets driving down the price of produce and people being so used to cheap food that they won't actually pay the true cost of its production. Similar happens in the dairy industry.

oh yes combine this with not going mechanised and its pretty much the industries fault.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    it is of course a global problem few farmers are willing to pay enough, the answer of course is to mechanise:

The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't - BBC News

Don't know about you, I would prefer to pick strawberries in California sunshine for £40 an hour than £9 in rainy Norfolk.
    I wonder if the low wages are also partly due to supermarkets driving down the price of produce and people being so used to cheap food that they won't actually pay the true cost of its production. Similar happens in the dairy industry.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Erm, students are not a race.
    no but "Brits too lazy to fruit pick" are
    Erm "Brits too lazy to fruit pick" isn't a race either.

In the late 80's students used to pick fruit. I remember avoiding it by getting a summer job programming.
    Its a continuous slur from the left who say we have to import Eastern Europeans to do the job Brits wont do.
    Well that's not true. It's a slur from the right and the liberals as well. You're just leftist.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    it is of course a global problem few farmers are willing to pay enough, the answer of course is to mechanise:

The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't - BBC News

Mr Pitzer says two thirds of the country's strawberry production is backing the move to mechanisation."Growers advertise and pay a lot of money - a good picker can make $30 (£22) an hour [in Florida]; in California it's $50 an hour," he says.
    But they still can't recruit enough workers.
    "People like to say if you paid them more they'd do the job, but it's just not true. We know in future that labour won't be available."
    Don't know about you, I would prefer to pick strawberries in California sunshine for £40 an hour than £9 in rainy Norfolk.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    No, I implied UK students were too lazy to pick fruit.

Please learn to read/comprehend. Not all students in the UK are British. Stop with the casual racism please.

Its a continuous slur from the left who say we have to import Eastern Europeans to do the job Brits wont do.

I'm just trying to explain its a financial decision people don't want the jobs because they are seasonal and relatively poorly paid for the effort involved.

I tried to add students so you understood even motivated people didn't want to fruit pick.

Odd students tend to work quite hard at menial jobs in my experience. I for one cleaned toilets and worked in restaurants to pay for college. My Daughters work in a chip shop while at UNI. Maybe you don't know any hard working students? I do notice many of the jobs that used to be taken by students are now done by Eastern Europeans. I wonder why?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Dunno. Does he know what a fruit looks like?
    The old man is happy with minimum wage to get down on his hands and knees for some fruit approaching its use by date.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You clean toilets and drive Ubers in cities and towns. If you pick fruit or veg you end up stuck in a rural location with no public transport.

yes but you can't Drive Ubers and all the hospitality areas are closed so both professions are without work.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Well its obviously not enough because all of the poorly paid Brits haven't chosen to do it instead of cleaning toilets or driving Ubers.

Whenever you find a shortage of low skilled workers there is normally a reason and its rarely laziness. Whilst many eastern europeans are hard workers so are Ugandans, Nigerians and Indians and there are plenty of thos eat the bottom end of the pay scales as they don't have UK qualifications but their kids will be Doctors & Lawyes.
    You clean toilets and drive Ubers in cities and towns. If you pick fruit or veg you end up stuck in a rural location with no public transport.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    no but "Brits too lazy to fruit pick" are
    No, I implied UK students were too lazy to pick fruit.

Please learn to read/comprehend. Not all students in the UK are British. Stop with the casual racism please.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 17 April 2020, 16:16.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Could PC do it? From a skills rather than a hard work perspective, naturally.
    Dunno. Does he know what a fruit looks like?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Is fruit picking low skilled? Knowing exactly which are ready to pick and which to leave a few more days, how to pick without damaging the fruit, etc?

Hard work doesn't mean low skilled.
    Could PC do it? From a skills rather than a hard work perspective, naturally.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Well its obviously not enough because all of the poorly paid Brits haven't chosen to do it instead of cleaning toilets or driving Ubers.

Whenever you find a shortage of low skilled workers there is normally a reason and its rarely laziness. Whilst many eastern europeans are hard workers so are Ugandans, Nigerians and Indians and there are plenty of thos eat the bottom end of the pay scales as they don't have UK qualifications but their kids will be Doctors & Lawyes.
    Is fruit picking low skilled? Knowing exactly which are ready to pick and which to leave a few more days, how to pick without damaging the fruit, etc?

Hard work doesn't mean low skilled.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Lord Rose wants students to become seasonal fruit pickers | This is Money

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Lord Rose wants students to become seasonal fruit pickers | This is Money

Leave a comment:

Working...
X